Sign in with
Your question

1 long, 2 short beeps during post.. need help please!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2007 10:45:57 PM

I have an Asus A8N-Premium, AMD 64 3800+, PNY GeForce 7950, Thermaltake 750w PSU. I just put it all together today and when I try to boot nothing appears on my monitor. I hear 1 long beep then 2 short beeps, it waits a few seconds, then repeats.

I looked up the beep codes and it says that its a Display problem. I've tried to reseat the video card and that doesn't help. I've tried to switch it to the secondary PCIEx16 slot, that doesnt help either.

My problem is that I dont have another video card to test on that motherboard, nor do I have another motherboard to test that video card on. How do I know which is the problem? Do I replace the motherboard, or video card? Is there anything I can do to fix it without sending parts back?

More about : long short beeps post

January 7, 2007 11:10:08 AM

Bump. I've tried a few more things, trying to get it to work, still no luck. I took the video card out completely and turned on the system w/o a video card at all. It still gave me 1 long and 2 short beeps. From my understanding, it should have done 1 long and 3 short beeps if there was no video card at all. My guess is that the motherboard is bad, but since I dont have much experience in this sort of thing, I'd appreciate a 2nd opinion.
January 7, 2007 11:32:48 AM

I always ask, did you plug all power connectors? 24pin and 4 pin for motherboard, also 6 pin for video card?
Related resources
January 7, 2007 11:33:28 AM

How many RAM modules do you have? Try to take them out (if you have more than one) and leave one in. Then try it again. If it will not work than try different RAM slots with that RAM module. I had similar problem and the RAM was not working with my CPU.
January 7, 2007 11:42:15 AM

Quote:
I always ask, did you plug all power connectors? 24pin and 4 pin for motherboard, also 6 pin for video card?

Yes, everything was plugged in correctly. I triple checked that.
January 7, 2007 12:00:26 PM

Quote:
How many RAM modules do you have? Try to take them out (if you have more than one) and leave one in. Then try it again. If it will not work than try different RAM slots with that RAM module. I had similar problem and the RAM was not working with my CPU.

I'll check. Thanks
January 7, 2007 12:24:52 PM

Moved the RAM and now I have a successful POST. Though, now it won't load Windows completely. It gets to the screen where it has the Windows logo and the blue (I have xp pro) bar that shows its loading, then it resets. What next?
January 7, 2007 12:49:29 PM

I take it that this is not a clean install of windows?
January 7, 2007 1:16:34 PM

Quote:
Moved the RAM and now I have a successful POST. Though, now it won't load Windows completely. It gets to the screen where it has the Windows logo and the blue (I have xp pro) bar that shows its loading, then it resets. What next?

If you have changed your mobo or CPU since you installed windows than you will have to reinstall windows no matter what. It will not work properly otherwise. I recommend a format hard drive than a clean install of windows.
January 7, 2007 1:24:40 PM

Will do, thanks!
January 7, 2007 2:16:26 PM

More issues:
1) Everytime I try to install or repair windows the computer resets before it even begins doing so.
2) Can't format my C drive, says "Volume is in use"
3) Can't seem to figure out how to uninstall windows.

?
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2007 2:57:59 PM

You will need to boot from a Windows CD, not from C:
You may need to reset your BIOS boot order sequence so that the optical drive is ahead of the hard drive.
Good source of info:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/
January 8, 2007 11:09:58 AM

Done that, I wiped the HDD and installed windows. It takes a while for this to boot up though, maybe once I have everything installed it will speed up. I'm having some issues getting my SATA HDD working. Its not my primary drive (that one is just PATA), but I'm having issues trying to get it installed and running. I reset to install the drivers I've got from the WD site but the machine won't boot when its plugged in.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2007 11:18:16 AM

You may need to install the sata drive at the first windows boot up screen. Most folks use a floppy to copy the sata driver, and install it using F6 when prompted by windows. It all depends on the motherboard. Mine recognized the maxtor sata drive right away with win 2k, so I didn't need to install it separately.
January 8, 2007 11:47:44 AM

Quote:
You may need to install the sata drive at the first windows boot up screen. Most folks use a floppy to copy the sata driver, and install it using F6 when prompted by windows. It all depends on the motherboard. Mine recognized the maxtor sata drive right away with win 2k, so I didn't need to install it separately.

Thats through the windows XP install disc?
January 8, 2007 12:55:20 PM

Get MEM86 and/or the microsoft memory test and check your ram. Sounds like you may have a problem with it.
!