the following error occurred attempting to rename the comp..

I have two domain controllers both on Windows 2000 SP4.

I am unable to add or rename any pc's on the domain under the FQDN
(cccs.co.uk) if the pc is being authenticated server one, but I can by
using the pre windows 2000 domain name (cccsnt). If pc is
authenticated by server two I can do both with no issues.

The error is:
The following error occurred attempting to rename the computer ".."
The credetials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials

The error comes up after entering the username & password to change the
name.

Domain is Windows 200 Native & was upgrade from NT4 ages ago.

Any ideas ?
2 answers Last reply
More about error occurred attempting rename comp

    You can't have resources mapped from/to the same resource with different
    credentials. Try from a command prompt
    net use * /delete
    then join

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "JIP" wrote:

    | I have two domain controllers both on Windows 2000 SP4.
    |
    | I am unable to add or rename any pc's on the domain under the FQDN
    | (cccs.co.uk) if the pc is being authenticated server one, but I can by
    | using the pre windows 2000 domain name (cccsnt). If pc is
    | authenticated by server two I can do both with no issues.
    |
    | The error is:
    | The following error occurred attempting to rename the computer ".."
    | The credetials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials
    |
    | The error comes up after entering the username & password to change the
    | name.
    |
    | Domain is Windows 200 Native & was upgrade from NT4 ages ago.
    |
    | Any ideas ?

    It does work it you do that, it is just annoying why it works on one ad
    server & not the other...

Domain Windows 2000 Windows