Sign in with
Your question

DX10 now or upgrade later?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2007 4:51:32 PM

So I was thinking of spending about $150 on a video card and upgrading later on to a DX10 card. I put an order in on newegg for a SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 for $171.12 with shipping. But now Im thinking I will need to upgrade anyways to DX10 maybe I should have spent the $400 now rather then spend $171 now and like $250 later. I could have the good card now and end up saving money in the end. Also I was thinking of buying it from ebay to save even more money. Is that worth the risk? Im really thinking about cancleing my order with new egg.

More about : dx10 upgrade

a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 5:16:26 PM

i agree with mr. family.

the x1900 is a good card and should last you till this summer or later.

the way it looks is dx10 games wont start popping up
til this summer or later.

hell it looks like it might be towards the end of the year.

and then there will probably only be a handfull of them by then.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 5:17:47 PM

its like dualcore, they have been out for a while and are just starting to
get going.
Related resources
January 6, 2007 5:23:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. What im thinking is if I buy this card now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... for $400 it would be cheaper then spending $171 now and $250 at the end of the year and I would be set for a good long time. Also I have an E6700 duo core and I kinda wana use it. Looking at spending $400 on a card is pretty scary though.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 5:26:07 PM

that would work just fine.
January 6, 2007 6:07:03 PM

do not change a thing. go with the X1900. It is a very good card and you will be happy. Dont waist your money. Just think about it. by the time direct X 10 games actually do start to come out strong there will be a much bigger line up as far as cards go. and they will be much cheaper. That and you have to fork over the cash for windows vista. that isnt cheap either, and vista is a hog, it would probably be a good idea to add more ram when moving over to vista. I say go with the x1900. It is the smarter choice at this point in time.
January 6, 2007 6:46:33 PM

Not trying to be stubborn but am I missing something in my logic? How much cheaper could the DX10 cards get? Its about $400 now and even if it drops down to $200 in a year it would still be worth it to spend $400 now then to spend $171 now and $200 in a year right?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 8:17:59 PM

Quote:
Not trying to be stubborn but am I missing something in my logic? How much cheaper could the DX10 cards get? Its about $400 now and even if it drops down to $200 in a year it would still be worth it to spend $400 now then to spend $171 now and $200 in a year right?

there will probably be dx10 cards for around 250 or less in a few months.

or less. maybe a month or 2 at the most.
January 6, 2007 8:53:04 PM

What's the point of getting such a "high-end" card? The card will be the best on the market for a short time, then Nvidia and ATI will be at it again to see who will make the cheapest/best cards. Wait until then. :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2007 9:03:58 PM

Quote:
What's the point of getting such a "high-end" card? The card will be the best on the market for a short time, then Nvidia and ATI will be at it again to see who will make the cheapest/best cards. Wait until then. :) 

i agree the op listed a 88gts which which is what i would get.

if i was to upgrade my gpu right now.

my 68gt plays all the games i play great and at high settings.

except for oblivion and f.s.x.
and it plays them--- -- well pretty good.

im going to wait till this summer to upgrade.
see whats out then.
!