Sign in with
Your question

New Overclocker In Need

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2007 9:15:35 AM

Ok i got my new computer from gateway cool i know. its the core 2 e6400 with 2 gigs of ram and a geforce 7600gs. to tell you the truth i am not impressed with the systems ability to multitask and handle games. i expected to see a faster boot-up and ultra fast program loading. this is not to say its a hell of a lot better than my celeron 2.0 ghz system. i thought overclocking would be a good idea along with looking into a 2nd hdd with help from raid 0. i have never looked into ocing before i am using this site to read up and figure out what the hell to do. i was wondering if anyone could suggest anything i might need to purchase (id rather not spend money i dont have), information i need on my system, and where to start. any replies would be appreciated.

More about : overclocker

January 7, 2007 11:00:04 PM

i was afraid that would be the case. i suspected that the motherboard would not be good enough since it seems like gateway is trying to keep the motherboard model classified haha well looks like im goin to be starting my computer adventure by shopping around for motherboards. the gateway model is the GM5266E, does anybody know how i can find out what motherboard is inside of this god forsaken case?
January 7, 2007 11:41:59 PM

the bios will give you an idea of what your mobo is.

also cpu-z and pcwizard will to.

another option would be to purchase another mobo
and swap it out with your current parts.

though you would have to reinstall windows.
Related resources
January 7, 2007 11:52:10 PM

Get the motherboard and hard drive at the same time, that way you won't have to install Windows twice.
January 8, 2007 2:20:16 AM

mr. family replying made me think of something.

if you do go the route of replacing the mobo.
the psu that came with your sys will probably be able to handle the oc.

but if you add another hdd it would be a good idea to upgrade the
psu as well.

as adding another hdd and oc,ing might be too much for the stock psu.
January 8, 2007 4:41:19 PM

its a 500watt psu that would be fine wouldnt it? i do not want to reinstall everything i would have to update all the games and with 25kb/s dls it takes a while to update wow and css but...thats just me complaining though its not 2 bad.
January 8, 2007 10:37:54 PM

Quote:
its a 500watt psu that would be fine wouldnt it? i do not want to reinstall everything i would have to update all the games and with 25kb/s dls it takes a while to update wow and css but...thats just me complaining though its not 2 bad.

do you plan to add another hdd?

if so then you should be good to go.

if you want to get another mobo and hdd and oc then
we would need the spec on the side of the psu.
!