Assistance needed please ...

.... ran WindowsUpdate successfully today, and upon re-boot dissevered
I'm getting each of the following advisories, where none had previously
existed.

What to do? I'm out of my depth here.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

What advisories?

-Frank

Warren C. E. Austin wrote:

> ... ran WindowsUpdate successfully today, and upon re-boot dissevered
> I'm getting each of the following advisories, where none had previously
> existed.
>
> What to do? I'm out of my depth here.

Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Warren C. E. Austin wrote:
>
>> ... ran WindowsUpdate successfully today, and upon re-boot dissevered
>> I'm getting each of the following advisories, where none had
>> previously existed.
>>
>> What to do? I'm out of my depth here.
>>
> Hi,
>
> You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
> on the computer?
>
> If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it.
>

> PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
> here:
>
> PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
> due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202
>

> This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
> uninstall it:
>
> Start Regedit.exe
>
> Locate the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
> Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)
>
> Locate the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
> Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)
>
> Reboot the computer.

Thanks for the reply Torgeir

Unfortunately that does not appear to be the issue. I checked the
Registry, from both before and after Windows Update, and neither "Key"
is present.

Any other ideas?

Incidentally, how many "perflib_Perfdata_*.dat" files should normally be
present on a typical user's system? I appear to have about 60, give or
take one or two. Is this normal, and if values are missing in one of
these files causing the errors, how do I either edit them to insert the
missing value, or regenerate the correct file?

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada