removing "index dat" files

I read somewhere the following ,to remove the "index dat" files.
I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?
Go to a command prompt in safe mode and do the following.

>>just go to the root (c:\) by typing CD\

then type del index.dat /s then enter

and all the files names index dat in your computer will be deleted
permanently. <<

Thanks for your comments. phil
4 answers Last reply
More about removing index files

    Completely Deleting the Temporary Internet Files and index.dat
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    --
    HTH
    Meena
    "phil" <pvandermeeren0522xyz@yrogers.com> wrote in message
    > I read somewhere the following ,to remove the "index dat" files.
    > I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?
    > Go to a command prompt in safe mode and do the following.
    >
    > >>just go to the root (c:\) by typing CD\
    >
    > then type del index.dat /s then enter
    >

    > and all the files names index dat in your computer will be deleted
    > permanently. <<
    >
    > Thanks for your comments. phil

    >> I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?

    It's not a safe procedure. It's possible that a 3rd party application is
    also using the file name Index.dat. For example, Help and Support maintains
    an Index.dat file in this folder:

    C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache

    Deleting this Index.dat will cause problems with either Help Center or
    MSInfo32, and there is NO way to extract this from from CD.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "phil" <pvandermeeren0522xyz@yrogers.com> wrote in message
    >I read somewhere the following ,to remove the "index dat" files.
    > I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?
    > Go to a command prompt in safe mode and do the following.
    >
    >>>just go to the root (c:\) by typing CD\
    >
    > then type del index.dat /s then enter
    >

    > and all the files names index dat in your computer will be deleted
    > permanently. <<
    >
    > Thanks for your comments. phil

    Thank you , Appreciated.Good day . Phil

    You're welcome Phil.