Windows 2000 won't search files in folders

Greetings readers,

I have the following issue,

Win2k SP4 stopped "search for files or folders" stopped searching
inside folders, even though the "search subfolders" option is enabled
(in fact I can't really disabled it since it automatically re-enables
itself the next time I open a search)

>From what I can see, search for files now looks only in the Root c:\
dir and inside "Documents and Settings" (i.e. my documents etc)
it ignores all other disk folders, and I can also see this from the
names of folders searched that briefly flashes on the bottom line when
I start a search. It only searches in folders if I explicitly direct it
(with "browse" option") to search in a specific folder.

I tried to enable and disable the indexing service (it has always been
disabled on my pc) but didn't fix it.

thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 search files folders

    heruti wrote:

    > Greetings readers,
    >
    > I have the following issue,
    >
    > Win2k SP4 stopped "search for files or folders" stopped searching
    > inside folders, even though the "search subfolders" option is enabled
    > (in fact I can't really disabled it since it automatically re-enables
    > itself the next time I open a search)
    >
    >>From what I can see, search for files now looks only in the Root c:\
    > dir and inside "Documents and Settings" (i.e. my documents etc)
    > it ignores all other disk folders, and I can also see this from the
    > names of folders searched that briefly flashes on the bottom line when
    > I start a search. It only searches in folders if I explicitly direct it
    > (with "browse" option") to search in a specific folder.
    >

    > I tried to enable and disable the indexing service (it has always been
    > disabled on my pc) but didn't fix it.

    Hi,

    Not exactly a direct solution to your problem, but a workaround is to
    install the free Agent Ransack and use it to search.

    Download it from here:
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

    Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard), as text,
    comma separated text or tab separated text. E.g. Excel reads comma separated
    text (csv) very well.

    When searching for text inside files, Agent Ransack is also able to do a
    preview of the lines the text was found in (just do a single click on the
    found file).
    Also, you can use regular expression on both the file name part and the find
    text in files part.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
    > Not exactly a direct solution to your problem, but a workaround is to
    > install the free Agent Ransack and use it to search.

    as luck would have it, I already have Ransack.. the thing that worried
    me about the problem was perhaps the hard drive FATs got corrupt or
    something which could spell doom soon... the search seems to work fine
    on drives other than C: (I have an external USB HD).

    thanks

Windows 2000 My Documents Microsoft Windows