Can't get Win2K to detect CD/RW drive...

Hi,

I have a Windows 2000 system with both a DVD drive and a CDRW drive.
The BIOS detects both drives (master and slave, respectively, on my 2nd
IDE channel), but Windows 2000 only detects the DVD drive, and can't see
the CDRW drive at all. Also the CDRW drive doesn't appear in Device
Manager.

For now, I've installed a SIIG IDE controller card just so I can use the
CDRW, and that is working, so I'm sure the CDRW drive is ok, but I was
wondering if anyone might have an idea of how I might get both drives to
work without the extra controller card?

I've tried deleting the DVD drive in Device Manager and rebooting, but
that didn't change anything. I've also tried adding the "cdgone"
registry edits, but that didn't fix it either.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Jim
15 answers Last reply
More about win2k detect drive

    Hi Jim - See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008 It may not
    sound like it applies but take the steps outlined there to delete the Upper
    and Lower Filters.

    You can also use this reg file to handle these deletes (it takes care of
    deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
    pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first so that
    you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually, BTW).

    It's recommended by Compaq/HP that you run FilterFixer also when this occurs
    to recreate the correct entries, here:
    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe Instructions
    here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F83BE7.EC7BFFD6@cox.net
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 system with both a DVD drive and a CDRW drive.
    > The BIOS detects both drives (master and slave, respectively, on my
    > 2nd IDE channel), but Windows 2000 only detects the DVD drive, and
    > can't see the CDRW drive at all. Also the CDRW drive doesn't appear
    > in Device Manager.
    >
    > For now, I've installed a SIIG IDE controller card just so I can use
    > the CDRW, and that is working, so I'm sure the CDRW drive is ok, but
    > I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of how I might get both
    > drives to work without the extra controller card?
    >
    > I've tried deleting the DVD drive in Device Manager and rebooting, but
    > that didn't change anything. I've also tried adding the "cdgone"
    > registry edits, but that didn't fix it either.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Jim (Byrd),

    Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned in my post, I already tried
    the "cdgone" registry thing, and that didn't help.

    Are the other two suggestions any different from "cdgone"? I noticed
    that the registry changes in cdgone did some things with Upper and Lower
    Filter already?

    Jim

    Jim Byrd wrote:

    > Hi Jim - See here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008 It may not
    > sound like it applies but take the steps outlined there to delete the Upper
    > and Lower Filters.
    >
    > You can also use this reg file to handle these deletes (it takes care of
    > deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
    > http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
    > pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first so that
    > you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually, BTW).
    >
    > It's recommended by Compaq/HP that you run FilterFixer also when this occurs
    > to recreate the correct entries, here:
    > ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe Instructions
    > here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >
    > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F83BE7.EC7BFFD6@cox.net
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a Windows 2000 system with both a DVD drive and a CDRW drive.
    > > The BIOS detects both drives (master and slave, respectively, on my
    > > 2nd IDE channel), but Windows 2000 only detects the DVD drive, and
    > > can't see the CDRW drive at all. Also the CDRW drive doesn't appear
    > > in Device Manager.
    > >
    > > For now, I've installed a SIIG IDE controller card just so I can use
    > > the CDRW, and that is working, so I'm sure the CDRW drive is ok, but
    > > I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of how I might get both
    > > drives to work without the extra controller card?
    > >
    > > I've tried deleting the DVD drive in Device Manager and rebooting, but
    > > that didn't change anything. I've also tried adding the "cdgone"
    > > registry edits, but that didn't fix it either.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate any suggestions!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    Hi Jim - Yes they are different - the CDGone download I gave,
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip, handles some additional things
    besides just deleting the Filter entries. I would suggest running both it
    and the FilterFixer package, link to directions here:
    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt, direct download
    here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe, in order,
    maybe?

    --

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F92748.286AEC2E@cox.net
    > Jim (Byrd),
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned in my post, I already
    > tried the "cdgone" registry thing, and that didn't help.
    >
    > Are the other two suggestions any different from "cdgone"? I noticed
    > that the registry changes in cdgone did some things with Upper and
    > Lower Filter already?
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > Jim Byrd wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Jim - See here:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008 It
    >> may not sound like it applies but take the steps outlined there to
    >> delete the Upper and Lower Filters.
    >>
    >> You can also use this reg file to handle these deletes (it takes
    >> care of deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
    >> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
    >> pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first
    >> so that you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually,
    >> BTW).
    >>
    >> It's recommended by Compaq/HP that you run FilterFixer also when
    >> this occurs to recreate the correct entries, here:
    >> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe
    >> Instructions here:
    >> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    >> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Windows 2000 system with both a DVD drive and a CDRW drive.
    >>> The BIOS detects both drives (master and slave, respectively, on my
    >>> 2nd IDE channel), but Windows 2000 only detects the DVD drive, and
    >>> can't see the CDRW drive at all. Also the CDRW drive doesn't appear
    >>> in Device Manager.
    >>>
    >>> For now, I've installed a SIIG IDE controller card just so I can use
    >>> the CDRW, and that is working, so I'm sure the CDRW drive is ok, but
    >>> I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of how I might get both
    >>> drives to work without the extra controller card?
    >>>
    >>> I've tried deleting the DVD drive in Device Manager and rebooting,
    >>> but that didn't change anything. I've also tried adding the
    >>> "cdgone" registry edits, but that didn't fix it either.
    >>>
    >>> I'd appreciate any suggestions!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jim

    Jim,

    Ok, thanks. I'll try the FilterFixer once I get time to open the
    machine again (I have a IDE PCI card in it right now).

    Jim

    Jim Byrd wrote:

    > Hi Jim - Yes they are different - the CDGone download I gave,
    > http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip, handles some additional things
    > besides just deleting the Filter entries. I would suggest running both it
    > and the FilterFixer package, link to directions here:
    > ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt, direct download
    > here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe, in order,
    > maybe?
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >
    > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F92748.286AEC2E@cox.net
    > > Jim (Byrd),
    > >
    > > Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned in my post, I already
    > > tried the "cdgone" registry thing, and that didn't help.
    > >
    > > Are the other two suggestions any different from "cdgone"? I noticed
    > > that the registry changes in cdgone did some things with Upper and
    > > Lower Filter already?
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >

    > > Jim Byrd wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hi Jim - See here:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008 It
    > >> may not sound like it applies but take the steps outlined there to
    > >> delete the Upper and Lower Filters.
    > >>
    > >> You can also use this reg file to handle these deletes (it takes
    > >> care of deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
    > >> pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first
    > >> so that you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually,
    > >> BTW).
    > >>
    > >> It's recommended by Compaq/HP that you run FilterFixer also when
    > >> this occurs to recreate the correct entries, here:
    > >> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe
    > >> Instructions here:
    > >> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > >> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    > >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    > >>
    > >> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message

    Jim,

    Aargh! I ran FilterFixer, and restarted the system, but still can only
    see the DVD drive in Windows. The funny thing is that when I was
    testing, I booted into Safemode, and I could see both the DVD and CDRW
    then???

    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

    > Jim,
    >
    > Ok, thanks. I'll try the FilterFixer once I get time to open the
    > machine again (I have a IDE PCI card in it right now).
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > Jim Byrd wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi Jim - Yes they are different - the CDGone download I gave,
    > > http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip, handles some additional things
    > > besides just deleting the Filter entries. I would suggest running both it
    > > and the FilterFixer package, link to directions here:
    > > ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt, direct download
    > > here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe, in order,
    > > maybe?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    > > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F92748.286AEC2E@cox.net
    > > > Jim (Byrd),
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned in my post, I already
    > > > tried the "cdgone" registry thing, and that didn't help.
    > > >
    > > > Are the other two suggestions any different from "cdgone"? I noticed
    > > > that the registry changes in cdgone did some things with Upper and
    > > > Lower Filter already?
    > > >
    > > > Jim

    Hi Jim - I think we need to step back a little here. IIUY correctly, you
    currently have the DVD installed as master and the RW as slave on the
    secondary IDE channel (when the RW's not on your added IDE controller card).
    Is that correct?

    If so, since it's the RW that won't enumerate, then I would like to check
    the jumpering and the cabling. There are three possible situations to which
    a drive can be set: Master, Slave, or Cable Select. This is usually
    accomplished by either microswitches or, more often, by setting a jumper on
    the drive. Note that on normal IDE cabling, the Master device goes on the
    first (middle of the cable) connector closest to the motherboard, while the
    Slave goes on the end connector.

    Please check that they are both cabled AND jumpered this way - DVD on the
    Master connector, and RW on the Slave connector - and that both devices are
    properly jumpered - DVD as Master and RW as Slave or Cable Select.
    (Alternatively, you might want to try reversing them and jumper the RW as
    the Master on the Master connector and the DVD as the Slave on the end
    connector unless your installation directions specify that the DVD has to be
    a Master. Many motherboards will only boot from a CD if it's the master
    device on the secondary channel, and it's often useful to be able to boot
    from the same drive where you created a CD for reasons I won't go into
    here.) In either case, let's be sure that things are set up correctly
    physically and eliminate that as a problem.

    What devices do you currently have installed on the Primary IDE channel,
    BTW? Two HD's?

    --

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F96A32.1A4A6274@cox.net
    > Jim,
    >
    > Aargh! I ran FilterFixer, and restarted the system, but still can
    > only see the DVD drive in Windows. The funny thing is that when I was
    > testing, I booted into Safemode, and I could see both the DVD and CDRW
    > then???
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > ohaya wrote:
    >>
    >> Jim,
    >>
    >> Ok, thanks. I'll try the FilterFixer once I get time to open the
    >> machine again (I have a IDE PCI card in it right now).
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> Jim Byrd wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Jim - Yes they are different - the CDGone download I gave,
    >>> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip, handles some additional
    >>> things besides just deleting the Filter entries. I would suggest
    >>> running both it and the FilterFixer package, link to directions
    >>> here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt,
    >>> direct download here:
    >>> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe, in
    >>> order, maybe?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    >>> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jim,

    I originally had:

    IDE0: Master: hard drive
    IDE1: Master: DVD (cable select)
    Slave: CDRW (cable select)

    I have 80-wire cables on both IDE0 and IDE1.

    I just tried switching so that I had:

    IDE1: Master: CDRW (cable select)
    Slave: DVD (cable select)

    But Windows can still only see the DVD drive. In other words, it
    doesn't matter whether the DVD is master or slave, Windows sees it, but
    will not see the CDRW drive.

    If I connect only the CDRW on IDE1, Windows sees it.

    I haven't tried either the DVD or CDRW on IDE0 yet (the cable won't
    reach).

    Jim

    Jim Byrd wrote:

    > Hi Jim - I think we need to step back a little here. IIUY correctly, you
    > currently have the DVD installed as master and the RW as slave on the
    > secondary IDE channel (when the RW's not on your added IDE controller card).
    > Is that correct?
    >
    > If so, since it's the RW that won't enumerate, then I would like to check
    > the jumpering and the cabling. There are three possible situations to which
    > a drive can be set: Master, Slave, or Cable Select. This is usually
    > accomplished by either microswitches or, more often, by setting a jumper on
    > the drive. Note that on normal IDE cabling, the Master device goes on the
    > first (middle of the cable) connector closest to the motherboard, while the
    > Slave goes on the end connector.
    >
    > Please check that they are both cabled AND jumpered this way - DVD on the
    > Master connector, and RW on the Slave connector - and that both devices are
    > properly jumpered - DVD as Master and RW as Slave or Cable Select.
    > (Alternatively, you might want to try reversing them and jumper the RW as
    > the Master on the Master connector and the DVD as the Slave on the end
    > connector unless your installation directions specify that the DVD has to be
    > a Master. Many motherboards will only boot from a CD if it's the master
    > device on the secondary channel, and it's often useful to be able to boot
    > from the same drive where you created a CD for reasons I won't go into
    > here.) In either case, let's be sure that things are set up correctly
    > physically and eliminate that as a problem.
    >
    > What devices do you currently have installed on the Primary IDE channel,
    > BTW? Two HD's?
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >
    > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F96A32.1A4A6274@cox.net
    > > Jim,
    > >
    > > Aargh! I ran FilterFixer, and restarted the system, but still can
    > > only see the DVD drive in Windows. The funny thing is that when I was
    > > testing, I booted into Safemode, and I could see both the DVD and CDRW
    > > then???
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >

    > > ohaya wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Jim,
    > >>
    > >> Ok, thanks. I'll try the FilterFixer once I get time to open the
    > >> machine again (I have a IDE PCI card in it right now).
    > >>
    > >> Jim

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jim, have you also tried it with the jumper settings on the drives set to
    Master and/or Slave, as appropriate to their position on the cable, rather
    than just Cable Select? Some drives won't handle Cable Select correctly
    sometimes in my experience.

    --

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F977F1.9B076238@cox.net
    > Jim,
    >
    > I originally had:
    >
    > IDE0: Master: hard drive
    > IDE1: Master: DVD (cable select)
    > Slave: CDRW (cable select)
    >
    > I have 80-wire cables on both IDE0 and IDE1.
    >
    > I just tried switching so that I had:
    >
    > IDE1: Master: CDRW (cable select)
    > Slave: DVD (cable select)
    >
    > But Windows can still only see the DVD drive. In other words, it
    > doesn't matter whether the DVD is master or slave, Windows sees it,
    > but will not see the CDRW drive.
    >
    > If I connect only the CDRW on IDE1, Windows sees it.
    >
    > I haven't tried either the DVD or CDRW on IDE0 yet (the cable won't
    > reach).
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > Jim Byrd wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Jim - I think we need to step back a little here. IIUY
    >> correctly, you currently have the DVD installed as master and the RW
    >> as slave on the secondary IDE channel (when the RW's not on your
    >> added IDE controller card). Is that correct?
    >>
    >> If so, since it's the RW that won't enumerate, then I would like to
    >> check the jumpering and the cabling. There are three possible
    >> situations to which a drive can be set: Master, Slave, or Cable
    >> Select. This is usually accomplished by either microswitches or,
    >> more often, by setting a jumper on the drive. Note that on normal
    >> IDE cabling, the Master device goes on the first (middle of the
    >> cable) connector closest to the motherboard, while the Slave goes on
    >> the end connector.
    >>
    >> Please check that they are both cabled AND jumpered this way - DVD
    >> on the Master connector, and RW on the Slave connector - and that
    >> both devices are properly jumpered - DVD as Master and RW as Slave
    >> or Cable Select. (Alternatively, you might want to try reversing
    >> them and jumper the RW as the Master on the Master connector and the
    >> DVD as the Slave on the end connector unless your installation
    >> directions specify that the DVD has to be a Master. Many
    >> motherboards will only boot from a CD if it's the master device on
    >> the secondary channel, and it's often useful to be able to boot from
    >> the same drive where you created a CD for reasons I won't go into
    >> here.) In either case, let's be sure that things are set up
    >> correctly physically and eliminate that as a problem.
    >>
    >> What devices do you currently have installed on the Primary IDE
    >> channel, BTW? Two HD's?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    >> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> Jim,
    >>>
    >>> Aargh! I ran FilterFixer, and restarted the system, but still can
    >>> only see the DVD drive in Windows. The funny thing is that when I
    >>> was testing, I booted into Safemode, and I could see both the DVD
    >>> and CDRW then???
    >>>
    >>> Jim

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jim,

    Sorry. I forgot to mention that. I think that was the 1st thing I
    tried, which I was using a 40 wire cable. When I switched to the 80
    wire cable (to try to get this working), I put both drives on cable
    select...

    BTW, I mentioned that both drives appear in Safemode. Is there a hint
    there? What's different when in Safemode?

    Jim

    Jim Byrd wrote:

> [...]
    > >> the end connector.
    > >>
    > >> Please check that they are both cabled AND jumpered this way - DVD
    > >> on the Master connector, and RW on the Slave connector - and that
    > >> both devices are properly jumpered - DVD as Master and RW as Slave
    > >> or Cable Select. (Alternatively, you might want to try reversing
    > >> them and jumper the RW as the Master on the Master connector and the
    > >> DVD as the Slave on the end connector unless your installation
    > >> directions specify that the DVD has to be a Master. Many
    > >> motherboards will only boot from a CD if it's the master device on
    > >> the secondary channel, and it's often useful to be able to boot from
    > >> the same drive where you created a CD for reasons I won't go into
    > >> here.) In either case, let's be sure that things are set up
    > >> correctly physically and eliminate that as a problem.
    > >>
    > >> What devices do you currently have installed on the Primary IDE

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Well, quite a lot actually! :) Try doing a "Clean Boot" and see if they
    show up. From my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in Signature below:

    #########IMPORTANT#########

    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible, logged on as an Administrator. BEFORE
    running these tools, be sure to clear all Temp files and your Temporary
    Internet Files (TIF)(including offline content.) Reboot and test if the
    malware is fixed after using each tool.

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
    OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

    1. StartRun enter msconfig.

    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
    System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
    boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
    then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
    True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
    (enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
    other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
    enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
    ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
    after cleaning your machine.

    4. Click OK and then reboot.

    For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
    click the following article links to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    --

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F980F8.7BAEA4CA@cox.net
    > Jim,
    >
    > Sorry. I forgot to mention that. I think that was the 1st thing I
    > tried, which I was using a 40 wire cable. When I switched to the 80
    > wire cable (to try to get this working), I put both drives on cable
    > select...
    >
    > BTW, I mentioned that both drives appear in Safemode. Is there a hint
    > there? What's different when in Safemode?
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > Jim Byrd wrote:
    >>
    >> Jim, have you also tried it with the jumper settings on the drives
    >> set to Master and/or Slave, as appropriate to their position on the
    >> cable, rather than just Cable Select? Some drives won't handle
    >> Cable Select correctly sometimes in my experience.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    >> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> Jim,
    >>>
    >>> I originally had:
    >>>
    >>> IDE0: Master: hard drive
    >>> IDE1: Master: DVD (cable select)
    >>> Slave: CDRW (cable select)
    >>>
    >>> I have 80-wire cables on both IDE0 and IDE1.
    >>>
    >>> I just tried switching so that I had:
    >>>
    >>> IDE1: Master: CDRW (cable select)
    >>> Slave: DVD (cable select)
    >>>
    >>> But Windows can still only see the DVD drive. In other words, it
    >>> doesn't matter whether the DVD is master or slave, Windows sees it,
    >>> but will not see the CDRW drive.
    >>>
    >>> If I connect only the CDRW on IDE1, Windows sees it.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried either the DVD or CDRW on IDE0 yet (the cable won't
    >>> reach).
    >>>
    >>> Jim

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jim,

    I just tried a clean boot, and the CDRW drive still doesn't show up
    :(...

    Jim

    Jim Byrd wrote:

> [...]
    > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >
    > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F980F8.7BAEA4CA@cox.net
    > > Jim,
    > >
    > > Sorry. I forgot to mention that. I think that was the 1st thing I
    > > tried, which I was using a 40 wire cable. When I switched to the 80
    > > wire cable (to try to get this working), I put both drives on cable
    > > select...
    > >
    > > BTW, I mentioned that both drives appear in Safemode. Is there a hint
    > > there? What's different when in Safemode?
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >

    > > Jim Byrd wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Jim, have you also tried it with the jumper settings on the drives
    > >> set to Master and/or Slave, as appropriate to their position on the
    > >> cable, rather than just Cable Select? Some drives won't handle
    > >> Cable Select correctly sometimes in my experience.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    OK, Jim - let me think about it. I'm going to knock off for tonight. Also,
    maybe someone else has a suggestion and would like to chime in. :)

    --

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F98988.E43EB912@cox.net
> [...]
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267288/EN-US/
    >> 192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/EN-US/
    >> 243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243039/EN-US/
    >> #########IMPORTANT#########
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    >> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> Jim,
    >>>
    >>> Sorry. I forgot to mention that. I think that was the 1st thing I
    >>> tried, which I was using a 40 wire cable. When I switched to the 80
    >>> wire cable (to try to get this working), I put both drives on cable
    >>> select...
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I mentioned that both drives appear in Safemode. Is there a
    >>> hint there? What's different when in Safemode?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jim,

    I dug up an old 24x CDROM drive, and tried that in place of the CDRW,
    and guess what? Yep, Windows sees both the DVD drive and the CDROM
    drive.

    This is fine for me. I was mainly interested in having both a CD and
    DVD drive on this machine. I just happened to try the CDRW first.

    Thanks for all of your patience and efforts. I still don't understand
    why the CDRW was not being detected, because it did work when it was in
    the machine by itself. It just didn't want to play nicely with the DVD
    drive.

    In case you're wondering, the CDRW is a TDK 32/10/40...

    Thanks again,
    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

> [...]
    > > 192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/EN-US/
    > > 243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243039/EN-US/
    > > #########IMPORTANT#########
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    > > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F980F8.7BAEA4CA@cox.net
    > > > Jim,
    > > >
    > > > Sorry. I forgot to mention that. I think that was the 1st thing I
    > > > tried, which I was using a 40 wire cable. When I switched to the 80
    > > > wire cable (to try to get this working), I put both drives on cable
    > > > select...
    > > >
    > > > BTW, I mentioned that both drives appear in Safemode. Is there a hint
    > > > there? What's different when in Safemode?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    OK, Jim, as long as you can live with that, fine. YW, although I don't
    think I really did you much good. :)

    --

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42F99116.15DB569B@cox.net
> [...]
    >>> Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    >>> and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig
    >>> configuration after cleaning your machine.
    >>>
    >>> 4. Click OK and then reboot.
    >>>
    >>> For additional information about how to clean boot your operating
    >>> system, click the following article links to view the articles in
    >>> the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    >>>
    >>> 310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    >>> 281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770/EN-US/
    >>> 267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267288/EN-US/
    >>> 192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/EN-US/
    >>> 243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jim,

    It's not ideal, but it's ok. I would still be interested in trying to
    get the TDK CDRW working if you come or anyone else has any ideas,
    because otherwise, it's just being wasted.

    Jim

Windows 2000 DVD Drives Windows