Nvidia Clock Delta

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hello all,

I have been looking into trying to get a bit more out of my 7900GS's and have been reading around to see what is the best way to go about it. Having come to the conclusion that the best, most stable way to do this properly will be with NiBiTor, I have the following question for you folks.

I have come across this clock delta that is built into the core of these GPU's, can anyone tell me what it is actually for, obviously Nvidia went to alot of trouble to include it so there must be a way of optimising it.

I have seen notes that it is set different for nearly every brand of card in ranges from 0 to 50Mhz (mine default is 20Mhz), there must be an optimal setting or ratio to the base clock speed, you would think.

Anyway, thanks for reading, Dukedave.

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I am not sure what you are referring to . But there is a coolbit registry download that you can get and it unlocks the Nvidia overclocking feature they have built in . On it they have something that automatically optimises for the best OC. Probably best to play heavy games then have it detect the best OC speed to ensure its at stable settings .

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
The "Clock Delta" you're talking about is a difference between clock frequencies of the Pixel Shader/Vertex Shader units. I don't remember off hand, but a Clock delta of 20 MHz would mean that a 7900 GT running at 500 MHz core clock would have its pixel shaders running at 500 MHz, while the vertex shaders are running at 520 MHz.

There's a bunch of stuff related to it but as I said I don't remember it off hand, sorry. That's the basic gist of what's going on.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah, I found that out but my question is why have Nvidia done this, is there some benifit to having one clock speed higher/lower than the other?

battleghost

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
sagekilla is corrrect, and i think the reason nvida is doing this is to lower the overall heat output of the graphic card without sacraficing performance. they must realized that the pixel shader isn't used as often as the vertex shader.

This setting is highly dependent on the games that one play, some are more fill rate intensive (large delta = good), while some are vertex intensive (small delta = good)