Graphics Card Upgrade

What's up Guys.

I have an older system which carries a P4 2.8 400MHz cpu. The memory is rambus ( Sucks, I know ) PC800 and it also came with a PNY Geforce 4 Ti4600 AGP Graphics Card.
Question: Will upgrading the video card to a 6600GT / 6800GT be an over kill and make the cpu and memory a bottle neck, or give some added performance. Also The power supply is able to support the newer cards, and changing the motherboard etc. is not an option.

Thank.
12 answers Last reply
More about graphics card upgrade
  1. i think you should save up some $$$ and build a new system, your's is kind of outdated and spending money on vga upgrade is just useless. and yes it will most probably be bottlenecked
  2. I already have a newer system. I just wanted to make this one run a little better.

Thanks.
  3. I put a 6800GS AGP into my system with a Prescott 3.0E and unlocked the pipes which made it nearly (if not exactly) like the 6800GT. There was a huge difference in performance over my old FX5200. Of course that's an FX5200 so of course there would be a huge difference :lol:. I'm not sure if anything is bottlenecking it but I would like to know how to find out if that's possible.
  4. I would be looking at a 7600GT for a system like this.
  5. Wouldn't that be an over kill?
  6. yes it would
  7. Not really, the 7600GT gives a bit more future out of your current system, similar performance to the 6800GT.
    The 7600GS is a lesser option also.
  8. Those GPUs will not be bottlenecked by the rest of your system.
  9. A 7600 GT is a great companion to a P4 2.8 Ghz guys.

A 2.8 Ghz P4 isn't that bad at all...
  10. Remember the FBS is 400MHz
  11. Quote:
    Those GPUs will not be bottlenecked by the rest of your system.

No, they wont, this guy is totally right
  12. Quote:
    Remember the FBS is 400MHz

Doesn't make a difference.

2.8 Ghz P4 is still a decent platform.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Memory Graphics