system hangs - stops on downloads

I recently have encountered a problem and cant figure it out.
When trying to download Norton or Spy Sweeper virus file updates
the software starts and then just seems to hang in a loop
maxing out the cpu.
For Norton it connects and hangs either at getting latest config info or at start of download.
For spy sweeper it stops at 90% of download.
I have done all sorts of virus checks, both local and via web.
I used ad-aware, Spybot, cwshredder, spy sweeper
I used Norton virus check from the web
In tried www.trend.com from web checking for virus etc
Nothing found that fixes the problem

I have WIN2000 with all updates installed.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
REGISTERD Linux User: 300583

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi

Are you using a firewall at all, be it software on hardware. Also can you
download files from other websites successfully?