Can't fix winupdate problem cos no proxycfg tool

ms

Hi,

I'm getting an error when updating Windows 2000 Pro SP4.
The error is 0x80072EFD.

The support center's advise is to add all the windows update domain names
to the 'allowed' list in IE's settings and in my firewall, both of which
I've done, and then to clear the 'exceptions' in IE's 'Connections->LAN'
settings (none to delete), and finally to clear the 'proxy cache' by doing
the following:

------------------
net stop wuauserv
proxycfg -d
proxycfg -u
net start wuauserv
------------------

Starting and stopping the wuauserv service worked fine but when I tried to
use proxycfg tool I got an error:

'unable to locate Dll WINHTTPS.dll in the specified path'.

The support center's advise for this *suggests* a problem that:

"when you install Microsoft XML (MSXML) 4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) on a
computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or on
a computer that is running Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2), the
Microsoft Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP) proxy configuration tool
(Proxycfg.exe) does not set the WinHTTP proxy settings, and you receive
the following error message:" the dll missing error I'm getting.

I've Win 2000 Pro SP4, not SP1 or SP2, but I did have Microsoft XML
(MSXML) 4.0 SP2 installed at the time.

So the advise said to copy Proxycfg.exe from a Windows Server 2003 to my
win system32 dir. BUT I have no Windows Server 2003 installation.

In an effort to get around the problem I uninstalled Microsoft XML (MSXML)
4.0 SP2 since the advise said this was causing the proxycfg error. This
was probably not a good idea because straight after the uninstall
proxycfg.exe had completely disappeared from my system.

Is there any way to get a working copy of proxycfg.exe so I can fix my win
update problem?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as to how to get windows update
working again.

Is there another way of update than using the update url?
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Please help, thanks and regards,

MS

ms