dynamic volume questions, and deletion problems

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok, I got a WD3200KS drive (SATA) which for some reason is recognized as "dynamic" by Windows. I browsed thru help section of disc management, deleted the volume in order to make it normal, but the promised option did not appear. Still dynamic, no matter what SATA channel I put it on.

Anyone have any idead on how to make it non-dynamic? I'd like to install OS on it.
I was thinking that the fact that I just quick formatted it to NTFS when i got it out of the box, is to blame, not sure tho.

This is an older article, but it appears that all volumes/partitions on the dynamic disk need to be deleted before the "convert to basic" option appears.

You didn't mention if you had more than one partition on your drive, but if you do, this may work.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
That's the problem. I did look thru a bunch of articles, but to no avail.

I did/do have one partition on it, but after deleting the volume - the option "convert to basic" did not appear, though i was kinda expecting it would ))

I don't know if it will work, but you can try deleting the drive from the device manager, reboot and let windows redetect it.

Also, this refers to Win2k. Don't know if it still applies to XP and it doesn't sound like you were using it as a boot disk previously.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217226/en-us

Everything else I've seen implies that deleteing all partitions on a dynamic disk should allow you to convert back to basic so I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. Good luck!

sturm

Splendid
If all else fails try booting to a windoes me/98 boot disk. run fdisk and delete all the partitions. Dont make any new ones at all. Do that when installing windows.