alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
hello,
I am looking for a new mobo with SLi feature..
and while i was searching for a cheap board,
I remembered nVidia's idea of SLi Physics.
From my understanding, SLi required same graphic card..?

SLi physics = same gpu required?
or is it like ATi's triple play,
where the card for physics can be different card then for graphics?

does anyone know if current nforce 4 sli will support sli physics?
or nforce 4 is obsolete?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
sli physics isnt all its cracked out to be...which is why we silently saw the campaign for it dissapear. I wouldnt worry about it at this time.

Some of the info present is promising, but SLI 7xxx series still can process "true" physical calculation.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
actually with this new design taking by nVidia, i actually think they are going to go after physics processing.

In case your not aware of how SLi physics works, it utilizes one card in SLi or Quad-SLi to process physics, which on paper sounds great because if you have SLi already you won't need anything special. But i don't think there concept mesh's well with traditional SLi and is more suited for Quad-SLi where you can sacrifice a GPU at not cost to performance at all. Technically all the same rules would apply to SLi physics as it would non physics SLi because there physics solution is part of SLi.

ATi has the right approach but i don't think were gonna see either of there techs out till 2008-2009.

SLi Physics is just paper right now and maybe a myth. so don't hold your breath till we see something solid.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I'm very well aware how the system works.

But the thing, the memory cache' and architecture dont allow for true physics processing. Light particles and reaction yes, but something like a wall falling down, or destruction is still handled by the CPU. and I love how NV says they'll relate the processed data directly to the DX driver without the intervention of the CPU?? :lol: :lol: :lol: I've still yet to hear anything more.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Right. As I remember the whole deal - the 7xxx models could be paired up with a, say, G80 or 8xxx series card and used as physics only. Ofcourse one core in a multiple core CPU could be given instructions to process physics also, one or the other will come to be. Most likely the CPU will be chosen, don't you think? To do this as using the other PCI-E slot will shut down SLi graphics (unless we start seeing certain mboards sporting 3+ PCI-E 8O ) imo. From a business point of view :?

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
oh i didnt doubt you knew i just wanted to provide a little background on the theory for the original poster so he understood that because it SLi, the rules for SLi would apply.

i agree with your sig GO BUCKEYES!!!

I think ATi will be Ageia's true physics competitor myself

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
There are already motherboards with more than 2 PCI-e slots 680i boards can support full 16x bandwidth with an additional 8x PCI-e slot.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
There are already motherboards with more than 2 PCI-e slots 680i boards can support full 16x bandwidth with an additional 8x PCI-e slot.

lanes aren't an issue as graphic cards don't even use 100% of the a single x16 slot... the big thing will be implementation, if ATi can build all the physics engines and SDK API's into all there GPU's like they claim they can then ATi wins the physics battle all the way. But its years off, no ones even seen a working prototype outside the demo ATi showed but wouldn't let people touch and the paper talk nVidia let out.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004

Thats true. Why not build the physics engine around the 8x slot instead of having the 7xxx using up a 16x slot that could house a videocard, if nV chooses to utilize the 7xxx for physics.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

Thats true. Why not build the physics engine around the 8x slot instead of having the 7xxx using up a 16x slot that could house a videocard, if they choose to utilize the 7xxx for physics.

That is ATi's solution, say using current generation hardware.

2 X1950XT's in CrossFire on x16 lanes each
1 X1650Pro running on the x8 slot for physics only

couple there concept with ATis raw calculating power, thats how i conclude they will win if they can implement it right.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004

Thats true. Why not build the physics engine around the 8x slot instead of having the 7xxx using up a 16x slot that could house a videocard, if they choose to utilize the 7xxx for physics.

couple there concept with ATis raw calculating power, thats how i conclude they will win if they can implement it right.

:) Heh heh, anyone wanna cook an egg with a 1KW PSU? :)

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

lanes aren't an issue as graphic cards don't even use 100% of the a single x16 slot... the big thing will be implementation, if ATi can build all the physics engines and SDK API's into all there GPU's like they claim they can then ATi wins the physics battle all the way. But its years off, no ones even seen a working prototype outside the demo ATi showed but wouldn't let people touch and the paper talk nVidia let out.

I meant to add that in there. Forgot though. I was simply pointing out that Motherboards already have more than two slots.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

I would hope you could do one X1950XT and one X1650pro for graphics and physics respectively.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I would hope you could do one X1950XT and one X1650pro for graphics and physics respectively.

haven't seen them say anything about it anywhere or i may have and i just don't remember right now (long night of the drinky drinky) but from what i understand the the 3rd PCI-e slot is reserved for x8 only and for a twin card non CF setup, meaning you could run 1/1 Graphics/Physics or Graphics/Graphics for a 4monitor setup or twin 30" setup

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I still say Ageia wins because, well they have ACTUAL physics card! that does wait for it..... PHYSICS!

All this SLI/CS physics is a just a bunch of Business BS to get people to buy 3 GFX cards.....

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I still say Ageia wins because, well they have ACTUAL physics card! that does wait for it..... PHYSICS!

All this SLI/CS physics is a just a bunch of Business BS to get people to buy 3 GFX cards.....

be reminded Ageia doesn't do physics very well at all so they left the table wide open for ATi and nVidia to try there versions

in a few years about the time DX10 gets adopted we will really see who the physics champ is.

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006

Are you suggesting we put that inside a 4x4?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

Yeah that's great ! :roll: Nothing takes full use of it yet and I don't think I've heard anything that might. The only thing that comes to mind that uses the PhysX card would be GRAW and that seems to have been slapped on at the last minute.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004

Are you suggesting we put that inside a 4x4?

No need for a furnace.
We forgot a much needed Pentium 4 equivelent processing unit for music; the X-Fi. You may be able to build muscle just lifting the motherboard :D

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006

Yeah that's great ! :roll: Nothing takes full use of it yet and I don't think I've heard anything that might. The only thing that comes to mind that uses the PhysX card would be GRAW and that seems to have been slapped on at the last minute.

Well if dont believe me here, an UPDATED story with Ageia

"First, I want to tell you a little bit about AGEIA's latest advancement in their physics engine. This update is SDK version 2.6 and includes a plethora of new and exciting physics capabilities. These features range from the deformable metals, impact retention, self-collision prevention, Vista and Linux support, and more optimizations of existing features"

http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35479/

And we all know GRAW(for PC) is a horrible game you just point out the obvious, Cell factor shows the raw power and what you are able to do with Ageia's Card, o and mind you its PCI so u dont need a 3rd PCI-E slot to run physics if u have SLI/Or CS

You guys who posted here said it yourself nVIDIA and ATI have yet to offer a GAME that boasts use of SLI physics.

"But its years off, no ones even seen a working prototype outside the demo ATi showed but wouldn't let people touch and the paper talk nVidia let out."

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
well theres more than one issue with keeping the PPU on PCI slot
1) most gamers who will buy a PPU has a sound card
2) very few boards or SLi/CF setups allow for two PCI slots to used
3) IF they can use two PCI slots the combined bandwidth usage from a sound card and PPU would start to bottleneck actually hurt peroformance or be wasted money

moving to the PCI-e slot is actually the best idea, so nVidia/ATi will have an edge in this respect, whereas ATis approach is logically better, but yes there only paper now, so yes Ageia is the king of physics till then, but we won't see any real physics competition till DX10 becomes the standard