Internet Connection Sharing Problem

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a small home network with 2 machines on W2K SP4. One of them is
connected to the ISDN modem and has Internet Connection Sharing
enabled. The problem: The Internet browsers (IE6, Opera8.02) on the
other computer cannot connect to the internet, but surprisingly the
not-browser internet activities like update of virus definitions go
perfectly.... And even more surprisingly, my WXP notebook perfectly
connects through the modem computer to the internet (I write this query
on the notebook while connected to the internet through the network).

What is the solution? How can I get the browsers on the second W2K
machine connected to the internet through the home network?

Wim
Durban

dl

Internet Connections settings?
Firewall settings, specific to the browsers?
IE offline?

"Wim" <eisingspam@iafrica.com> wrote in message
> I have a small home network with 2 machines on W2K SP4. One of them is
> connected to the ISDN modem and has Internet Connection Sharing
> enabled. The problem: The Internet browsers (IE6, Opera8.02) on the
> other computer cannot connect to the internet, but surprisingly the
> not-browser internet activities like update of virus definitions go
> perfectly.... And even more surprisingly, my WXP notebook perfectly
> connects through the modem computer to the internet (I write this query
> on the notebook while connected to the internet through the network).
>
> What is the solution? How can I get the browsers on the second W2K
> machine connected to the internet through the home network?
>
> Wim
> Durban

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No firewall.
IE online
Standard Inernet connections.
Does this help to get the picture and assist me?
Wim

dl

No Firewall at all - you serious!!!!!

In IE, non connecting, what is shown in Tools/Internet Options/ Connections
Tab

> No firewall.
> IE online
> Standard Inernet connections.
> Does this help to get the picture and assist me?
> Wim

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Never Dial..." + under LAN: "Auto detect settings selected, others not
selected

dl

If ISDN connection you have to dial - leastways when I had isdn you did

> "Never Dial..." + under LAN: "Auto detect settings selected, others not
> selected

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, I've got an ISDN Line. But remember that my non-browser Internet
activities go fine. Only a problem with the BROWSER (IE6, Opera
8)conncetion to the Internet!

dl

If your IE connection is shown as LAN it wont connect
ISDN is a dial up connection

> Yes, I've got an ISDN Line. But remember that my non-browser Internet
> activities go fine. Only a problem with the BROWSER (IE6, Opera
> 8)conncetion to the Internet!

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

But my 2nd PC is connected through a LAN to my dial-up ISDN PC, thus I
need the LAN option at the 2nd PC, I presume? The dial-up connection
option would let the PC look for its own modem, isn't it?
Wim

dl

If you have a dial up on one PC then all the connection settings on that PC
are dial up.
If you add a 2nd PC, connected via LAN that PC uses the 1st PC's connections
to connect via the LAN.
If the first PC is shutdown the 2nd PC cannot connect, the 2nd PC is
dependent on the 1st.

In order to have independent connections on both PC's they should be
connected using a router.
eg External Modem -> Router -> PC's

> But my 2nd PC is connected through a LAN to my dial-up ISDN PC, thus I
> need the LAN option at the 2nd PC, I presume? The dial-up connection
> option would let the PC look for its own modem, isn't it?
> Wim

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> If you have a dial up on one PC then all the connection
> settings on that PC
> are dial up.
> If you add a 2nd PC, connected via LAN that PC uses the 1st
> PC's connections
> to connect via the LAN.
> If the first PC is shutdown the 2nd PC cannot connect, the 2nd
> PC is
> dependent on the 1st.
>
> In order to have independent connections on both PC's they
> should be
> connected using a router.
> eg External Modem -> Router -> PC's
>
> "Wim" <eisingspam@iafrica.com> wrote in message
> > But my 2nd PC is connected through a LAN to my dial-up ISDN
> PC, thus I
> > need the LAN option at the 2nd PC, I presume? The dial-up
> connection
> > option would let the PC look for its own modem, isn't it?
> > Wim

Have you considerd that it could be a DNS problem?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Internet-Connection-Sharing-Problem-ftopict404638.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1355519

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I definitely thought it could be a DNS problem, but don't know enough
about it to solve the problem. Could you guide me in it?