New XP crashes - 000000d1

I get this several times a week on a new box with a clean install of XP
Home:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1
(0x83000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf791ba44). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080805-01.dmp.

This is less the helpfull. It doesn't tell me what file, etc. might have
caused the crash. How can I troubleshoot this to determine why it is
crashing?

This is almost always a buggy driver. It can be hard to figure out which one - if <something>.sys is listed on the blue screen, that
is usually it. Otherwise USB/Firewire drivers are the first suspects to check. Just try exercising different devices and see if you
can "induce" a failure with one of them. There is also something called "driver verifier" you can enable, but it is not for the
faint of heart.

Less commonly, this can indicate a hardware problem, but this is less than 1 in 10 so I wouldn't start there.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Ook" <MSNews@emberts.UpYoursSpammer.emberts.com> wrote in message news:%23b4qifInFHA.860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I get this several times a week on a new box with a clean install of XP Home:
>
> The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x83000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf791ba44). A dump
> was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080805-01.dmp.
>
> This is less the helpfull. It doesn't tell me what file, etc. might have caused the crash. How can I troubleshoot this to
> determine why it is crashing?

Oops, just realised this was the Win2000 list, sorry! But, your advice is
good. I personally suspect one of my webcams. I set Windows to not restart
on BSOD, so hopefully next time I can see the screen. I put it in another
port, so now we watch and see what happens. Thanks for the response :)

"Steve Duff [MVP]" <ergodic@ergodic-systems.com> wrote in message
> This is almost always a buggy driver. It can be hard to figure out which
> one - if <something>.sys is listed on the blue screen, that is usually it.
> Otherwise USB/Firewire drivers are the first suspects to check. Just try
> exercising different devices and see if you can "induce" a failure with
> one of them. There is also something called "driver verifier" you can
> enable, but it is not for the faint of heart.
>
> Less commonly, this can indicate a hardware problem, but this is less than
> 1 in 10 so I wouldn't start there.
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "Ook" <MSNews@emberts.UpYoursSpammer.emberts.com> wrote in message
>>I get this several times a week on a new box with a clean install of XP
>>Home:
>>
>> The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1
>> (0x83000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf791ba44). A dump was saved in:
>> C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080805-01.dmp.
>>
>> This is less the helpfull. It doesn't tell me what file, etc. might have
>> caused the crash. How can I troubleshoot this to determine why it is
>> crashing?

Tell me more about the driver verifier - how do I use this?