How format USB drive?

I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at all
as external storage in the drive list.

How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?

thanks for any tip!
5 answers Last reply
More about format drive

    On the Start Menu right click on My Computer and choose Manage. On the tree
    on the left, expand Storage (if it isn't already) and click on Disk
    Management. You will see panels for each drive on your system. Right click
    on the color bar at the top of the usb drive and select format. If your
    file system is NTFS, accept the defaults and click OK.

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
    >server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
    >the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at all
    >as external storage in the drive list.
    >
    > How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?
    >
    > thanks for any tip!

    very nice. thank you!. I would have never figured it out without your
    help!

    Thanks again!

    > On the Start Menu right click on My Computer and choose Manage. On the
    > tree on the left, expand Storage (if it isn't already) and click on Disk
    > Management. You will see panels for each drive on your system. Right
    > click on the color bar at the top of the usb drive and select format. If
    > your file system is NTFS, accept the defaults and click OK.

    > "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
    >>server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
    >>the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at
    >>all as external storage in the drive list.
    >>
    >> How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?
    >>
    >> thanks for any tip!

    You're welcome.

    jtsnow wrote:
    > very nice. thank you!. I would have never figured it out without
    > your help!

    So you're too inept to use the help and support centre then?! Suggest you
    try entering "formatting" into it. Sorry, did I say inept? I meant lazy.

    on salads.

    Tick, you can drive at your IQ and never get a ticket. Even in a school
    zone.

    > jtsnow wrote:
    >> very nice. thank you!. I would have never figured it out without
    >> your help!
    >
    > So you're too inept to use the help and support centre then?! Suggest you
    > try entering "formatting" into it. Sorry, did I say inept? I meant lazy.
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

USB External Hard Drive Windows XP