No desktop on Windows 2000 Server

Hi everyone

Hope someone can help with this, I have seen several similar problems
in the groups but not one gives a definative fix.

After rebooting the server I can log on but get no desktop icons and
cant access alot of programs. Other PCs on the network seem to connect
to it ok and i can get into safe mode where the desktop displays fine.

I have tried the fix in Microsoft Knowledge base article 256194 and
this makes no difference.

I also tried chkdsk which came up with nothing and booting to a last
known configuration.

Any ideas other than a re-install anyone?

Thanks guys

Hi Neil

Yes I tried logging in using other accounts but windows just hangs
saying 'loading you settings' and I left it for 30 mins. I had to do a
manual reboot both times I tried it.

Neil Harding wrote:
> Have you tried logging in as someone else?
>
> jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > Hope someone can help with this, I have seen several similar problems
> > in the groups but not one gives a definative fix.
> >
> > After rebooting the server I can log on but get no desktop icons and
> > cant access alot of programs. Other PCs on the network seem to connect
> > to it ok and i can get into safe mode where the desktop displays fine.
> >
> > I have tried the fix in Microsoft Knowledge base article 256194 and
> > this makes no difference.
> >
> > I also tried chkdsk which came up with nothing and booting to a last
> > known configuration.
> >
> > Any ideas other than a re-install anyone?
> >
> > Thanks guys

If you get no startbar or desktop icons explorer is having problems.
If you can ctr-alt-del, then run explorer.exe, your taskbar n icons should
come up.
Have you done spyware scans...A lot of spyware does this.
--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

"jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk" wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Hope someone can help with this, I have seen several similar problems
> in the groups but not one gives a definative fix.
>
> After rebooting the server I can log on but get no desktop icons and
> cant access alot of programs. Other PCs on the network seem to connect
> to it ok and i can get into safe mode where the desktop displays fine.
>
> I have tried the fix in Microsoft Knowledge base article 256194 and
> this makes no difference.
>
> I also tried chkdsk which came up with nothing and booting to a last
> known configuration.
>
> Any ideas other than a re-install anyone?
>
> Thanks guys

I do get a start button but as soon as I try and open any programs it
drops out.

I agree that its most likely something caused by explorer.exe but
spyware scans in safe mode show up nothing at all using Pest Patrol 5.

I am using APC UPS software so will try disabling these services and
rebooting.

Thanks guys.

Have you tried logging in as someone else?

jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Hope someone can help with this, I have seen several similar problems
> in the groups but not one gives a definative fix.
>
> After rebooting the server I can log on but get no desktop icons and
> cant access alot of programs. Other PCs on the network seem to connect
> to it ok and i can get into safe mode where the desktop displays fine.
>
> I have tried the fix in Microsoft Knowledge base article 256194 and
> this makes no difference.
>
> I also tried chkdsk which came up with nothing and booting to a last
> known configuration.
>
> Any ideas other than a re-install anyone?
>
> Thanks guys

hmmm. Last time i had a "loading your settings" problem it was a DNS
problem where the machine couldn't see the server. But since this is
the server hmmmm again. When you say you get no desktop does that
include the start button?

jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Neil
>
> Yes I tried logging in using other accounts but windows just hangs
> saying 'loading you settings' and I left it for 30 mins. I had to do a
> manual reboot both times I tried it.
>
> Neil Harding wrote:
>
>>Have you tried logging in as someone else?
>>
>>jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone
>>>
>>>Hope someone can help with this, I have seen several similar problems
>>>in the groups but not one gives a definative fix.
>>>
>>>After rebooting the server I can log on but get no desktop icons and
>>>cant access alot of programs. Other PCs on the network seem to connect
>>>to it ok and i can get into safe mode where the desktop displays fine.
>>>
>>>I have tried the fix in Microsoft Knowledge base article 256194 and
>>>this makes no difference.
>>>
>>>I also tried chkdsk which came up with nothing and booting to a last
>>>known configuration.
>>>
>>>Any ideas other than a re-install anyone?
>>>
>>>Thanks guys

Hi

Are you using APC UPS software? V6?

Boot into safe mode and disable the APC services

See APC Answer ID 7202

Dave

"Neil Harding" wrote:

> hmmm. Last time i had a "loading your settings" problem it was a DNS
> problem where the machine couldn't see the server. But since this is
> the server hmmmm again. When you say you get no desktop does that
> include the start button?
>
> jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi Neil
> >
> > Yes I tried logging in using other accounts but windows just hangs
> > saying 'loading you settings' and I left it for 30 mins. I had to do a
> > manual reboot both times I tried it.
> >
> > Neil Harding wrote:
> >
> >>Have you tried logging in as someone else?

Problem solved.

Disabled APC services in safe mode and uninstalled the latest lot of
windows updates. Rebooted and it all came back ok. So it was one of
these which caused the problem.

James Toney wrote:

> jamestoney@performanceinpeople.co.uk wrote:
>
>>I do get a start button but as soon as I try and open any programs it
>>drops out.
>>
>>I agree that its most likely something caused by explorer.exe but
>>spyware scans in safe mode show up nothing at all using Pest Patrol 5.
>>
>>I am using APC UPS software so will try disabling these services and
>>rebooting.
>>
>>Thanks guys.
>

> Problem solved.
>
> Disabled APC services in safe mode and uninstalled the latest lot of
> windows updates. Rebooted and it all came back ok. So it was one of
> these which caused the problem.
Hi,

Most likely it was the PowerChute UPS software (APC) that caused your
issue.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

So your options are to upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Thanks Torgeir, I have updated to version 7 which seems better.