Sign in with
Your question
Closed

External Graphics Card - Finally!!!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2007 1:10:02 PM

Quote:
The XG Station is powered externally. A separate power brick plugs directly into the adaptor.

By-passing the psu. 8O ATI said it wanted to do that - instead of having to buy a new psu, I like it. Knobs for clock speeds right on the case :lol: 

Looks like an old tape drive, floppy, or something you'd see a late 80's PC have.
January 7, 2007 1:44:21 PM

i dont like it it look expensive, and pointless, you could just buy a new laptop. or if you have half a brain you would have bought a laptop sith PCI Express, and upgrade with go or mobility cards.
Related resources
January 7, 2007 2:58:24 PM

The compact mobile cards aren't as fast as the equivenlent model for a full size case.

I'd like to see this on a desktop. You could go to your buddies house, hook it up on his pc, plug it into the wall (which I still like) and share the wealth. Just the seperate power pack makes this appealing - especialy if you don't want to fuss with a PSU upgrade. No more wondering if the amperage and wattage will support it. As far as it being for a laptop, yeah. Overkill.
January 7, 2007 3:32:29 PM

Quote:
i dont like it it look expensive, and pointless, you could just buy a new laptop. or if you have half a brain you would have bought a laptop sith PCI Express, and upgrade with go or mobility cards.

well maybe you just want to be able to upgrade your laptop, without having to buy a new one. Or maybe you don't want to have to have a laptop which is huge, if you want to game and be mobile.

I can see plenty of uses for this :) 
January 7, 2007 5:42:31 PM

Quote:

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
I take it you're in the sales end of the business, e.g.,
If you'd like to upgrade your power supply, if you had half a brain, you would buy a new computer :p 
If you'd like to upgrade your video card, if you had half a brain, you would buy a new computer :p 
If you'd like to upgrade your CPU, if you had half a brain, you would buy a new computer :p 

:twisted: Nice flamestarter!
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 7:53:40 PM

Quote:
The XG Station is powered externally. A separate power brick plugs directly into the adaptor.

By-passing the psu. 8O ATI said it wanted to do that - instead of having to buy a new psu, I like it.

According to the InQ though it's maxed at 125W currently, and the production version will be limited to 150W, which handily enough matches PCIE-2.0

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36758

Quote:
As far as it being for a laptop, yeah. Overkill.

WTF!?!

Dobby's obviously a tool , either a corporate one or the drooling kind, but I expect more from you.

Tell me what's missing from a Merom T7600 Equipped Laptop w/ 2GB DDR2-667 + 160GB Perpindicular SATAII drive, plus Audigy2ZS other than the ability to buy an X1650XT or X1950Pro class graphics solution for it. And for those of us who have migrated over to laptop only, I don't need the power of an X1950P when in the plane watching a DVD or editing a PowerPoint presentation, however it'd be nice to have when Crysis comes out and you want more ooomph and the option to upgrade.

I doubt even a mid range T5600 or TurionX2 with 1GB of memory would not meet recommended spec for any game until 2009, however I could see the MRX1700 or GF7700 being unplayable once DX10 fully gets going in 2008.

Why should laptop owners have to upgrade every year which involves a complete change, when often it's impossible to find a good solution every time you wanna upgrade. In my case the Gateway 850/860 has the nicest full-sized keyboard (the HP is a close second IMO), but it has very limited graphics options, and while I will probably move to an HP, but I will either have to pay for another spare battery or forgoe that benifit I've enjoyed, while the Gateway replacement uses the same I currently have. So to many who this product is actually directed at, it's the one thing that is a pain to try and put into a laptop without it becoming a desktop replacement battery chewing behemoth. And from experience, anything I can do to get a very hot rarely used part outside the confines of the chassis heating other parts and drawing battery resources and only to add it when needed is good.

I like this product, but the only two questions I have are A) is there increased latency and bandwidth issues that would affect performance (like putting a GF8800/X1950 on a PCI slot) B) and does this in anyway impact the HDCP chain (I doubt it); think of this, you have a low-end laptop equipped the ExpressCard slot, now you can add a GF7600GS/X1300-1600 with HDCP and an external HD-DVD Xbox drive and voila now you've added HD-DVD, instead of buying a whole new laptop.

Seriously anyone who thinks like dobby really should re-examine their reasons for why they buy their hardware, because I can't see adding options to any format (desktop or laptop) as being a pointless endeavour. That's DELL type of thinking, you wanna upgrade buy another, don't try to add anything yourself. Heck to my current laptop I've added 2GB of memory and an Audigy 2ZS, if I bought a new laptop every time I had the opportunity to uprade a feature I'd have about 4 laptops to simply cover the upgrades to this one let alone the half dozen or so I've owned before it. I've added 3 external HDs plus brought over my previous laptop's external LG burner with DVD-RAM support, if I tried to even buy a laptop with what I've created it wouldn't be possible (got any laptops out there with 500GB drives?) or it'd cost me a fortune.

If I could get a gaming ThinkPad I might return to that, this puts the power in my hands not someone else's which I think is a good thing.
January 7, 2007 8:33:59 PM

A nice desktop solution would be great! When you wanna game or whatnot and need the graphics power, just plug one in and let'er rip!
January 7, 2007 9:18:55 PM

Definently going in the right direction. I agree.

Quote:
And from experience, anything I can do to get a very hot rarely used part outside the confines of the chassis heating other parts and drawing battery resources and only to add it when needed is good.

Instead of having the laptop at 120 degrees and being too hot to touch.

Im hopefull they cary this through to the desktop PC. It solves two problems instantly on both platforms. A: Wattage/rail amperage and B: ambient chasis/videocard heat.

Quote:
Quote:

WTF!?!

IMO though Ape, if I'm going to game, it's not gonna be on a 14 or 15 inch moving screen and a tiny keyboard. Call me anal. :? Not banging the idea one bit though! Great inovation here.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2007 10:17:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WTF!?!

IMO though Ape, if I'm going to game, it's not gonna be on a 14 or 15 inch moving screen and a tiny keyboard.

Well my laptop is a 17" Gateway with Fullsized keyboard with numpad (actually one of the reason I mentioned it earlier). It and the HP and only a few others (some toshibas, but not the Qosmio, and it's oh for playing games ergonomically, but I do wish it had a little more grunt for newer games like Oblivion, and upcoming games like Crysis.

If I were buying one now I could get the low end 17" Gateway with a GF7600GS for HD-DVD playback, but then have the option of adding a GF7900GS or GF7950GT or better yet GF8800GTS (if supported) for gaming.

http://www.gateway.com/products/GConfig/proddetails.asp...
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can...

And that's not even getting ridiculous like the ASUS 20" model or ALienware and Voodoo 19" models, all of which are still stuck with GF7 series, and I'm sure the guys with those would love the option to add a GF8800GTS.

Of course the benifit for LANing is limited wince you still can't use the integrated LCD, so a Shuttle would be about as gainly and you still need an external monitor. But hey if you were going to hook up to a 24+" external monitor anyways then this makes that a possability for us Notebook users, whereas few laptop solutions will support that let alone the 30" Samsung beauty.

So really it'd be very much like a desktop when you need it (add Logitech keyboard and Samsung monitor) but when you need portability you don't have to buy two computers and can keep everything in one place.
January 8, 2007 3:53:21 PM

My apolagies for my kneejerk reaction.

The advent of the external PCIe video card brings up some questions concerning ExpressCard capability and the PCIe architecture.
This gives some information:
http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/about.jsp
Quote:
ExpressCard-compliant host platforms must support both the PCI Express and USB interfaces. This includes a single PCI Express lane (x1) operating at the baseline 2.5Gbps data rate, in each direction, as defined in the PCI Express Base Specification 1.0a by the PCI-SIG.

When trying to determine if a particular laptop can support a 16 lane card, I can't quite seem to find a definative answer.

My case is that a have a Compaq R4000. It has an ExpressCard/54 slot but I can't find much information about it. There are drivers in Device Manager: PciXX21/x515 Cardbus controller and PciXX21 Integrated Flashmedia controller. These don't tell me a lot with regard to how many lanes my ExpressCard slot supports. They tech manual is even less help in that it only says the card slots exist. The HP website for driver updates doesn't list any drivers for the card slot but I suspect that's because it's just coming out (the technology - not the slot).

The overall question then is: Can my laptop support the new external graphics card interface technology? How would I know? If my hardware only supports a single 1x PCIe lane, will the interface be of any use to me with regard to external video card technology?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
January 8, 2007 4:09:09 PM

Anyone have any ideas about the cost of one of these things?
January 8, 2007 4:24:03 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas about the cost of one of these things?

My WAG would be in the $100 range plus the cost of the video card. I'm making that guess based on the price of the case, power supply, slot, and circuit board. I would also guess that manufacturers will be offering these with an installed card option.

But that's just a WAG!
January 8, 2007 4:54:23 PM

:lol:  The hell is a WAG? Wagered Analysised Guess?

Well, as of my WAG ... :D  well and beyond 200 dollars being a specialized 7900GS with a HUD, case, external PSU and perks.

WAGing approved and licensed.
January 8, 2007 5:00:24 PM

WAG = Wild A** Guess
:lol: 
January 8, 2007 5:01:38 PM

:lol: 

1 out of 3 ain't bad. :mrgreen:
January 8, 2007 5:22:58 PM

Jeez it looks like their marketing dept. got it wrong in that it doesn't support GPU's with multiple input power requirements like the 8800GTX, and you have to buy it with a crappy 7900GS even if you don't want it.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2007 6:01:56 PM

Quote:
Jeez it looks like their marketing dept. got it wrong in that it doesn't support GPU's with multiple input power requirements like the 8800GTX,

Where did their marketing department say it would accomodate the GF8800GTX, even the Inq only mentioned a GTS as a wishful suggestion.

Quote:
and you have to buy it with a crappy 7900GS even if you don't want it.

That's the current kit, but it doesn't say limited to... it says that the full kit comes with the GF7900GS, but it also mentions upgrade opportunities, which means other options too, even if not at announcement/launch.

We'll have to wait and see what the restrictions are, but either way, still an upgrade path for those laptops infected with integrated graphics.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2007 7:11:08 PM

Quote:
I just found this link:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1310817#post1310817

Ouch!!!! I seem to remember something about this but didn't pay much attention at the time. If it's true that ExpressCard will only support 1x, then what's the point for laptops?

Yeah, that guy doesn't understand the question.

A) Sounds like he thinks people are trying to fit a full size card in their notebook.

B) He thinks it's powered by the bus, and that's not the case, it's just signalling, the power comes from the external brick.

C)He thinks only about feeding the native LCD, which is not the issue, external monitor is a given.

D)The BW throughput is actually 4 times that of traditional PCI, and it's effectively about the same as AGP2X.

The main question will be if the impact is enough to make a difference, the PCI barrier is more than just a bandwidth one.

The ability to add an MXM or AXIOM solution is nice, but this will likely be a good stop gap method. The question will be overall performance versus the other possible options.

Seeing as it is restricted to current Expres card standards, likely the igh end cards would lose alot of their benifits including closer operations with the CPU, likely the limits to benifits will be around the GF7900/X1950 level. It'll be interesting to see what people like HKEPC do when these hit the market place.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2007 8:00:28 PM

This would be a big win for me as I have a nice laptop but since it's company owned, and they don't care about how well I can game in my offtime, they only packed it with a X1400.

LOTS of laptop users have no say in what kind of graphics card is in their machine. Like me. Since I didn't shell out $2000+ for my Core Duo with 2gigs of ram and 100GB 7200rpm HDD, bluetooth, blah blah blah, I can justify $200 or $300 so I don't need another machine for gaming at home.

That is, if I didn't already have a gaming desktop. But not everyone does. Even still, I might consider selling it off to save space and to finance this thing plus a mondo video card like an 8800GTX, if it could handle it.
January 8, 2007 8:54:44 PM

Wish I knew these were coming out... then i could have bought a smaller laptop w/o the integrate 7800go.... give me way better battery life... then i could plug this up any time I wanted to game on it (i have never gamed when not plugged in lol)

But the one thing I would wonder about: What happens if the power goes out when your are using this to play a game???
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2007 4:23:51 AM

Quote:

But the one thing I would wonder about: What happens if the power goes out when your are using this to play a game???

Hook it up to a UPS and no problemo. :twisted:

Likely you would lose your graphics, but then again if your external monitor isn't on a UPS either it'd be gone too anyways. The only thing is likely you'd also get a bunch of errors to for non-reporting hardware, but that's all IMO.
July 4, 2010 6:30:28 AM

piratepast40 said:
Quote:

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
I take it you're in the sales end of the business, e.g.,
If you'd like to upgrade your power supply, if you had half a brain, you would buy a new computer :p 
If you'd like to upgrade your video card, if you had half a brain, you would buy a new computer :p 
If you'd like to upgrade your CPU, if you had half a brain, you would buy a new computer :p 

:twisted: Nice flamestarter!

yes, I am totally agree with you. it's better to buy a new computer :D 
July 4, 2010 7:00:51 AM

you just revived a 3 year old thread. . .
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 10:10:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!