leben

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I started my search for a memory card that was compatible with my MoBo (I want to buy one) with GEILs website. (DDR, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, single channel (I don't need 2 know anything more about what's compatible, do I?)) (u can pretty much presume all of my Knowledge about memory is included in the FAQ on this forum.)
According to GEILs website, their '512 DDR Ulrta-Platinum PC4400 550MHz' "is the Fastest DDR memory module in the market!!" this halted my search making me think I had got what I wanted.
(http://geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=37) (-which leads me to belive that PC4400 is the fastest frequency on the market).
However they would say that, as they made it and want to sell it. So are they telling porkies or is it the real deal.

If so, what differs it from the Ultra series, and the Ultra-X series and the rest of the cards that seem to have the same specifications.

Also since singles/double channel is a feature of the MoBo, am I correct in saying that the 1GB (2X512MB)"GeIL Ultra Platinum PC4400 550MHz Dual Channel DDR Kit" simply contains two 512MB cards that will go on my single channel motherboard?

Oh and if u wanted to know, I plan to game on WinXP with this box. (AMD Athlon XP 3000+2100 MHz, ASUSTeK A7N8X-E REV 2.xx MoBo, RADEON 9800 Graphics Card, and 1xCorsair PC133 256MB memory).

Thanks in advance for anyone's time and help :)

Leben

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I suggest an athlon 64 3700, and corsair xms twin2x1024-3200c2pt

Althought i dont have an athlon 3700+ (I have a 3500+ which i highly recomend bc i clocked mine at 2.62) I do have that memory. That memory is great stuff i am currently running it at ddr 474 ( a FSB of 237) at 2.5 3 3 7 timings.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Actually, if you want the fastest ram ever, you should get Centon RAM.

Centon's ultra fast RAM

Sadly it only comes in 512MB sticks but they're retartedly fast. A few of my friends have their ram and they have them running at DDR550+ at 2-2-2-0 timings. The one thing about them is that they love their voltage, probably their best one runs on 3.3-3.5V nicely, so it's worth it if your motherboard can handle those kinds of voltages.

Here's the one that runs at 3.3-3.5 Volts.

Oddly, most people don't know about Centon, they aren't a really big company, but their BH-5 DDR RAM is bested by nothing else.

They've been clocked at over DDR-650 before. Don't think you'll need to go that fast though.

leben

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I always wanted to go 64 bit processor - but dose it mean that I have to switch to Windows XP 64? (Same with Fedora Core 5.)

Centron looks cool, those super screened ones are better CAS than the GEIL, maybe I'll buy them! Along with the processor.
I don't plan on overclocking though, sounds high-risk if I fry something and i wont have the money to replace it. Also electricity bills are rising. Cooling them looks fun though, maybe I'll take it up at one stage, (in Uni i don't think I'll have to pay the electricity bills.)

thanks guys.