JPEG files

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 4, 2005 8:56:03 PM

One of my users cannot open jpeg files. The user gets 2 error msgs. the
first is:
"No file format information can be found in the Registry" and it is
followed by:
"Unknown file format." Her computer is running Windows 2000 Professional.

When I log on as the administrator I can open them with no problems. What
has worked for me before on other machines have been running updates on them
and/or going to control panel-->Tools-->folder options-->"file types" tab and
changing the settings for jpeg files from MS Photo Editor to Imaging. I've
tried these on this machine and it is not working. Please help.

More about : jpeg files

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:27:54 AM

Is the user configued as a standard user/power user or an administrator?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:10:10 PM

Standard user

"jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk" wrote:

> Is the user configued as a standard user/power user or an administrator?

August 5, 2005 12:36:29 PM

Have you tried changing the user to an administrator and then changing
the folder options, then changing back to a standard user?

efg20 wrote:
> Standard user
>
> "jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk" wrote:
>
> > Is the user configued as a standard user/power user or an administrator?

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:15:23 AM

Why imaging that is not the default? The default is IE using DDE. You could try a repair office that should put the default open back to Photo Editor which is better than what you have now.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"efg20" <efg20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0DC43B0-3526-44E8-AE1E-5DEE9FF1031C@microsoft.com...
> One of my users cannot open jpeg files. The user gets 2 error msgs. the
> first is:
> "No file format information can be found in the Registry" and it is
> followed by:
> "Unknown file format." Her computer is running Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> When I log on as the administrator I can open them with no problems. What
> has worked for me before on other machines have been running updates on them
> and/or going to control panel-->Tools-->folder options-->"file types" tab and
> changing the settings for jpeg files from MS Photo Editor to Imaging. I've
> tried these on this machine and it is not working. Please help.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:48:03 PM

I would much rather have MS Photo Editor...I will give your idea a try.

"George Hester" wrote:

> Why imaging that is not the default? The default is IE using DDE. You could try a repair office that should put the default open back to Photo Editor which is better than what you have now.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "efg20" <efg20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0DC43B0-3526-44E8-AE1E-5DEE9FF1031C@microsoft.com...
> > One of my users cannot open jpeg files. The user gets 2 error msgs. the
> > first is:
> > "No file format information can be found in the Registry" and it is
> > followed by:
> > "Unknown file format." Her computer is running Windows 2000 Professional.
> >
> > When I log on as the administrator I can open them with no problems. What
> > has worked for me before on other machines have been running updates on them
> > and/or going to control panel-->Tools-->folder options-->"file types" tab and
> > changing the settings for jpeg files from MS Photo Editor to Imaging. I've
> > tried these on this machine and it is not working. Please help.

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:21:02 PM

I tried repairing and reinstalling office 2000, but it still gives me the
same error message. However, when I log on as an admin. or make the user an
admin. the jpeg files open up w/ no problems...this is done on the same
machine. What else can I do? Is there something in the registry I need to
adjust?

"efg20" wrote:

> I would much rather have MS Photo Editor...I will give your idea a try.
>
> "George Hester" wrote:
>
> > Why imaging that is not the default? The default is IE using DDE. You could try a repair office that should put the default open back to Photo Editor which is better than what you have now.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________
> > "efg20" <efg20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0DC43B0-3526-44E8-AE1E-5DEE9FF1031C@microsoft.com...
> > > One of my users cannot open jpeg files. The user gets 2 error msgs. the
> > > first is:
> > > "No file format information can be found in the Registry" and it is
> > > followed by:
> > > "Unknown file format." Her computer is running Windows 2000 Professional.
> > >
> > > When I log on as the administrator I can open them with no problems. What
> > > has worked for me before on other machines have been running updates on them
> > > and/or going to control panel-->Tools-->folder options-->"file types" tab and
> > > changing the settings for jpeg files from MS Photo Editor to Imaging. I've
> > > tried these on this machine and it is not working. Please help.

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:14:49 AM

First thing I would do is make a new user account with only Domain User
priviledges in the Domain and then try the jpgs again. The account
shouldn't even be a local account. Just a domain account. Try that first
and see if you get the same behavior.

--
George Hester
news:D DB69313-1833-419B-ABEE-3728229E9E6C@microsoft.com...