Icewind

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
I have purchased A8N-E (nVidia nForce4 ultra) motherboard with Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 2 GB Memory about 1 year ago.
Recently my computer experiences random crashes and reboots during various activities. These crashes and reboots are:
-Computer freezes, weird (annoying) repeating sound from headset. (most common)
-Reboot
-BSOD (not often)
After rebooting repeating crashing during boot / when using programs. Most of the time crashes within 5 minutes, sometimes hours.
The crashes became worse and worse. Crashing very quickly now. I identified the problem to be at the Memory Cards (Trial and error, removing parts/replacing parts, reinstall windows with clean install, vaious drivers etc etc).

When I put one memory card in my DIMM_B1 slot. No crashes. Does not matter which memory card I use.
When I put both memory cards DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1s crashes are guaranteed within 5 minutes (give or take). After crashing rebooting becomes even hard.

Since it ran good for around 11 months and I have not changed any hardware in my pc I am going to assume my motherboard is broken. Is there anyone that recognizes the problem and knows what is going on?

I really would not prefer to send it back to my supplier as it will take weeks and I really can't be without a computer at this time. One memory card will work but since I paid for two I would like to have it fixed.

Thanks in advance

-Icewind

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
What happens when you use either stick in a1?

I don't know that MB, but is it possible to test using the modules in a2 and b2?

My thinking is along the lines of there might be something wrong with the a1 slot, from what you've reported so far.

As previously suggested, might be a good idea to run memtest on each module when the module is in b1...

Icewind

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Thank you for your replies. Prior to posting, I have already run memtest on both seperate and both together. No errors. I ran it today as well for 5 hours, till pass 6 (almost pass 7) and no errors.

There could be something wrong with A1. I have different memory cards now so we'll see how it go.

"What happens when you use either stick in a1? "

According to my motherboard manual, I can only put one single stick in B1. If that's what you meant.

It doesn't matter which one I put in which slot, as long as it's two at the same time it crashes. 100% sure.