New to forums and looking for (yes, you guessed it...)advice

WitsEnd

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Hey all!

First I'd like to introduce myself and say I've been reading Tom's Hardware site for quite a while now, but only recently ventured over here to the forums. I've been messing around with computers for...geez I'm getting old...14 years now, but I am still learning new stuff every day and still manage to do incredibly stupid things more often than I care to admit! :oops:

I am interested in getting your opinions regarding a decision I am facing at the moment. I'm getting less and less happy with the performance of my computer but because of poor planning I think I am in a really tough spot now.

Here's the scenario: I have 2GB of G.Skill ZX PC3200 DDR ram, a GeForce 6800GT AGP graphics card, and a (cough) AMD64-3200 cpu. This is all installed in a socket 939 MSI K8N-Neo2 Plat. board.

I am mostly a gamer, so my games are both cpu and gpu limited at this point. I actually ordered and installed an Opty 165 but it turned out to be defective and I returned it, which has now given me a second chance to re-evaluate my options.

The trouble is, I really can't afford to fork out money for a new mobo, processor, ram, and video. But sadly I guess the only thing I can really hope to save is my ram at this point...or do you guys think that my cpu would be powerful enough to drive a good videocard?

Sorry for such a long post, and thanks a ton if you stayed the course, and for any insight you care to give! :)

P.S. I posted this in the mobo forum because I was reading a post about the ASRock VSTA boards, which may end up being part of my solution.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
why don't you try overclocking your CPU?
The K8N Neo2 isn't too bad at all as long as you avoid the 2 SATA ports that aren't locked (nF3 chipset problem common to all boards)

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The Opty didn't work because your nF3 chipset won't support dual cores.

I'm afraid that you are kinda stuck. If you had PCI-E instead of AGP this would be easy. The only cheap way to boost performance is through a mild overclock. If you are willing to throw away the Asrock board down the road, then the $ spent on a new Conroe won't be wasted. BUT, you will not get a huge gaming performance increase using the same videocard.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
you might try to oc the cpu, should be able to get to 2.4ghz.

and you can oc the gpu a little to.

this will give a little performance boost, not much though.
as oc,ing doesnt make much difference in gaming.

other than that, a whole new build is in order.

WitsEnd

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Hey, thanks for the replies.

I should have been more clear about some things I see. The Opty was defective which is why I had to send it back; my mobo supports the 165 and 175 with a bios flash. I had a great stepping too--CCBBE 0615 EPMW.

As to overclocking my cpu--I can get maybe 200MHz extra stable out of this one. In fact, I tried again today before I answered this post but it failed Orthos after 40 mins. And that was with very relaxed memory timings of 166MHz, 2.5, 3, 3, 7 (mem is rated at 2, 3, 2, 5). When I was testing to get higher fsb speeds I was using a cpu multi of 9 and bumping the voltage all the way up to 1.5 (inc. +3.3 boost) and ran into the same speed range limitation--245 FSB with 9 multi was the highest I could go. Didn't do lengthy Orthos with that setting though. But as soon as I set it to 250, even with ram at 3,4,4,8 and voltage at 1.525 it would fail Orthos within 3 mins.

Well, here I've gone and ran off at the mouth again lol. Sorry about that!

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Well then, the next question is whether you are willing to spend another $120-250 on an AGP card upgrade. Check out Tom's January article on best bang for the buck (includes AGP) and then look at the Newegg offerings starting at $120 X1650pro up to the $250 7800. It's up to you whether it's worth the money. An Opty is up to the task for support.