Cannot access Control panel

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 9, 2005 8:26:03 AM

The problem begins after the server being reboot.

When I try to access control panel via start menu, it just freeze the PC for
like a few minutes before the following messages came up:
"Cannot find the file ‘(null)’ (or one of its components). Make
sure the path
and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
available."

and

"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

In addition to that, all the icon on desktop has disappear and most of the
programes cannot be run from the start menu except the programmes located on
the quick launch.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

More about : access control panel

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:43:33 PM

ltteh wrote:

> The problem begins after the server being reboot.
>
> When I try to access control panel via start menu, it just freeze the PC for
> like a few minutes before the following messages came up:
> "Cannot find the file ‘(null)’ (or one of its components). Make
> sure the path
> and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> available."
>
> and
>
> "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."
>
> In addition to that, all the icon on desktop has disappear and most of the
> programes cannot be run from the start menu except the programmes located on
> the quick launch.
>
> Any suggestion? Thanks.
Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/st...

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

You should now be able to uninstall it.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
August 9, 2005 5:43:34 PM

Hi,

Yes, it has PowerChute UPS software (APC) installed on the computer but I
have no idea which version is it being install.

Further to that, at the moment I can't access any menu, programmes except
the one already open before I click on the control panel which I mention
earlier. I can't restart the server right now as all other PCs application is
run from this server.

Thanks.
August 9, 2005 5:43:34 PM

Hi again,

I finally manage to check the version of the software by remote access (only
certain feature can be access).

Any suggestion on how to uninstall the software without going through
"add/remove" programme in the control panel? Thanks. Will try to uninstall it
at the end of the day if I can find a way to install it. Thanks again.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:50:17 PM

ltteh wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I finally manage to check the version of the software by remote
> access (only certain feature can be access).
>
> Any suggestion on how to uninstall the software without going
> through "add/remove" programme in the control panel? Thanks. Will
> try to uninstall it at the end of the day if I can find a way to
> install it. Thanks again.

Hi,

Do the regedit's I listed in my first post, and then reboot the
server. Everything should go back to normal after that, and you
can then uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
August 9, 2005 8:50:18 PM

Thanks. Will try that at the end of the day.
!