How format USB drive?

January 29, 2005 12:47:58 AM

I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at all
as external storage in the drive list.

How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?

thanks for any tip!

More about : format usb drive

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:05:21 AM

On the Start Menu right click on My Computer and choose Manage. On the tree
on the left, expand Storage (if it isn't already) and click on Disk
Management. You will see panels for each drive on your system. Right click
on the color bar at the top of the usb drive and select format. If your
file system is NTFS, accept the defaults and click OK.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
>server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
>the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at all
>as external storage in the drive list.
>
> How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?
>
> thanks for any tip!

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:05:22 AM

very nice. thank you!. I would have never figured it out without your
help!

Thanks again!

news:o xW2gCdBFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> On the Start Menu right click on My Computer and choose Manage. On the
> tree on the left, expand Storage (if it isn't already) and click on Disk
> Management. You will see panels for each drive on your system. Right
> click on the color bar at the top of the usb drive and select format. If
> your file system is NTFS, accept the defaults and click OK.

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
>>server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
>>the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at
>>all as external storage in the drive list.
>>
>> How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?
>>
>> thanks for any tip!

January 29, 2005 3:28:15 AM

You're welcome.

> very nice. thank you!. I would have never figured it out without your
> help!
>
> Thanks again!

> news:o xW2gCdBFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> On the Start Menu right click on My Computer and choose Manage. On the
>> tree on the left, expand Storage (if it isn't already) and click on Disk
>> Management. You will see panels for each drive on your system. Right
>> click on the color bar at the top of the usb drive and select format. If
>> your file system is NTFS, accept the defaults and click OK.
>>
>> --
>> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a
>>>Linux server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it
>>>wont see the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt
>>>show up at all as external storage in the drive list.
>>>
>>> How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?
>>>
>>> thanks for any tip!

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:03:36 PM

jtsnow wrote:
> very nice. thank you!. I would have never figured it out without
> your help!

So you're too inept to use the help and support centre then?! Suggest you
try entering "formatting" into it. Sorry, did I say inept? I meant lazy.

on salads.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:03:37 PM

Tick, you can drive at your IQ and never get a ticket. Even in a school
zone.

!