AM2+?

mpjesse

Splendid
it was heartbreaking watching romo collapse to his knees after he fcuked up the hold. but at the same time i was saying "get up man, you're a leader!"

seahawks, in all honesty, should have lost that game.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I was faced with a need to upgrade at a certain point, and the proverbial last drop that swayed me towards Intel's C2D was you know what - the heatsink!

I bought my Zalman 9500 LED slightly before socket AM2 came out, so it was/is not compatible. And when I started thinking about stuff I need to buy....mobo, ddr2, cpu, video card... and then - AM2 compatible heatsink again? Oh hell no. First of all some AM2 products have higher latencies than 9393 (that is - they are inferior even to the old generation), they are slower than their Intel counterparts, and now you want me to fork out another 50 bucks for a decent am2 compatible hsf? hell no.

watch it, when AM2+ comes out, there'll be another trick up their sleeve

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
So when the new amd and intel cpus come out, will everyone be buying the cpus that are out now cause they wil be really cheap and the new ones really expensive, or will everyone be buying the new cpus.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
it was heartbreaking watching romo collapse to his knees after he fcuked up the hold. but at the same time i was saying "get up man, you're a leader!"

Fly-y-y Eagles Fly
On The Road To Victory

Fight Eagles Fight
Score A TouchDown 1 2 - 1 2 3

Hitem Low
Hitem High
And Watch Our Eagles Fly

Fly-y-y Eagles Fly
On The Road To Victory

E - A - G -L -E - S - Eagles

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Should have - but didn't. :)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Would be nice if amd could make a socket a stick to it, socket a was so cool, went from sdram to ddr ram, from athlon 500mhz to xp3300, that was cool.
It sucks, but you cant blame them for trying to catch up to Intel. [/shrug]

It's popular to bash AMD on how frequently they've changed sockets since Socket A was EOLed. But to tell the truth, Intel is not that much different. Let's look back at the years since Socket A was introduced:

AMD
1. Socket A
2. Socket 754
3. Socket 940
4. Socket 939
5. Socket AM2
6. Socket 1207
7. Socket S1

Intel
1. Socket 370
2. Socket 423
3. Socket 603
4. Socket 478
5. Socket 479
6. Socket 604
7. LGA 775
8. LGA 771

Doesn't sound too different to me. Socket AM2 will be tweaked to be Socket AM2+ and AM2+ processors and AM2 boards will be compatible. So will 1207 and 1207+. AFAIK Intel will be EOLing LGA 771 and replacing it with an LGA socket with about 1400 pins.

mpjesse

Splendid
meh... but 603 & lga 771 was/is Xeon and 479 is for mobile.

In about the past 6 years, intel (on desktop) has gone from 423 to 478 to LGA775.

In about the past 6 years, amd (on desktop) has gone from Socket A to Socket 754, to Socket 940 to Socket 939, and finally now to Socket AM2.

AMD has intel beat by 2 sockets.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Not bashing at all. It POs me when people say AMD "sucks" because C2 is better. C2s performance superceded AM2s. That doesnt make AM2 "shit", just older.

I forget the thread, and who it was with, but weve had the 'socket dance' discussion. Socket A was around a loooong time and AMD did wonders with it. It looks like 775 will eclipse socket A's longevity though. As far as the 939, AM2, AM2+ 'socket dance',AMD has to accelerate its plans to try and catch up to C2D [/shrug] What else can they do? Whats sucks isnt the product (QFX aside) but AMDs situation. Limited production capacity and limited capitol. They just dont have the capacity to support continued production of superceded products/sockets or the capitol to expend on R&D to extend those products life span. Knowing that doesnt make the situation any better,it is what it is. Disregarding AMDs performance, past and present, well thats a different matter. I dont disregard their performance, I understand the socket dance, but I dont like the situation. And I understand that the socket dance was driven and participated in as much by Intel as by AMD

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006

I nearly creid myself to sleep after that... :cry:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
What I do not understand is why was there a need to change sockets in the first place? With AM3 supposedly the IMC is going to support ddr2 and ddr3. Why heck could they not have done something similar with the 939 cpu's IMC and made it to where they supported ddr1 or ddr2? I know part of the reason was so people would not try to put the wrong cpu with the wrong memory but still I find it annoying the quick jump from 939 to AM2. Most people do not build there own systems and those that do either 1. know what the hell they are doing to begin with and do some research to what they are looking to buy. 2. are newbies and ask for help first. No matter how hard you try you can not help it that there are idiots in this world that are either going to buy the wrong equipment or are going to install it wrong to begin with because they do not take the time to research and learn.

Money. It costs more to support multiple types of ram.

I included all sockets made by the two companies because Socket A was *the* AMD socket. It was used in everything from the Athlon desktop chips to Athlon XP-M mobile chips to Athlon MP server chips. Socket 754 was also used in both desktop and mobile applications- the new Socket S1 is the first mobile-exclusive socket for AMD (except for the VERY short-lived Socket 563, which I seem to have forgotten in my previous list) whereas Intel has been using Socket 479 for some time. One thing that I forgot to mention is that there are two socket 479s- the original Pentium M Socket 479 and then the new Core 2 Duo pin-incompatible Socket M, which has 479 pins as well.

So here are the separate lists of sockets.

AMD desktop sockets
1. Socket A
2. Socket 754
3. Socket 939
4. Socket AM2

AMD laptop sockets
1. Socket A
2. Socket 563 (very short-lived)
3. Socket 754
4. Socket S1

AMD server sockets
1. Socket A
2. Socket 940
3. LGA 1207

Intel desktop sockets
1. Socket 370
2. Socket 423
3. Socket 478
4. LGA 775

Intel laptop sockets
1. Socket 370
2. Socket 478
3. Socket 479
4. Socket M (479 ver. 2)

Intel server sockets
1. Socket 370
2. Socket 603
3. Socket 604
4. Socket M (for Xeon LV)
5. LGA 771

So we have 4 sockets for each on the desktop, 4 for each in laptops (although very few 563 chips shipped) and 3 AMD server sockets versus Intel's five. It looks like a wash to me, except if you consider servers. And if you consider *all* of their sockets, not just the ones since Socket A, AMD does even better. Both Intel and AMD had Sockets 3, 5, and 7, but Intel also had the Socket 8 for the Pentium Pro and not one slotted processor but two if you count the Slot 2 PII/PIII Xeon chips.

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
So when the new amd and intel cpus come out, will everyone be buying the cpus that are out now cause they wil be really cheap and the new ones really expensive, or will everyone be buying the new cpus.

So i guess what im trying to ask is what would be better for the mid-range cpu purcheser:
1. Buy a cpu now
2. Or wait and buy one of the new cpus

Mr_Speedy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
If you have a good AM2 mobo, you can get a 3000+ and overclock it.
I have a 3000+ @ 2.7GHz, (limited by RAM, can't set RAM to DDR2 400MHz)

Another good thing to consider is an AM2 Opteron. The 1210 is cheap, and often overclocks to FX-62 levels :D
That is my next CPU in my rig, after I get better RAM.

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Ok thanks. My current computer is prehistoric, so the new one is going to be all new. I guess i will start looking at the C2D's.