Opinions of Philips LCoS

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 13, 2004 3:26:29 PM

Anyone have any opinions on the Philips 55PL977S 55 Inch LCoS HD-Ready TV
(http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19726.htm). I know there are lots of advantages
to getting this type of TV, but I wanted to get some real world
recommendations, especially compared to the Samsung 50" DLP. I am still
debating wether to spend the extra money (and it is a lot) for this type of
TV. The alternative is the 57" sony 510 or 600 series... which are nice,
but a different category entirely. Is the extra money worth it?

More about : opinions philips lcos

April 13, 2004 11:19:19 PM

"Jason" <none@none.com> wrote in

> Anyone have any opinions on the Philips 55PL977S 55 Inch LCoS
> HD-Ready TV (http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19726.htm). I know there
> are lots of advantages to getting this type of TV, but I wanted to
> get some real world recommendations, especially compared to the
> Samsung 50" DLP. I am still debating wether to spend the extra
> money (and it is a lot) for this type of TV. The alternative is the
> 57" sony 510 or 600 series... which are nice, but a different
> category entirely. Is the extra money worth it?

LCoS pros: high fill rate (meaning the gaps between pixels are smaller so
you don't see the "screen door effect") and more natural, film-like
picture, as opposed to the digital, video-like look of DLP. Cons: poor
black levels and poor contrast. The current LCoS sets also have problems
in their implementation (i.e., problems not necessarily inherent in the
technology but in how the system is put together and manufactured).
Toshiba actually had to discontinue its LCoS line b/c of all the
ensuing problems.

check this forum for more info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&days...
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 1:01:31 AM

Jason wrote:
> Anyone have any opinions on the Philips 55PL977S 55 Inch LCoS
> HD-Ready TV (http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19726.htm). I know there are
> lots of advantages to getting this type of TV, but I wanted to get
> some real world recommendations, especially compared to the Samsung
> 50" DLP. I am still debating wether to spend the extra money (and it
> is a lot) for this type of TV. The alternative is the 57" sony 510
> or 600 series... which are nice, but a different category entirely.
> Is the extra money worth it?

How about the Sony LCDs instead. RPTV LCD is at the peak of its
technology and is a little cheaper than DLP (although the recent Samsung
price drops may have them pretty equal). I love the Sony 610 series,
think the XBR LCD is too expensive (unless you need a 70" picture). LCoS
is in its infancy and you'll pay for it. Plus, it doesn't perform as
well as it will in 3 years. Sony is switching the LCoS for their next
generation of TVs... maybe the technology will improve. I would save
your money.

--
David G.
!