Backup Using USB External Drive

I am testing a WD external drive w/ USB 2.0 connection to backup our
PowerEdge 600SC server running windows server 2000. It is imperative that we
can recover quickly in the event of system problem. Windows 2000 server
recognizes the External Drive. I am able to copy data from the system drive
to the external drive via the USB connection. I have also tested using
NTBackup and Backup Exec. They appear to work OK ...but very very slow. Only
about 55MB per minute. Anyone have any thoughts on why so slow? I'd like to
hear your thoughts and/or experiences. Also does Dell offer any solutions
in this area?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 16:05:04 -0700, Mike G <MikeG@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am testing a WD external drive w/ USB 2.0 connection to backup our
>PowerEdge 600SC server running windows server 2000. It is imperative that we
>can recover quickly in the event of system problem. Windows 2000 server
>recognizes the External Drive. I am able to copy data from the system drive
>to the external drive via the USB connection. I have also tested using
>NTBackup and Backup Exec. They appear to work OK ...but very very slow. Only
>about 55MB per minute. Anyone have any thoughts on why so slow? I'd like to
>hear your thoughts and/or experiences. Also does Dell offer any solutions
>in this area?

For your information, I have just backed up 13 GB in 17 minutes. I did have to
run Ad-Aware, NOAdware, spybot SD and finally a defrag to get that sort of
speed. I then use the hard disk for the first copy. That goes on the second
internal Hard disk. From there I would let it copy to the external USB2 hard
disk.

Borge

wrote:

>I am testing a WD external drive w/ USB 2.0 connection to backup our
>PowerEdge 600SC server running windows server 2000. It is imperative that we
>can recover quickly in the event of system problem. Windows 2000 server
>recognizes the External Drive. I am able to copy data from the system drive
>to the external drive via the USB connection. I have also tested using
>NTBackup and Backup Exec. They appear to work OK ...but very very slow. Only
>about 55MB per minute. Anyone have any thoughts on why so slow? I'd like to
>hear your thoughts and/or experiences. Also does Dell offer any solutions
>in this area?

Giving this a second look - are you using USB. If so that is the reason for the
lack of speed. You must have a USB2 connection.

Borge