the following error occurred attempting to rename the comp..

jip

I have two domain controllers both on Windows 2000 SP4.

I am unable to add or rename any pc's on the domain under the FQDN
(cccs.co.uk) if the pc is being authenticated server one, but I can by
using the pre windows 2000 domain name (cccsnt). If pc is
authenticated by server two I can do both with no issues.

The error is:
The following error occurred attempting to rename the computer ".."
The credetials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials

The error comes up after entering the username & password to change the
name.

Domain is Windows 200 Native & was upgrade from NT4 ages ago.

Any ideas ?

You can't have resources mapped from/to the same resource with different
credentials. Try from a command prompt
net use * /delete
then join

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JIP" wrote:

| I have two domain controllers both on Windows 2000 SP4.
|
| I am unable to add or rename any pc's on the domain under the FQDN
| (cccs.co.uk) if the pc is being authenticated server one, but I can by
| using the pre windows 2000 domain name (cccsnt). If pc is
| authenticated by server two I can do both with no issues.
|
| The error is:
| The following error occurred attempting to rename the computer ".."
| The credetials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials
|
| The error comes up after entering the username & password to change the
| name.
|
| Domain is Windows 200 Native & was upgrade from NT4 ages ago.
|
| Any ideas ?

jip

It does work it you do that, it is just annoying why it works on one ad
server & not the other...