Sign in with
Your question

Any experience with HD-out connection anyone?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
  • Components
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2007 7:40:00 AM

I'm talking about the 9 pin Component Cable thing that comes with some Nvidia cards.

I posted this on the Graphics Card section and not the Nvidia section because I figured it'd get more views.

What I'm wondering is, how high of a resolution does it get on an HDTV?

480P, 720P, 960P or 1080i?

Also, is the quality really HD or is it something like regular component cable? (Slightly better than S-video, but not really HD or progressive)

I'm wondering if using this connection, someone could use their projector TV as an HD monitor of a large size?

I used to TRY to use S-Video on a big screen TV but the resolution was too crappy and you couldn't read text.

More about : experience connection

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 4:25:07 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about the 9 pin Component Cable thing that comes with some Nvidia cards.

I posted this on the Graphics Card section and not the Nvidia section because I figured it'd get more views.

What I'm wondering is, how high of a resolution does it get on an HDTV?

480P, 720P, 960P or 1080i?

Also, is the quality really HD or is it something like regular component cable? (Slightly better than S-video, but not really HD or progressive)

I'm wondering if using this connection, someone could use their projector TV as an HD monitor of a large size?

I used to TRY to use S-Video on a big screen TV but the resolution was too crappy and you couldn't read text.

component,dvi,hdmi, and rgb will give you hd.
s-video wont.

if you have an hd capable monitor then you can use it .
January 7, 2007 7:07:01 PM

So in other words, the connection and box art is lying? It's basically advertising HD out when it's just standard video converted to RGB?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 7:15:11 PM

I could be mistaken but if you have HD content on your PC you wish to view on an HDTV then yes, the component output will supply your TV with HD. I have an HDTV tuner card on my PC and it outs perfect HD picture to my HDTV via compoment cable. I have yet to try this with my 8800 gts which claims to do HD out but I fully expect it to work.
January 7, 2007 7:37:52 PM

It is HD out, as long as you have the proper component cables. You can select the resolution (1920x1080) for the display. Its pretty cool to have as a game screen too... played HL2 and CS:S on my HDTV, was pretty damn sweet i must say...

:p 
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 10:03:55 PM

Quote:
So in other words, the connection and box art is lying? It's basically advertising HD out when it's just standard video converted to RGB?

no i am just saying that with the cables i was talking about
will pass an hd signal through them.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 10:52:18 PM

Quote:

s-video wont.

Well the connector isn't just S-video, it looks like a plain S-video port but has added connectors for the component connector.

As to what kind of output it provides, RGB or Component (Y,U,V / Y,Pb,Pr) he should check with User Manual.

The Hybrid connector (top) and the Svideo connector;

The dongle;

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 11:16:26 PM

Quote:

s-video wont.

Well the connector isn't just S-video, it looks like a plain S-video port but has added connectors for the component connector.

As to what kind of output it provides, RGB or Component (Y,U,V / Y,Pb,Pr) he should check with User Manual.

The Hybrid connector (top) and the Svideo connector;

ok then i would imagine that hybrid s-vid should carry an hd signal
just fine. since regular s-vid splits the signal in two.

and the hybrid s-vid will carry all three.

cool thanks didnt know that :D 

The dongle;

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 11:18:18 PM

:oops:  i mixed my reply in with yours.

i have seen those and have some but always figured they down converted
component to regular s-vid.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 11:21:01 PM

No worries, you can always edit it, but I understood, at first said where's the reply but found it no problem.
!