8800 GTX series, which one to pick?

hybrid11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Does anyone know any sites which have compared BFG's, eVGA's, XFX's and others nvidia 8800 GTX series? I am assuming they all benchmark pretty much the same?
As well, I am trying to decide on which one to get, I haven't bought any cards made from those companies in the past, could you guys post your opinions about them please?
Thanks

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Good idea to get input from other users. You might also want to hit up each manufactures website to check their warranties and policies to see which best fit your needs.

XFX Support

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I used BFG before and they seems to be one of the best. Evga has a trade up program which means within 90 days of your purchase you can return your card and trade it up to a better card if one would come out within that period.
I think XFX has the XXX version of the 8800GTX which is overcloked so it is faster than the rest of the 8800GTX cards.

I am sure it won't be long before the overclocked version of these cards will hit the shelves from the other manufacturers as well.

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm not here to tell anyone what to do but I would like to offer a suggestion. Hold off a few months if you can and wait for R600. Early benchmarks look like it will be even faster than the GTX is. If you cannot wait, then good luck on finding a good card.

Patience is a virtue! :D

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I'm not here to tell anyone what to do but I would like to offer a suggestion. Hold off a few months if you can and wait for R600. Early benchmarks look like it will be even faster than the GTX is. If you cannot wait, then good luck on finding a good card.

I totally agree on the waiting part! These cards will be good for a short time, and after that time, better, cheaper cards will come out.

hybrid11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

Do you have a link with those benchmarks? I would like to wait for the R600 but I need a computer in the next couple weeks and according to this forums it won't be released earliest by February...
I think I might get the XFX XXX version, does anyone have any experience with it?

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
From what I'm hearing though the R600 will have a lot more floating point performance (25-40% in some cases) than G80 so waiting will be the best idea. Or wait for the nVidiot's respins with more power (G86) that's going to be comparable, if not better than R600.

Really, do what I did - buy a decent (and really cheap) DX9 card off ebay and save your money for the much faster cards coming out. They're just around the corner. The best advice I can offer.

Or if you absolutely can't wait and are willing to have second (or third) best in a month or two, OCZ, BFG, and XFX I believe, are flogging overclocked G80 cards as we speak.

hybrid11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
i was actually thinking of doing that, but none of my friends have any old PCI express card, so I was hoping I could find an integrated graphics on the Asus P5B but it doesnt...
whats the cheapest PCI-E or PCI (if those still exist) card?

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
If you just need a card to get you by, there are a lot of good deals on 7600gt's out there. Are they the fastest cards? NO. Will they get you by with decent performance and good price? YES!!

Having said that, the 7600 is admittedly a mid-range card, but I don't think you need a worldbeater for something that is simply a stop-gap measure. Oh yeah, and here are those benchmarks:

http://level505.com/2006/12/30/the-full-ati-r600-test/1/

Enjoy! :D 8)

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
here are those benchmarks:

http://level505.com/2006/12/30/the-full-ati-r600-test/1/

Enjoy! :D 8)

Just one thing about that website, it is a fake. So i would wait until the card will actually gets released. There was a whole other forum discussion about that. If you notice it that storie is the only one on their website and the site was registered the same they they released that review, also the Oblivion benchmarks of the 8800 cards are way off. But if you want to believe to that site it is your choice.

How good the R600 is going to be we will have to wait and see. Lot of people have high hopes for that card let's hope that it won't suck. As for the cheapest PCI-E card that would be the Nvidia 7300. I picked one up for like $50. If you want a better performing card the 7600 is a good mid range.

hybrid11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
PCI card should work as well though right?
I don't know if I should wait for the R600 though, rumors are saying its delayed until march...and I need a solid system soon for some 3D editing

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
If you want an 8800GTX then buy one. Yes you could wait for two or three months for the R600s, the performance of which no one knows yet, but even if they are better, then what? Wait for the 8900s and see if they are better? This is the dilemma faced when buying any computer components, they will always be improved upon a few months down the line, or become cheaper. But if you've got the dough and the desire then I'd go for it, and be satisfied you've got a great card.

hybrid11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
If you want an 8800GTX then buy one. Yes you could wait for two or three months for the R600s, the performance of which no one knows yet, but even if they are better, then what? Wait for the 8900s and see if they are better? This is the dilemma faced when buying any computer components, they will always be improved upon a few months down the line, or become cheaper. But if you've got the dough and the desire then I'd go for it, and be satisfied you've got a great card.

I completely agree with you, I was actually going to just get an 8800 GTX, and not bother waiting for the R600. But with recent rumors that I have been reading, and considering DX10 isn't even out yet, I am leaning towards waiting for the R600...but you are completely right

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[/quote] considering DX10 isn't even out yet[/quote]

Yeah, I suppose in a few weeks we'll have some more meaningful benchmarks.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I'd just pick the one with a proper air cooling system - i.e. - the one that blows air out of the case. the minor differences in clock/mem speeds are not gonna change your gaming experience much. the FPS is either going to be well above your eye's recognition ability , or slow (oblivion at max).

scrag_meister

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Fully agree with GSTe, with the speed at which the graphics card market moves, whenever you decide to buy it will be obolseted in a month by the next best thing. 8800 -> R600 -> 8900 -> R700 -> 9000 -> R800.... etc You'll never be at the cutting edge for very long.

I finally jumped last month after preparing for 12 months!!! :)

Bought the XFX 8800 GTX and am more than satisified.

Whatever you go for, have fun.