Shared internet with XP fails.

Per advice in previous post, I exchanged switch/router deemed to be faulty,
for new. Wired it up, fired it up - results exactly same as before, i.e.
only ONE pc can be on-line, and (if it wasn't the same one re-starting) need
to switch off the cable modem power, then re-connect, to get to the
internet.
I've been assured by both vendor and this ng that this switch/router should
give simultaneous and shared access to the internet, and best acheived via a
network..
I attempted to set up a limited network (to share just internet access, no
files/printer) via the wizard.
Did this on both pc's, same network name (can't make a floppy since 2nd pc
is laptop without floppy drive) HOWEVER wizard wanted both pc's on (which
they were) and connected to internet (which they couldn't be - see above!!)
however, both were connected to the router/switch.

Problems have now escalated. I get "Limited or no connectivity" error, and
attempting repair via the repair screen results in failure - only option is
to disconnect/reconnect cable modem, reboot the pc. Even then I get "detect
proxy settings" which fails (I have no proxy settings!) and eventually
regain connectivity via the "repair ID" screen. This is farcical.

Both PC's running XPHome, both connect via LAN cards, both work fine on the
modem as stand-alones - it's just connecting via switch/router that causes
problems. I do NOT require full network capability, just shared internet
connection. Settings are "automatic".

What am I doing wrong? HELP!!! I'm a total novice in networks, don't really
understand IP masks, subnets and such - have tried reading up, but it goes
over my head. Most articles assume a pre-existing level of knowledge that I
just don't have. Please advise, in simple terms!
Thanks in advance, Len.

..
..

peter

take a look at this web site which goes into detail on how to set this
up.....maybe there is some setting that you missed.
http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
peter
"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Per advice in previous post, I exchanged switch/router deemed to be faulty,
> for new. Wired it up, fired it up - results exactly same as before, i.e. only
> ONE pc can be on-line, and (if it wasn't the same one re-starting) need to
> switch off the cable modem power, then re-connect, to get to the internet.
> I've been assured by both vendor and this ng that this switch/router should
> give simultaneous and shared access to the internet, and best acheived via a
> network..
> I attempted to set up a limited network (to share just internet access, no
> files/printer) via the wizard.
> Did this on both pc's, same network name (can't make a floppy since 2nd pc is
> laptop without floppy drive) HOWEVER wizard wanted both pc's on (which they
> were) and connected to internet (which they couldn't be - see above!!)
> however, both were connected to the router/switch.
>
> Problems have now escalated. I get "Limited or no connectivity" error, and
> attempting repair via the repair screen results in failure - only option is to
> disconnect/reconnect cable modem, reboot the pc. Even then I get "detect proxy
> settings" which fails (I have no proxy settings!) and eventually regain
> connectivity via the "repair ID" screen. This is farcical.
>
> Both PC's running XPHome, both connect via LAN cards, both work fine on the
> modem as stand-alones - it's just connecting via switch/router that causes
> problems. I do NOT require full network capability, just shared internet
> connection. Settings are "automatic".
>
> What am I doing wrong? HELP!!! I'm a total novice in networks, don't really
> understand IP masks, subnets and such - have tried reading up, but it goes
> over my head. Most articles assume a pre-existing level of knowledge that I
> just don't have. Please advise, in simple terms!
> Thanks in advance, Len.
>

> .
> .

Peter, appreciate that you took the trouble to respond, but 25+ pages in on
this link, with the info window getting smaller and smaller and the adlinks
multiplying like rats on heat (despite pop-ups disabled) I gave up.
I've already bought the kit. I need practical help, please, with what I've
got, not the electronic equivalent of a WalMart. If there is an "idiot's
guide", step by step, that's what I need. I'm no idiot ( IQ actually >120,
even though I'm 60+), just an old fart seeking advice in an area where I
have no prior knowledge or expertise.

Thanks anyway, Len.

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
> take a look at this web site which goes into detail on how to set this
> up.....maybe there is some setting that you missed.
> http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
> peter
> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> Per advice in previous post, I exchanged switch/router deemed to be
>> faulty, for new. Wired it up, fired it up - results exactly same as
>> before, i.e. only ONE pc can be on-line, and (if it wasn't the same one
>> re-starting) need to switch off the cable modem power, then re-connect,
>> to get to the internet.
>> I've been assured by both vendor and this ng that this switch/router
>> should give simultaneous and shared access to the internet, and best
>> acheived via a network..
>> I attempted to set up a limited network (to share just internet access,
>> no files/printer) via the wizard.
>> Did this on both pc's, same network name (can't make a floppy since 2nd
>> pc is laptop without floppy drive) HOWEVER wizard wanted both pc's on
>> (which they were) and connected to internet (which they couldn't be - see
>> above!!) however, both were connected to the router/switch.
>>
>> Problems have now escalated. I get "Limited or no connectivity" error,
>> and attempting repair via the repair screen results in failure - only
>> option is to disconnect/reconnect cable modem, reboot the pc. Even then I
>> get "detect proxy settings" which fails (I have no proxy settings!) and
>> eventually regain connectivity via the "repair ID" screen. This is
>> farcical.
>>
>> Both PC's running XPHome, both connect via LAN cards, both work fine on
>> the modem as stand-alones - it's just connecting via switch/router that
>> causes problems. I do NOT require full network capability, just shared
>> internet connection. Settings are "automatic".
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? HELP!!! I'm a total novice in networks, don't
>> really understand IP masks, subnets and such - have tried reading up,
>> but it goes over my head. Most articles assume a pre-existing level of
>> knowledge that I just don't have. Please advise, in simple terms!
>> Thanks in advance, Len.
>>

>> .
>> .

peter

Your problem might be MAC addressing.Each Computer has a Machine Address which
can be read by the Cable modem and your provider might only allow you to have
one machine connected.This can be changed in the routers settings to clone the
MAC address so that the same MAC is used for both computers.
> Peter, appreciate that you took the trouble to respond, but 25+ pages in on
> this link, with the info window getting smaller and smaller and the adlinks
> multiplying like rats on heat (despite pop-ups disabled) I gave up.
> I've already bought the kit. I need practical help, please, with what I've
> got, not the electronic equivalent of a WalMart. If there is an "idiot's
> guide", step by step, that's what I need. I'm no idiot ( IQ actually >120,
> even though I'm 60+), just an old fart seeking advice in an area where I have
> no prior knowledge or expertise.
>
> Thanks anyway, Len.
>
> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> take a look at this web site which goes into detail on how to set this
>> up.....maybe there is some setting that you missed.
>> http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
>> peter
>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>>> Per advice in previous post, I exchanged switch/router deemed to be faulty,
>>> for new. Wired it up, fired it up - results exactly same as before, i.e.
>>> only ONE pc can be on-line, and (if it wasn't the same one re-starting) need
>>> to switch off the cable modem power, then re-connect, to get to the
>>> internet.
>>> I've been assured by both vendor and this ng that this switch/router should
>>> give simultaneous and shared access to the internet, and best acheived via a
>>> network..
>>> I attempted to set up a limited network (to share just internet access, no
>>> files/printer) via the wizard.
>>> Did this on both pc's, same network name (can't make a floppy since 2nd pc
>>> is laptop without floppy drive) HOWEVER wizard wanted both pc's on (which
>>> they were) and connected to internet (which they couldn't be - see above!!)
>>> however, both were connected to the router/switch.
>>>
>>> Problems have now escalated. I get "Limited or no connectivity" error, and
>>> attempting repair via the repair screen results in failure - only option is
>>> to disconnect/reconnect cable modem, reboot the pc. Even then I get "detect
>>> proxy settings" which fails (I have no proxy settings!) and eventually
>>> regain connectivity via the "repair ID" screen. This is farcical.
>>>
>>> Both PC's running XPHome, both connect via LAN cards, both work fine on the
>>> modem as stand-alones - it's just connecting via switch/router that causes
>>> problems. I do NOT require full network capability, just shared internet
>>> connection. Settings are "automatic".
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong? HELP!!! I'm a total novice in networks, don't really
>>> understand IP masks, subnets and such - have tried reading up, but it goes
>>> over my head. Most articles assume a pre-existing level of knowledge that I
>>> just don't have. Please advise, in simple terms!
>>> Thanks in advance, Len.
>>>

>>> .
>>> .

This sounds promising, but how/where to see (or change) change this setting?
The router is not listed in Device manager (it only sees LAN card).
Documentation for the router consistes of pictorial and written text (about
100 words) instructions about plugging in cables and power, nothing else..
Have tried both OE6 and Explorer internet settings - nothing, and their Help
files contain no entry under either Mac or Mac address.
Tried EVEREST Home Edition (oft praised here as pc analysis tool) - under
Network, there 5 entries (IP/Subnet mask, Gateway, DHCP, DNS and DNS) but no
MAC (incidentally this tool only sees my LAN card, not the router nor the
cable modem).
FOUND SOMETHING! - Tried Belarc - under communications it gives my Network
card MAC address and Network IP address. OK, having found data, is this
what I need (and how to change it? NB same limitation as Everest - sees the
LAN card only, not cable modem nor router.

What do I do now, please?

Thanks for keeping in with this query - appreciated. Len

> Your problem might be MAC addressing.Each Computer has a Machine Address
> which can be read by the Cable modem and your provider might only allow
> you to have one machine connected.This can be changed in the routers
> settings to clone the MAC address so that the same MAC is used for both
> computers.
> peter
> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> Peter, appreciate that you took the trouble to respond, but 25+ pages in
>> on this link, with the info window getting smaller and smaller and the
>> adlinks multiplying like rats on heat (despite pop-ups disabled) I gave
>> up.
>> I've already bought the kit. I need practical help, please, with what
>> I've got, not the electronic equivalent of a WalMart. If there is an
>> "idiot's guide", step by step, that's what I need. I'm no idiot ( IQ
>> actually >120, even though I'm 60+), just an old fart seeking advice in
>> an area where I have no prior knowledge or expertise.
>>
>> Thanks anyway, Len.
>>
>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>> take a look at this web site which goes into detail on how to set this
>>> up.....maybe there is some setting that you missed.
>>> http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
>>> peter
>>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

The router does not show up in the Device Manager because it is not a part
of your computer. It is separate from your computer. You communicate can
with the router but the computer does not control it as it does disk drives,
local printers, etc.

> This sounds promising, but how/where to see (or change) change this
> setting? The router is not listed in Device manager (it only sees LAN
> card). Documentation for the router consistes of pictorial and written
> text (about 100 words) instructions about plugging in cables and power,
> nothing else..
> Have tried both OE6 and Explorer internet settings - nothing, and their
> Help files contain no entry under either Mac or Mac address.
> Tried EVEREST Home Edition (oft praised here as pc analysis tool) - under
> Network, there 5 entries (IP/Subnet mask, Gateway, DHCP, DNS and DNS) but
> no MAC (incidentally this tool only sees my LAN card, not the router nor
> the cable modem).
> FOUND SOMETHING! - Tried Belarc - under communications it gives my Network
> card MAC address and Network IP address. OK, having found data, is this
> what I need (and how to change it? NB same limitation as Everest - sees
> the LAN card only, not cable modem nor router.
>
> What do I do now, please?
>
> Thanks for keeping in with this query - appreciated. Len
>
> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> Your problem might be MAC addressing.Each Computer has a Machine Address
>> which can be read by the Cable modem and your provider might only allow
>> you to have one machine connected.This can be changed in the routers
>> settings to clone the MAC address so that the same MAC is used for both
>> computers.
>> peter
>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>>> Peter, appreciate that you took the trouble to respond, but 25+ pages in
>>> on this link, with the info window getting smaller and smaller and the
>>> adlinks multiplying like rats on heat (despite pop-ups disabled) I gave
>>> up.
>>> I've already bought the kit. I need practical help, please, with what
>>> I've got, not the electronic equivalent of a WalMart. If there is an
>>> "idiot's guide", step by step, that's what I need. I'm no idiot ( IQ
>>> actually >120, even though I'm 60+), just an old fart seeking advice in
>>> an area where I have no prior knowledge or expertise.
>>>
>>> Thanks anyway, Len.
>>>
>>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message

peter

Like Colin said...both programs see the hardware and software ON your computer.
Typically you would enter the routers setup page by opening IE and typing its IP
address in the adress bar without the WWW.
as an example for my router I type http://192.168.0.1
this brings up a username/password page where the most common default seems to
be admin/password..........change it after you are inside
this brings up a setup page and various tabbed pages for different set up
options.
Using the websites that I have suggested you should be able to follow along and
adjust your settings to make the unit function with 2 computers.
I dont know the make of your router but their websites usually have more info
than their documentation.I am on my 2nd router the first was a wired Linksys and
now I am using a wireless Netgear.Both came with good but not great
documentation.

Oh......and your not that old got me beat by 4yrs
peter
"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> This sounds promising, but how/where to see (or change) change this setting?
> The router is not listed in Device manager (it only sees LAN card).
> Documentation for the router consistes of pictorial and written text (about
> 100 words) instructions about plugging in cables and power, nothing else..
> Have tried both OE6 and Explorer internet settings - nothing, and their Help
> files contain no entry under either Mac or Mac address.
> Tried EVEREST Home Edition (oft praised here as pc analysis tool) - under
> Network, there 5 entries (IP/Subnet mask, Gateway, DHCP, DNS and DNS) but no
> MAC (incidentally this tool only sees my LAN card, not the router nor the
> cable modem).
> FOUND SOMETHING! - Tried Belarc - under communications it gives my Network
> card MAC address and Network IP address. OK, having found data, is this what
> I need (and how to change it? NB same limitation as Everest - sees the LAN
> card only, not cable modem nor router.
>
> What do I do now, please?
>
> Thanks for keeping in with this query - appreciated. Len
>
> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> Your problem might be MAC addressing.Each Computer has a Machine Address
>> which can be read by the Cable modem and your provider might only allow you
>> to have one machine connected.This can be changed in the routers settings to
>> clone the MAC address so that the same MAC is used for both computers.
>> peter
>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>>> Peter, appreciate that you took the trouble to respond, but 25+ pages in on
>>> this link, with the info window getting smaller and smaller and the adlinks
>>> multiplying like rats on heat (despite pop-ups disabled) I gave up.
>>> I've already bought the kit. I need practical help, please, with what I've
>>> got, not the electronic equivalent of a WalMart. If there is an "idiot's
>>> guide", step by step, that's what I need. I'm no idiot ( IQ actually >120,
>>> even though I'm 60+), just an old fart seeking advice in an area where I
>>> have no prior knowledge or expertise.
>>>
>>> Thanks anyway, Len.
>>>
>>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message

Peter and Colin - thanks for your continued and valued help and advice.
Still something I don't understand. - when you say type in the ROUTER IP
address, which one is that? I have the network card (=LAN card?) MAC
address, and the Network IP address, but no router IP address, nor (as Colin
pointed out) no way of getting it from pc as it's an external device.. Is it
one of these two, if not, how do I get the router's IP address?

And, I guess I need to duplicate action on both pc and laptop?
Sincerely, Len (n.b. I've several different accesses to newsgroup servers -
just harmonised ID setting for all, hence now yabbadoo - Yogi Bear
throwback!)

> Like Colin said...both programs see the hardware and software ON your
> computer.
> Typically you would enter the routers setup page by opening IE and typing
> its IP address in the adress bar without the WWW.
> as an example for my router I type http://192.168.0.1
> this brings up a username/password page where the most common default
> seems to be admin/password..........change it after you are inside
> this brings up a setup page and various tabbed pages for different set up
> options.
> Using the websites that I have suggested you should be able to follow
> along and adjust your settings to make the unit function with 2 computers.
> I dont know the make of your router but their websites usually have more
> info than their documentation.I am on my 2nd router the first was a wired
> Linksys and now I am using a wireless Netgear.Both came with good but not
> great documentation.
>
> Oh......and your not that old got me beat by 4yrs
> peter
> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> This sounds promising, but how/where to see (or change) change this
>> setting? The router is not listed in Device manager (it only sees LAN
>> card). Documentation for the router consistes of pictorial and written
>> text (about 100 words) instructions about plugging in cables and power,
>> nothing else..
>> Have tried both OE6 and Explorer internet settings - nothing, and their
>> Help files contain no entry under either Mac or Mac address.
>> Tried EVEREST Home Edition (oft praised here as pc analysis tool) - under
>> Network, there 5 entries (IP/Subnet mask, Gateway, DHCP, DNS and DNS) but
>> no MAC (incidentally this tool only sees my LAN card, not the router nor
>> the cable modem).
>> FOUND SOMETHING! - Tried Belarc - under communications it gives my
>> Network card MAC address and Network IP address. OK, having found data,
>> is this what I need (and how to change it? NB same limitation as
>> Everest - sees the LAN card only, not cable modem nor router.
>>
>> What do I do now, please?
>>
>> Thanks for keeping in with this query - appreciated. Len
>>
>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>> Your problem might be MAC addressing.Each Computer has a Machine Address
>>> which can be read by the Cable modem and your provider might only allow
>>> you to have one machine connected.This can be changed in the routers
>>> settings to clone the MAC address so that the same MAC is used for both
>>> computers.
>>> peter
>>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

peter

Give us the name and model of your router.
my network IP is 192.168.0.0....with the routers IP being 192.168.0.1....comp #1
is 192.168.0.2 etc etc
from this you should be able to figure out your routers IP
peter
"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Peter and Colin - thanks for your continued and valued help and advice. Still
> something I don't understand. - when you say type in the ROUTER IP address,
> which one is that? I have the network card (=LAN card?) MAC address, and the
> Network IP address, but no router IP address, nor (as Colin pointed out) no
> way of getting it from pc as it's an external device.. Is it one of these two,
> if not, how do I get the router's IP address?
>
> And, I guess I need to duplicate action on both pc and laptop?
> Sincerely, Len (n.b. I've several different accesses to newsgroup servers -
> just harmonised ID setting for all, hence now yabbadoo - Yogi Bear throwback!)
>
> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> Like Colin said...both programs see the hardware and software ON your
>> computer.
>> Typically you would enter the routers setup page by opening IE and typing its
>> IP address in the adress bar without the WWW.
>> as an example for my router I type http://192.168.0.1
>> this brings up a username/password page where the most common default seems
>> to be admin/password..........change it after you are inside
>> this brings up a setup page and various tabbed pages for different set up
>> options.
>> Using the websites that I have suggested you should be able to follow along
>> and adjust your settings to make the unit function with 2 computers.
>> I dont know the make of your router but their websites usually have more info
>> than their documentation.I am on my 2nd router the first was a wired Linksys
>> and now I am using a wireless Netgear.Both came with good but not great
>> documentation.
>>
>> Oh......and your not that old got me beat by 4yrs
>> peter
>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>>> This sounds promising, but how/where to see (or change) change this setting?
>>> The router is not listed in Device manager (it only sees LAN card).
>>> Documentation for the router consistes of pictorial and written text (about
>>> 100 words) instructions about plugging in cables and power, nothing else..
>>> Have tried both OE6 and Explorer internet settings - nothing, and their Help
>>> files contain no entry under either Mac or Mac address.
>>> Tried EVEREST Home Edition (oft praised here as pc analysis tool) - under
>>> Network, there 5 entries (IP/Subnet mask, Gateway, DHCP, DNS and DNS) but no
>>> MAC (incidentally this tool only sees my LAN card, not the router nor the
>>> cable modem).
>>> FOUND SOMETHING! - Tried Belarc - under communications it gives my Network
>>> card MAC address and Network IP address. OK, having found data, is this
>>> what I need (and how to change it? NB same limitation as Everest - sees the
>>> LAN card only, not cable modem nor router.
>>>
>>> What do I do now, please?
>>>
>>> Thanks for keeping in with this query - appreciated. Len
>>>
>>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message

Check your router's manual. Most use 198.162.1.1, which is what my Linksys
router uses. You put this in your browser's address bar (where you normally
see "http://......"). You should see the router's main configuration screen
in your browser and that's where you edit settings, open and close ports,
and so on.
> Give us the name and model of your router.
> my network IP is 192.168.0.0....with the routers IP being
> 192.168.0.1....comp #1 is 192.168.0.2 etc etc
> from this you should be able to figure out your routers IP
> peter
> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> Peter and Colin - thanks for your continued and valued help and advice.
>> Still something I don't understand. - when you say type in the ROUTER IP
>> address, which one is that? I have the network card (=LAN card?) MAC
>> address, and the Network IP address, but no router IP address, nor (as
>> Colin pointed out) no way of getting it from pc as it's an external
>> device.. Is it one of these two, if not, how do I get the router's IP
>> address?
>>
>> And, I guess I need to duplicate action on both pc and laptop?
>> Sincerely, Len (n.b. I've several different accesses to newsgroup
>> servers - just harmonised ID setting for all, hence now yabbadoo - Yogi
>> Bear throwback!)
>>
>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>> Like Colin said...both programs see the hardware and software ON your
>>> computer.
>>> Typically you would enter the routers setup page by opening IE and
>>> typing its IP address in the adress bar without the WWW.
>>> as an example for my router I type http://192.168.0.1
>>> this brings up a username/password page where the most common default
>>> seems to be admin/password..........change it after you are inside
>>> this brings up a setup page and various tabbed pages for different set
>>> up options.
>>> Using the websites that I have suggested you should be able to follow
>>> along and adjust your settings to make the unit function with 2
>>> computers.
>>> I dont know the make of your router but their websites usually have more
>>> info than their documentation.I am on my 2nd router the first was a
>>> wired Linksys and now I am using a wireless Netgear.Both came with good
>>> but not great documentation.
>>>
>>> Oh......and your not that old got me beat by 4yrs
>>> peter
>>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

peter

Colin
quick question.......different IP for a wired router compared to a wireless??? I
use a Netgear wireless and I can not remember what the wired IP was but I
believe it was what you posted???Or is it just because different brand??
peter
> Check your router's manual. Most use 198.162.1.1, which is what my Linksys
> router uses. You put this in your browser's address bar (where you normally
> see "http://......"). You should see the router's main configuration screen
> in your browser and that's where you edit settings, open and close ports, and
> so on.
> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> Give us the name and model of your router.
>> my network IP is 192.168.0.0....with the routers IP being 192.168.0.1....comp
>> #1 is 192.168.0.2 etc etc
>> from this you should be able to figure out your routers IP
>> peter
>> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>>> Peter and Colin - thanks for your continued and valued help and advice.
>>> Still something I don't understand. - when you say type in the ROUTER IP
>>> address, which one is that? I have the network card (=LAN card?) MAC
>>> address, and the Network IP address, but no router IP address, nor (as Colin
>>> pointed out) no way of getting it from pc as it's an external device.. Is it
>>> one of these two, if not, how do I get the router's IP address?
>>>
>>> And, I guess I need to duplicate action on both pc and laptop?
>>> Sincerely, Len (n.b. I've several different accesses to newsgroup servers -
>>> just harmonised ID setting for all, hence now yabbadoo - Yogi Bear
>>> throwback!)
>>>
>>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message

There is only one IP. I should have said that my wireless router is
connected to one of my computers by an ethernet cable. Of course almost all
routers are both wired/wireless. Mine has four ethernet out and one in
(from the cable modem). I have computers on both ethernet and wireless
connections.

> Colin
> quick question.......different IP for a wired router compared to a
> wireless??? I use a Netgear wireless and I can not remember what the wired
> IP was but I believe it was what you posted???Or is it just because
> different brand??
> peter
>> Check your router's manual. Most use 198.162.1.1, which is what my
>> Linksys router uses. You put this in your browser's address bar (where
>> you normally see "http://......"). You should see the router's main
>> configuration screen in your browser and that's where you edit settings,
>> open and close ports, and so on.
>> --
>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>> Give us the name and model of your router.
>>> my network IP is 192.168.0.0....with the routers IP being
>>> 192.168.0.1....comp #1 is 192.168.0.2 etc etc
>>> from this you should be able to figure out your routers IP
>>> peter
>>> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

peter

Colin
Maybe I did not phrase my question right......I have the same type of set up as
you but a different IP address....I use a Netgear Wireless Router.
your IP 198.162.1.1
mine 192.168.0.1
any particular reason?? or just because different company??
always willing to learn something
peter

> There is only one IP. I should have said that my wireless router is connected
> to one of my computers by an ethernet cable. Of course almost all routers are
> both wired/wireless. Mine has four ethernet out and one in (from the cable
> modem). I have computers on both ethernet and wireless connections.

> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> Colin
>> quick question.......different IP for a wired router compared to a
>> wireless??? I use a Netgear wireless and I can not remember what the wired IP
>> was but I believe it was what you posted???Or is it just because different
>> brand??
>> peter
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Check your router's manual. Most use 198.162.1.1, which is what my Linksys
>>> router uses. You put this in your browser's address bar (where you normally
>>> see "http://......"). You should see the router's main configuration screen
>>> in your browser and that's where you edit settings, open and close ports,
>>> and so on.
>>> --
>>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message

Different company. But there is no rule that says it has to be a particular
IP. It is up to the manufacturer and in fact a lot use the same IP. It is
not the one exposed to the internet anyway. Don't worry about it. Just use
yours to communicate with the router.

> Colin
> Maybe I did not phrase my question right......I have the same type of set
> up as you but a different IP address....I use a Netgear Wireless Router.
> your IP 198.162.1.1
> mine 192.168.0.1
> any particular reason?? or just because different company??
> always willing to learn something
> peter

>> There is only one IP. I should have said that my wireless router is
>> connected to one of my computers by an ethernet cable. Of course almost
>> all routers are both wired/wireless. Mine has four ethernet out and one
>> in (from the cable modem). I have computers on both ethernet and
>> wireless connections.
>>
>> --
>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>> Colin
>>> quick question.......different IP for a wired router compared to a
>>> wireless??? I use a Netgear wireless and I can not remember what the
>>> wired IP was but I believe it was what you posted???Or is it just
>>> because different brand??
>>> peter
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

peter

Thank you
peter
> Different company. But there is no rule that says it has to be a particular
> IP. It is up to the manufacturer and in fact a lot use the same IP. It is
> not the one exposed to the internet anyway. Don't worry about it. Just use
> yours to communicate with the router.

> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>> Colin
>> Maybe I did not phrase my question right......I have the same type of set up
>> as you but a different IP address....I use a Netgear Wireless Router.
>> your IP 198.162.1.1
>> mine 192.168.0.1
>> any particular reason?? or just because different company??
>> always willing to learn something
>> peter
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> There is only one IP. I should have said that my wireless router is
>>> connected to one of my computers by an ethernet cable. Of course almost all
>>> routers are both wired/wireless. Mine has four ethernet out and one in
>>> (from the cable modem). I have computers on both ethernet and wireless
>>> connections.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message

yw