Windows 2000 Update Services

I am a VAR and have assembled many win2000 workstations in the past. I have
two new machines on the bench, {Intel 915PCYL mainboard, intel P4-530J
Processor (3.06Ghz with HT), DDR2 512Mb Memory, 80Gb Seagate SATA Hard drive
and an ATI X300se Video PCIX) my problem is I cannot get any updates from the
windows Update site. The I.E6.0 freezes (Hangs) and will not go anywhere. I
had manually installed IE6 as initailly IE5 came with the OEM copy. It has
SP4 installed from the Windows 2000 OEM CD. I have also installed Java. If
you have any idea, because I am stumped. Both machines are doing the exact
same thing. Could it be something to do with Intel's Hyperthreading
Technology and Windows 2000 ?¿?¿? Just so you are aware, I can do pretty
much anything else on the web, download, play java, macromedia ... etc. I
would appreciate any thoughts !!!

Windows 2000 doesn't support HT. You should disable HT in the BIOS.

/neo

Chris M. wrote:
> I am a VAR and have assembled many win2000 workstations in the past. I have
> two new machines on the bench, {Intel 915PCYL mainboard, intel P4-530J
> Processor (3.06Ghz with HT), DDR2 512Mb Memory, 80Gb Seagate SATA Hard drive
> and an ATI X300se Video PCIX) my problem is I cannot get any updates from the
> windows Update site. The I.E6.0 freezes (Hangs) and will not go anywhere. I
> had manually installed IE6 as initailly IE5 came with the OEM copy. It has
> SP4 installed from the Windows 2000 OEM CD. I have also installed Java. If
> you have any idea, because I am stumped. Both machines are doing the exact
> same thing. Could it be something to do with Intel's Hyperthreading
> Technology and Windows 2000 ?¿?¿? Just so you are aware, I can do pretty
> much anything else on the web, download, play java, macromedia ... etc. I
> would appreciate any thoughts !!!

Don't have an explanation and also equally uncertain of who
provided this tip, but use this URL:

https://updates.microsoft.com/

It will make Version 6 of the Windows Update engine work and
not stall.

Re: Hyperthreading - The official Microsoft line is that
Windows 2000 does ont support hyperthreading but one peek at
the performance graph in Task Manager indicates otherwise.

its not just a microsoft thing. intel has
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-017343.htm.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Chris M. wrote:
>> I am a VAR and have assembled many win2000 workstations in the past. I
>> have two new machines on the bench, {Intel 915PCYL mainboard, intel
>> P4-530J Processor (3.06Ghz with HT), DDR2 512Mb Memory, 80Gb Seagate SATA
>> Hard drive and an ATI X300se Video PCIX) my problem is I cannot get any
>> updates from the windows Update site. The I.E6.0 freezes (Hangs) and will
>> not go anywhere. I had manually installed IE6 as initailly IE5 came with
>> the OEM copy. It has SP4 installed from the Windows 2000 OEM CD. I have
>> also installed Java. If you have any idea, because I am stumped. Both
>> machines are doing the exact same thing. Could it be something to do with
>> Intel's Hyperthreading Technology and Windows 2000 ?¿?¿? Just so you are
>> aware, I can do pretty much anything else on the web, download, play
>> java, macromedia ... etc. I would appreciate any thoughts !!!
>

> Don't have an explanation and also equally uncertain of who
> provided this tip, but use this URL:
>
> https://updates.microsoft.com/
>
> It will make Version 6 of the Windows Update engine work and
> not stall.
>
> Re: Hyperthreading - The official Microsoft line is that
> Windows 2000 does ont support hyperthreading but one peek at
> the performance graph in Task Manager indicates otherwise.

Thank you, for your responses. I will turn off HT however I think there are
some areas of Win2000 that do support HT and do well by it. Chris