Floodland

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
About half a year ago I first bought some stocks, and now I've got a profit of a little over €1,500. Posting here means that I'm going to spend it on a new rig, to replace the old P4 which has served me well for about 2 years and a bit less for the two years after that. I expect my new machine to last four years, including mid-life updates. With the C2D being a good overclocker, I'm also going to try that, but nothing too heavy.
I've done my homework, and here's what I've come up with. Prices are the lowest I could find, but remember that Europe is bloody expensive when it comes to computer hardware.

CPU: C2D E6600, €313
RAM: Corsair TwinX2048MB DDR2 PC6400 CL4, €325
MB: Asus P5B-E, €162
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATAII, €94
GPU: Point Of View GeForce 7900 GS 256 Mb, €228
PSU: Antec NeoHE 550W, €128
Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 532, €60
Cooler: Antec Freezer 7 Pro, €30

For a total of €1340. Plus DVD writer, CDRW drive, Floppy disk, and a monitor. Still looking into those, I'm not building tomorrow, but rather at the end of the month.

So here's where you come in. Any ideas, advice, or general remarks? Mainly the RAM is troubling me: is it suited for moderate oc'ing? There's also TwinX PRO memory, but it comes at a rather hefty €60 bonus. RAM is a complete bitch to buy here: anything high-end is horribly overpriced compared to the US. But as I said before: I want the core of this machine to last at least four years. My old machine will replace the family's P3 (8 years old), and the new one will probably do the same within 4 years. Which means that I want lasting quality.
The vid card is to be replaced within 12 to 24 months with a DX10 type one, when I have the money and actually feel like buying one. ;)
Going to use this mainly for gaming, and to write a PhD thesis on, so I do need to be able to scroll quickly. :p

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Most of it seems to be good. If your gonna upgrade to a DX10 card, then you might want to consider holding off on the 7900 and getting like a 7600. in fact, at the equivalent prices of 7600s, ATI will give you more bang for your buck. You could look into mid-to-high range ATIs and see what is available.

The processor, HDD, and cooler would be good choices. If you are gonna upgrade to a DX10 card, you could used the money saved by lowering from the 7900 and get a more powerful psu. Im not exackly sure what the power requirements of the current 8-series cards are, but you could consider a few more watts.

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Everything looks nice,but you could save some money if you replace the 7900GS with a 7600GT.No big difference in performance,but you should be able to find one for about 140-150 euro.I live in denmark,and here you can find one at about 130 euro,and spend the money on a beefier psu or monitor.

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Everything looks nice,but you could save some money if you replace the 7900GS with a 7600GT.No big difference in performance,but you should be able to find one for about 140-150 euro.I live in denmark,and here you can find one at about 130 euro,and spend the money on a beefier psu or monitor.

I didnt just say exactly that in the post above or anything. Not at all.

Floodland

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I've done a quick search for better PSU's, but I'm not really sure I need more power. I'm not going to do SLI or Crossfire (not ever), so I think I'll get by with less than 650W. However, I did find a HIPER HPU-4K580 580 W - Type R at €99 which got nice reviews, so I might decide to go for this one. I will double-check when I've got some more time.

Considering the GPU, you guys are probably right. Found an XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX 256MB for €168 which looks like a decent option.

DragonSprayer, sound is, how odd it might seem, not really a problem. I can only barely tell the difference between mp3's encoded in 128 or 192 bits, so I can go for a little less. ;)

Any ideas on the RAM? This one really bugs me. :)

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I´m sorry if you feel that i copied you,i just replied before i read on. I just do it because sometimes the original post gets a little twisted after a few replys.

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I´m sorry if you feel that i copied you,i just replied before i read on. I just do it because sometimes the original post gets a little twisted after a few replys.

Oh im not mad or anything. I just was in a sarcastic mood, and found an opportunity.