Can't download Security Updates

I've recently taken over a windows 2000 server and foudn it to be missing 33
Critical Security updates. When I try to download them using the Windows
Update, I get the following message:

Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download
and install updates on your computer.

Any ideas how to allow this and where this "policy" might be set?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Bailey wrote:

> I've recently taken over a windows 2000 server and foudn it to
> be missing 33 Critical Security updates. When I try to download
> them using the Windows Update, I get the following message:
>
> Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update
> to download and install updates on your computer.
>
> Any ideas how to allow this and where this "policy" might be set?

Hi,

See if you find a registry value NoWindowsUpdate or
DisableWindowsUpdateAccess that is set to 1.

Start/Run ==> regedit.exe

Under the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Policies\Explorer

delete the value "NoWindowsUpdate" if it exist.

Under the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Policies\Windows Update

delete the value "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" if it exist.

Under the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows Update

delete the value "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" if it exist.

If the above values was not found:

Do a registry search (in regedit.exe, be sure to have "My Computer"
selected when starting each search)) for registry values with name

NoWindowsUpdate

and
DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

and delete if found.

Note that if your computer is member of an Active Directory domain,
and this this is a policy set with Group Policy, the registry
values will re-appear at next GPO-refresh.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: