Task manager is greyed out

Hi.

I was hit with a virus from a site that ran scripted pages (went right past
my norton a/v...unbelivable...).
anyway, I was able to remove it manually, but it did create a few problems
with my O/S.
first, it greyed out the "Task maganer" in any place I would try to run it
(whether using CTRL+ALT+DEL or right click on the task bar etc.)
second it damaged the profile I was using when the virus hit
third, even when logging using a different profile, some functions of the
O/S are working in a funky manner, like trying to access folders on my C
drive via windows explorer's left pane are coming back with inaccessible
folder because of syntax error, though I can access that folder from the
right pane of explorer.

Has anyone ever experienced that? is there an easy fix to that? will
reinstalling or "reparing" the O/S help?

will appreciate any helping info

Allen
1 answer Last reply
More about task manager greyed

    Allen wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I was hit with a virus from a site that ran scripted pages (went right past
    > my norton a/v...unbelivable...).
    > anyway, I was able to remove it manually, but it did create a few problems
    > with my O/S.
    > first, it greyed out the "Task maganer" in any place I would try to run it
    > (whether using CTRL+ALT+DEL or right click on the task bar etc.)
    > second it damaged the profile I was using when the virus hit
    > third, even when logging using a different profile, some functions of the
    > O/S are working in a funky manner, like trying to access folders on my C
    > drive via windows explorer's left pane are coming back with inaccessible
    > folder because of syntax error, though I can access that folder from the
    > right pane of explorer.
    >
    > Has anyone ever experienced that? is there an easy fix to that? will
    > reinstalling or "reparing" the O/S help?
    >
    > will appreciate any helping info

    Hi,

    At least for the Task Manager issue, you can use this one (will work
    for Win2k):
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Task Manager Windows