e6300 running hot, looking for help

spume

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Well, I just got my new setup in the mail. Asus P5B-E paired with a e6300 and 2g G.Skill DDR800. Using the stock cooling Core Temp has me at 45c Idle and up to 58c load. I was planning on doing some slight OC with stock cooling, looking at the 2.6-2.8 range and I have heard that it was really doable. But those temps appear high for what most people say with stock cooling and no OC. I went out and got some AS5 and it didn't drop my temp 1o. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first - heat setting thermal compound takes a week to totally flow. 2nd, u only slightly hot. if oc your probably ok!

did u spread the compound evenly? did u enough and no too much? both will even out with time?

did u press the intel type heat sink in criss cross pattern? this will even out with time.

check your heat sink and press the tabs make sure its secure - sometimes one tab pops loose.

finally - if u still think its hot pull the heatsink and check see if the compound is even on both sides. many times u get a really expensive heatsink and it does not fit the board right and there is not enough pressure so it only partially is in contact - you see high temps - 10c higher then normal

good luck!

spume

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
It's not OC'd yet, it's stock at 46 idle and 57 max load. Mostly it hovers in the 55-56 range with 57 from time to time. One thing that has me freaked out is on SpeedFan 4.31 there is a temp for Aux that is reading 117, no idea what that is.

The Arctic Silver5 is spread evenly as far as I can tell, and i'm pretty sure I didn't put too much. And the stock intel HS is secured on.

LaRoacha

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
what's your case temp? I just put together a new system with a 6300 and I'm running 34 idle with a 32 case temp, and I just used the pastey thing that comes on the heat sink instead of artic silver. I live in Texas and during the summer it get's pretty warm in my computer room upstairs, so I expect I'll be seeing alot higher temps come summer. Odd thing though, I upped the FSB to 275 for a core speed of 1925 and my cpu seems to be running cooler for some reason. I'll keep dickin' with it to see what I get.

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I've heard that Core Temp reads 15c higher than the BIOS. For example, my E6300 (3.1GHz) is reported to be 65c in Core Temp, which would be 50c in the BIOS. I've had it working at this frequency for months now, and nothing bad has happened to me...

EDIT: And SpeedFan, quite often actually, reads in weird values for temperatures and voltage rails. Nothing to worry about. I've had Speedfan report that my +12v rail is in the negatives.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
We usually get those temps after overclocking - since i overclock every computer i build. With C2D it possible since it has a small thermal profile that overclocking the temps are the same.

When we build systems, we burn them in bios for 2-3 days at high overclocking. Turn off the oc, install os and program then reoverclock lower then the burn in.

Its work well enough that we have zero failures on 100% oc systems.

Last E6300 was set at 425 fsb bios burn in 380 shipped. I think it was 2.67 ghz, from 1.83.

max temp was like yours around 55c with asus AI, and idle was 33c in the bios