removing "index dat" files

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I read somewhere the following ,to remove the "index dat" files.
I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?
Go to a command prompt in safe mode and do the following.

>>just go to the root (c:\) by typing CD\

then type del index.dat /s then enter

and all the files names index dat in your computer will be deleted
permanently. <<

Thanks for your comments. phil

Completely Deleting the Temporary Internet Files and index.dat
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

--
HTH
Meena
"phil" <pvandermeeren0522xyz@yrogers.com> wrote in message
> I read somewhere the following ,to remove the "index dat" files.
> I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?
> Go to a command prompt in safe mode and do the following.
>
> >>just go to the root (c:\) by typing CD\
>
> then type del index.dat /s then enter
>

> and all the files names index dat in your computer will be deleted
> permanently. <<
>
> Thanks for your comments. phil

>> I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?

It's not a safe procedure. It's possible that a 3rd party application is
also using the file name Index.dat. For example, Help and Support maintains
an Index.dat file in this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache

Deleting this Index.dat will cause problems with either Help Center or
MSInfo32, and there is NO way to extract this from from CD.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"phil" <pvandermeeren0522xyz@yrogers.com> wrote in message
>I read somewhere the following ,to remove the "index dat" files.
> I wonder if this is a safe procedure to follow ?
> Go to a command prompt in safe mode and do the following.
>
>>>just go to the root (c:\) by typing CD\
>
> then type del index.dat /s then enter
>

> and all the files names index dat in your computer will be deleted
> permanently. <<
>
> Thanks for your comments. phil

You're welcome Phil.

--