NEC DVD-RW: ND-4570 (16x) v AD-7170A (18x) - not obvious?

jlrm365

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Hello.

I have used the site a fair bit, though this is the first post I have made on the forum.

Looking at NEC's page, I am somewhat confused. The two models I mentioned seem to be the highest spec (without LabelFlash - which I do not want), but here is the confusion:

ND-4570:
NEC (UK) Ltd today announced the launch of the ND4570 drive, its fourth-generation 16x DVD writer with added RAM functionality.
The 4570 is the fastest DVD recorder on the market.

AD-7170A:
NEC presents the 1st generation of 18x DVD recording drive that supports all types of DVD and CD media currently available - in reading and writing.
The AD-7170A offers the fastest available DVD recording

It looks as though the AD-7170A should be quicker, as it continues:
... together with high speed CD recording and excellent read performance by utilising Sony NEC Optiarc’s know how to develop and produce highly reliable optical storage devices.

Have they not updated their pages or have they evaluated the two drives on different criteria? I quite like NEC hardware and so would like some clarification to help me choose.

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I have the 7170A and its a good reader and ok for writing to blank DVD media. I also have two Samsung SH-182 that is a good reader but better writer with blank DVD media.

jlrm365

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Ok. Good to know. I'll look into those, though I really am an NEC fan and would love someone to explain the difference between the drives I mentioned.

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
To bad they dont give the dates they did the reviews, as for the RAM disc part I dont use RAM discs that oftern as the burn speed is pretty slow. I dont have a NEC 4570 drive so I cant say much for it but one difference is the 4570 is a NEC drive and the 7170A is a joint drive between Sony and NEC making the new Optiarc line of drives.

jlrm365

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
That's no bad thing.

I lean toward the 16x drive anyway. There aren't too many who sell 16 media, so I can imagine that it would be ages before I saw 18x media. It stands to reason that 16 is the next step from 8 anyway. I don't even burn at 8, so more than that will be just extra - to me - for most tasks.

The reason I was asking about the 18x was just to compare. I do agree that the dates would be a big help.

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Sofar the only two brands of 16X media that are worth buying in my opinion are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, both can be burned over 16X in a number of the newer 18X drives that are out, but you wont get an average of 18X, you may see those speeds towards the end of the burn. I mostly burn at 8X for 16X media and 4X for 8X media. Some of these newer 18X drives can even get upto about 20X with Verbatim 16X media for a short time near the end of the burn.

jlrm365

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Taiyo Yuden I know about. I sometimes see those beside the Ritec I currently purchase. I just see that, when I burn something at 8, I get noticeable transitions on the disc. 4x seems to be the only speed at which the drive makes an even burn. Goodness knows what the drive is, as I just had it thrown in, before I knew any better - a long time ago. Now I know what I like and what to aim for. I'll be taking 16x if the person doesn't try and make me pay the extra few figures for an 18x. Oh the pain :wink:

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Most playback problems can be related to out of date firmware, burning to fast and or media, personaly I wouldnt buy Ritek, I only buy Verbatim and Taiyo Yudens Premium Line media. As for the two burners you mentioned I would easily take a Samsung SH-182 over both.