Gaming system build. Please help

xskx

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Hello...

So far this is what I have for my new build.

CPU = E6600
CPU cooling = Zalman 9500
Mobo = Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Video = EVGA 8800GTS
Memory = CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4
PS = PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V

I dont plan on OCing because I have never done it before. And with the money Im going to spend, hopefully i wont have to OC.

Im getting the zalman 9500 to make my system quiet.

Will the MOBO I have be good enough if i dont plan on OCing? Should I buy a better MOBO since im not going to OC.

Also, will 610W power supply be enough for the 8800GTS?

I have a 22 inch LCD monitor so i will be running games on 1600x1000 or whatever it was. With the games out now and the games that are planning to come out with DX10, do i need to go Sli? Or will just one 8800GTS be enough? If i need to, i would be willing to buy a 8800GTX also.

If i do buy a 8800GTX will the 610W be enough?

Thanks for the help!

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Well first off i wouldnt expect the zalman to be all that much quieter than stock. I have the same one, and I thought it was louder. The motherboard should be fine, although if you're not OCing then you could possibly go cheaper.

I don't know that much about the 8-series cards, but you might wanna go to like a 700/750 watt psu. it would give you expansion room.

greghouse

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I don't know what to tell you about the case. I never had Zalman's case. The CPU is good, the mobo seems to be a good one, also I think you did a good choice on the ram. Well in my opinion it's good.

alpham22

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
For you ps, as far as the 8800gts, or gtx, most reccommend no less than a 650W ps. I would go with a 700 or higher myself just to be on the safe side, and some cases a card can over use power and boost the wattage up, rare cases but better to be safe than sorry. For prizes you can get a 700w ps for about 20 or dollars more than what you have listed.

NOTE1: On another note, the zalman is a good choice, you can go into your bios and change the fan speed and make it super quiet if you so like to do that. As big as it is it will take the heat easy enough, I have mine set at a low speed and when it hits 63*C it goes into high speed, have yet to hit that high on my proccesser. As well I have the X6800 and GTX in my case.

NOTE2: What kind of case are you getting, mid, full, name brand? Also on your memory what are you gonna use 4gigs of memory for? Are you doing video editing, in my opinion, 2gigs is plenty of memory for anything out there game wise. I wouldnt go 4gigs, and if you feel you need to you can upgrade as well.

NOTE3: For your cooling, Id make sure you are going to have plenty of cooling and room in your tower. That video card is going to put a little bit of heat out + its a huge card. A small case might not fit, and if it does you could have heat problems. A case with a side fan would be a huge reccommendation.

akhilles

Splendid
NOTE1: On another note, the zalman is a good choice, you can go into your bios and change the fan speed and make it super quiet if you so like to do that. As big as it is it will take the heat easy enough, I have mine set at a low speed and when it hits 63*C it goes into high speed, have yet to hit that high on my proccesser. As well I have the X6800 and GTX in my case.
You beat me to it. Yes, you can change the percentage of max cpu fan speed to reduce noise. Say 80-90%. Also, Zalman comes with a fan mate 2 that can control fan speed manually.

As for case, I suggest a full tower case since it's a gaming rig with such a powerful video card. 2 120mm case fans at least. Maybe Antec P180 since you're into silent computing.

Everything else looks good. Yep 2gigs are plenty. A handful of games will make use of 2 gigs. Most games are 512mb-1gig.

But it's your money.

pinkcaddy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
If you are not going to overclock, then 3 things:

1) Drop the Zalman. Save yourself $60 and use the fan included with the proc. Unless you are OCing, there's no need to replace the stock CPU fan.

2) Consider some cheaper memory. The memory you specified is good for OCing. Perhaps just the 6400 (no subsequent C4 or PRO after the model number) or any other cheaper RAM that's compatible with your mobo. I would suggest Corsairs "value" RAM to get additional savings, but OCing or not, everyone says to steer clear of it.

3) Mobo is good, though you could find some cheaper mobos. However, for the money and quality, this is a great mobo.

If you think that there's a chance you may OC in the future, then stick with your original setup, except invest in a 700+W power supply. Make sure that the +12V rails have at least a combined 45A (540W).

Crapola

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
If you're not OCing and obviously, you're not going to SLI, the 610W PSU is plenty...

The mobo is a good board whether you OC or not, anything "better" would just have more USB connectors, SLI, higher FSB, whatever (just more bells and whistles that you probably won't need)...

The e6600 runs on a 266MHz clock, which means, for DDR/DDR2 it'll run at 266*2 = 533MHz, so any memory above that speed will be a waste, if you don't OC. Save yourself a $100 and go with 533MHz valueram, it's just as good, if you don't OC.

8O

alpham22

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
DONT MISTAKEN yourself, you go with that 450w ps you are gonna have issures or are on the edge of them, do not go below a 650w ps. Not only is it my opinion but from every rating ive read and system Ive built I would not reccommend that.