Linux on Laptop?

I have an old company Dell PII laptop that has Window 2000 on it. I dont
have the password and want to use it as backup server to run some external
HDs.

What is the cheapest way to get a fresh OS install so I can have full
control of the PC?
Is Linux cheap to buy as OS and will it look and feel close enough to
windows that I could use it efficiently quickly?

thanks!

You can get Linux for free. There are places to legally download different
versions - called "distros" (distributions) - just do a google search.
Mandrake Linux is fairly easy to install and get going with .

Linux is getting a lot more friendly than it once was but you will still
have a sharp learning curve. You should find a Linux forum to lurk in and
ask questions.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an old company Dell PII laptop that has Window 2000 on it. I dont
>have the password and want to use it as backup server to run some external
>HDs.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a fresh OS install so I can have full
> control of the PC?
> Is Linux cheap to buy as OS and will it look and feel close enough to
> windows that I could use it efficiently quickly?
>
> thanks!

If the mobo is password protected, you will not be able to install anything.
If it is not and the only password is for Windows 2000, then you need to
consider the problem of video and motherboard drivers. Putting Linux on a
laptop is always a challenge. For the selection of Linux distros available,
you should navigate to DistroWatch, http://distrowatch.com/, and start going
to the websites and see which systems are likely to support your laptop
model.

This may all be unnecessary, however, because I believe that there are
utilities that can reset the Windows 2000 password. If you would rather do
that, post back a new post asking for someone to give you a link to such a
program.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an old company Dell PII laptop that has Window 2000 on it. I dont
>have the password and want to use it as backup server to run some external
>HDs.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a fresh OS install so I can have full
> control of the PC?
> Is Linux cheap to buy as OS and will it look and feel close enough to
> windows that I could use it efficiently quickly?
>
> thanks!

your probably right. I dont want to spend hours and hours trying to figure
it out with Linux.

I guess my problem is cant even open windows cuz of the password. Ill look
for the application and maybe it give some instructions.

thank you

> If the mobo is password protected, you will not be able to install
> anything. If it is not and the only password is for Windows 2000, then you
> need to consider the problem of video and motherboard drivers. Putting
> Linux on a laptop is always a challenge. For the selection of Linux
> distros available, you should navigate to DistroWatch,
> http://distrowatch.com/, and start going to the websites and see which
> systems are likely to support your laptop model.
>
> This may all be unnecessary, however, because I believe that there are
> utilities that can reset the Windows 2000 password. If you would rather
> do that, post back a new post asking for someone to give you a link to
> such a program.

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have an old company Dell PII laptop that has Window 2000 on it. I dont
>>have the password and want to use it as backup server to run some external
>>HDs.
>>
>> What is the cheapest way to get a fresh OS install so I can have full
>> control of the PC?
>> Is Linux cheap to buy as OS and will it look and feel close enough to
>> windows that I could use it efficiently quickly?
>>
>> thanks!

Why don't you use this link to recover the password?
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

There are others in the replies to the thread "Windows logon password" just
a few threads down.

jtsnow wrote:
> I have an old company Dell PII laptop that has Window 2000 on it. I
> dont have the password and want to use it as backup server to run
> some external HDs.

What kind of password is the problem? If it is the BIOS password you need to
figure out some way to reset this. If so, you have to reset the CMOS on your
computer. Ways to do this usually include setting a particular jumper (check
the manual for the computer, search online if you don't have a printed
manual) or removing the clock battery and leave it out for a while. If you
are not able to do this yourself you may have to bring the computer to a
repair shop.

As for Windows 2000 I suggested http://www.ultimatebootcd.com just a few
hours ago to someone who needed a tool to reset an XP password. The same
tool works for 2000 and NT, and probably 2003 as well.

> What is the cheapest way to get a fresh OS install so I can have full
> control of the PC?

All you need is to get the installation media (usually one or more CDs) for
the OS you wish. Most OS installers wants you to partition your hard drive
in one way or the other, and at this stage you also have the ability to
remove and/or reformat existing partitions.

Also note that if your intention is to format and install a fresh OS on the
computer your're not likely to need to reset the Windows password, unless
there are data on your existing system that you specifically would like to
extract before formatting.

> Is Linux cheap to buy as OS

A lot of Linux distributions can be freely downloaded from the internet for
free. All you need is bandwidth and a CD recorder. There are also a couple
of companies offering premium editions, offering services like phone/e-mail
support and online updates. You might want to take a look at Xandros
(http://www.xandros.com) or SuSe (http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/). I have
no experience with the former, but I hear it is rather good and user
friendly. I have tested SuSe, and it also looks very nice. AFAIK they both
offer both free versions and premium commercial versions with support.

Also, if you are just plain curious and not sure wether Linux is anything
for you, I strongly suggest taking a look at Knoppix
(http://www.knoppix.net/). This distribution does not require installation
at all. The entire OS runs from the CD. This CD is also a very handy tool to
have laying around, even if you use Windows on a day-to-day basis.

> and will it look and feel close enough to
> windows that I could use it efficiently quickly?

Depends on your usage. If you like to play games I would have to say no. But
for simple productivity tools and internet usage the answer is definitely
yes. With programs like OpenOffice (office suite), Opera (web browser),
Firefox (web browser), Thunderbird (e-mail and news client) and Evolution
(e-mail and personal manager) you are not likely to miss the Microsoft
counterparts. Also, you should make sure that all your hardware (such as
scanners, TV-tuners, TV-output etc) is actually supported. The easiest way
to check this is probably to pop in a Knoppix CD.