Windows Logon Password

January 28, 2005 7:19:39 PM

My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help settle his estate. He bought a new
computer before Christmas but I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check
to see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved before formating the hard drive and
offering the system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?

More about : windows logon password

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:19:40 PM

Try this link from Kelly's Korner:
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

"Rick" <nospam.sandyez@deletespam.golden.net> wrote in message
> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help
> settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but I don't
> know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
> see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved
> before formating the hard drive and offering the system for sale. How can
> i get around the logon password?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:28:46 AM

Try this:
http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/er...

It allows you to download an "Emergency" version.

"Rick" <nospam.sandyez@deletespam.golden.net> wrote in message
> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help
> settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but I don't
> know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
> see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved
> before formating the hard drive and offering the system for sale. How can
> i get around the logon password?
January 29, 2005 5:45:59 AM

Rick wrote:
> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to
> help settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but
> I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up
> and check to see if there are important documents and photos that
> should be saved before formating the hard drive and offering the
> system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ contains a tool to reset the administrator
password. It works and it is free.
January 29, 2005 12:47:48 PM

Thanks Andre I have the Ultimate Boot CD however, what tool do I use to reset the password?

Rick
"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message news:36088lF4sq396U1@individual.net...
> Rick wrote:
>> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to
>> help settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but
>> I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up
>> and check to see if there are important documents and photos that
>> should be saved before formating the hard drive and offering the
>> system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ contains a tool to reset the administrator password. It works and it is free.

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:24:56 PM

Rick wrote:
> Thanks Andre I have the Ultimate Boot CD however, what tool do I use
> to reset the password?

On my copy of the CD (version 2.21) I press F2 for "Filesystem Utilities",
followed by F6 for "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor". My CD is quite
old, so the menu order might have changed, but you should be able to find it
on newer versions as well.
January 30, 2005 1:20:36 PM

Thanks Andre I have found the program and experimented with it on one of my systems. I won't know for several
days if it will work on my wife's Uncle's system because we have to travel 3500 miles to get to his place.
Rick

!