Floppy format screen

I'm sure there's a ridiculously simple answer to this one.
Formatting a floppy in Win 98, the starting screen gave the option
"Display summary when finished". This showed bad sectors etc.
In XP, I can't find such an option. And, when formatting is finished,
there is no such summary. How do I enable it?
Dave Gillingham

There is no DOS in XP. The floppy formatter is not the DOS untility. You
can get the info you want by opening MY Computer, right clicking on the
floppy icon and selecting System Information. Even better, do START>RUN
type CMD [enter], and then type at the command prompt "chkdsk a:". This
will emulate the DOS chkdsk command and give more detail.

"Dave Gillingham" <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm sure there's a ridiculously simple answer to this one.
> Formatting a floppy in Win 98, the starting screen gave the option
> "Display summary when finished". This showed bad sectors etc.
> In XP, I can't find such an option. And, when formatting is finished,
> there is no such summary. How do I enable it?
> Dave Gillingham
> To email me remove the .private from my email address.

Thank you for that. Still can't see why they couldn't have built it
into the OS though. It was convenient.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:10:44 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>There is no DOS in XP. The floppy formatter is not the DOS untility. You
>can get the info you want by opening MY Computer, right clicking on the
>floppy icon and selecting System Information. Even better, do START>RUN
>type CMD [enter], and then type at the command prompt "chkdsk a:". This
>will emulate the DOS chkdsk command and give more detail.

Dave Gillingham

Because the OS has not got a drop of DOS in it.

> Thank you for that. Still can't see why they couldn't have built it
> into the OS though. It was convenient.
>
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:10:44 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
> <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>There is no DOS in XP. The floppy formatter is not the DOS untility. You
>>can get the info you want by opening MY Computer, right clicking on the
>>floppy icon and selecting System Information. Even better, do START>RUN
>>type CMD [enter], and then type at the command prompt "chkdsk a:". This
>>will emulate the DOS chkdsk command and give more detail.
>
> Dave Gillingham
> To email me remove the .private from my email address.

I should add, that if you format the floppy from the CLI (command line
interface), START>RUN type 'cmd' then 'format a:' you will see the old
fashioned screen.

"Dave Gillingham" <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Thank you for that. Still can't see why they couldn't have built it
> into the OS though. It was convenient.
>
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:10:44 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
> <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>There is no DOS in XP. The floppy formatter is not the DOS untility. You
>>can get the info you want by opening MY Computer, right clicking on the
>>floppy icon and selecting System Information. Even better, do START>RUN
>>type CMD [enter], and then type at the command prompt "chkdsk a:". This
>>will emulate the DOS chkdsk command and give more detail.
>
> Dave Gillingham
> To email me remove the .private from my email address.

Colin, you've lost me. I presume XP identifies & marks bad sectors on
a floppy during format, & this information is recorded on the floppy.
So why couldn't a report of nn kilobytes in bad sectors have been
written in to appear on completion of format?

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:47:30 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>Because the OS has not got a drop of DOS in it.

Dave Gillingham

You can open the command line interface (Run), type CMD to get a window, and
enter "chkdsk A:" to check the floppy. You will see the expected result.
Try it. You will not get this information from the OS when using the
Windows GUI methods for formatting. I'm sure that's by design.