Are my new and old PSU dead?

frost47

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
I just bought a new case (Centurion Cooler Master) and PSU (Thermaltake 430W) and trasnsferred everything over. I tested the PSU by hooking it to one of my hard drives beforehand, and had no response (no fan movement). I proceeded to move the components from old case to new case and hooked them all up to the PSU. I then turned on the PSU and no response again, altough I can hear a very faint high pitched sound when its on. The motherboard light does not light up the case fan does not spin. After this I tried hooking up my old PSU (200 W) to the motherboard and it wont light up, I also tried hooking to the case fan and nothing. I was just usiing that PSU in the old case not more than an hour ago. Any idea what happened. I find it hard to believe that both PSU's are dead. Is there any other way I can test them? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks. -tim

frost47

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
thanks for the quick reply. Would I be able to check the PSU by directly hooking to a periepheral such as the case fan, bypassing the motherboard altogether. How can I identify a short in the motherboard? Just make sure everything is firmly connected? I believe I only have the drive ribbons, LAN card, and video card hooked up now.