Restoring System State

I have thrown in the towel on a downed DC server and, after making all the
backups I could from the mirror drive: System State, Home Directories and
other misc. folders, I was wondering exactly how much I would regain by
running a restore from the System State backup tape? Would I get back all
the AD, computer accounts & etc? I pretty sure I'm going to have to
reestablish the DNS and DHCP services - or do I just install the services and
would System State restore pick that up, too?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about restoring system state

    System state restore should restore everything if done correctly. You should not need to
    configure anything except a bare running Windows. It is not necessary to promote
    to a DC first in most situations, though you may have to run the state restore twice
    if this is msbackup (it will usually crash out near the end the first time. Just boot to
    DS restore mode and run it again.) Be sure to select overwrite-always for the
    restore operation.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "DanaK" <DanaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F325589-3C46-476D-8C4D-2DA52D6E71DB@microsoft.com...
    >I have thrown in the towel on a downed DC server and, after making all the
    > backups I could from the mirror drive: System State, Home Directories and
    > other misc. folders, I was wondering exactly how much I would regain by
    > running a restore from the System State backup tape? Would I get back all
    > the AD, computer accounts & etc? I pretty sure I'm going to have to
    > reestablish the DNS and DHCP services - or do I just install the services and
    > would System State restore pick that up, too?
    >
    > Thanks.

    That's booting to DS Restore by way of the F8 key at startup? I've got the
    basic OS on the system now. Both times you're referring to are in the DS
    Restore mode aren't they?

    Thanks Steve.
    Dana

    "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

    > System state restore should restore everything if done correctly. You should not need to
    > configure anything except a bare running Windows. It is not necessary to promote
    > to a DC first in most situations, though you may have to run the state restore twice
    > if this is msbackup (it will usually crash out near the end the first time. Just boot to
    > DS restore mode and run it again.) Be sure to select overwrite-always for the
    > restore operation.
    >
    > Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    > Ergodic Systems, Inc.
    >

    > "DanaK" <DanaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F325589-3C46-476D-8C4D-2DA52D6E71DB@microsoft.com...
    > >I have thrown in the towel on a downed DC server and, after making all the
    > > backups I could from the mirror drive: System State, Home Directories and
    > > other misc. folders, I was wondering exactly how much I would regain by
    > > running a restore from the System State backup tape? Would I get back all
    > > the AD, computer accounts & etc? I pretty sure I'm going to have to
    > > reestablish the DNS and DHCP services - or do I just install the services and
    > > would System State restore pick that up, too?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    I tried the authoritative restore in DS Restore mode using the NTDSUTIL
    program at the command prompt but there is no means of designating the tape
    drive as the source for these files or any other location from what I can
    tell using the /? to list switches for the authoritative restore command in
    DCR.

    Failing this I performed the sytem restore from the Restore Wizard while in
    DCF mode and this had the unfortunate result of making the sytem unbootable
    in ANY mode whatsoever. I did manage to get back to a bootable state with
    the repair function in Windows Setup but it's back to the original basic
    installation with no referance to the old domain.

    Is there a particular place on the drive or \WINNT that I should restore
    these particular backup files to in order for NTDSUTIL to find them?

    Thanks.

    "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

    > System state restore should restore everything if done correctly. You should not need to
    > configure anything except a bare running Windows. It is not necessary to promote
    > to a DC first in most situations, though you may have to run the state restore twice
    > if this is msbackup (it will usually crash out near the end the first time. Just boot to
    > DS restore mode and run it again.) Be sure to select overwrite-always for the
    > restore operation.
    >
    > Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    > Ergodic Systems, Inc.
    >

    > "DanaK" <DanaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F325589-3C46-476D-8C4D-2DA52D6E71DB@microsoft.com...
    > >I have thrown in the towel on a downed DC server and, after making all the
    > > backups I could from the mirror drive: System State, Home Directories and
    > > other misc. folders, I was wondering exactly how much I would regain by
    > > running a restore from the System State backup tape? Would I get back all
    > > the AD, computer accounts & etc? I pretty sure I'm going to have to
    > > reestablish the DNS and DHCP services - or do I just install the services and
    > > would System State restore pick that up, too?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    I think you may be overcomplicating things.

    If you only have a single DC, then you shouldn't have to bother with
    the authoritative restore as there's nothing to replicate to.

    Just restore boot/system partition and system state from your backup
    of the DC on top of a clean install of Win2K as a plain old standalone server.
    After you get it running as a DC, run dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix to clean up
    and verify that things are back they way they should be. QED.

    Now if this DC had replication partners, then the equation gets much
    more complex as it depends on a lot of fine details of the specific
    situation as to what is the appropriate way to proceed. One alternative
    is to manually clear the old dc out of AD, and then dcpromo a
    clean install and let AD replication do its magic. Manually scrubbing
    a DC out of AD can be a lot of scut work in some cases, so it just depends.

    The NTDSUTIL authoritative restore is designed to be applied
    AFTER you restore the backup (a non-authoritative restore). Its main purpose
    is to adjust the sequence counts on active directory objects so that the
    other DCs will believe that this data is more current than what they
    hold and in-replicate that, rather than immediately overwriting it.
    (For that reason it is important to immedately boot in to DS Restore mode
    after the tape restore.) If there are no other DCs, then this step clearly
    isn't very important.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "DanaK" <DanaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8314894C-DE4C-47E7-8797-4B1BA151666E@microsoft.com...
    >I tried the authoritative restore in DS Restore mode using the NTDSUTIL
    > program at the command prompt but there is no means of designating the tape
    > drive as the source for these files or any other location from what I can
    > tell using the /? to list switches for the authoritative restore command in
    > DCR.
    >
    > Failing this I performed the sytem restore from the Restore Wizard while in
    > DCF mode and this had the unfortunate result of making the sytem unbootable
    > in ANY mode whatsoever. I did manage to get back to a bootable state with
    > the repair function in Windows Setup but it's back to the original basic
    > installation with no referance to the old domain.
    >
    > Is there a particular place on the drive or \WINNT that I should restore
    > these particular backup files to in order for NTDSUTIL to find them?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> System state restore should restore everything if done correctly. You should not need to
    >> configure anything except a bare running Windows. It is not necessary to promote
    >> to a DC first in most situations, though you may have to run the state restore twice
    >> if this is msbackup (it will usually crash out near the end the first time. Just boot to
    >> DS restore mode and run it again.) Be sure to select overwrite-always for the
    >> restore operation.
    >>
    >> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    >> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
    >>

    >> "DanaK" <DanaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F325589-3C46-476D-8C4D-2DA52D6E71DB@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have thrown in the towel on a downed DC server and, after making all the
    >> > backups I could from the mirror drive: System State, Home Directories and
    >> > other misc. folders, I was wondering exactly how much I would regain by
    >> > running a restore from the System State backup tape? Would I get back all
    >> > the AD, computer accounts & etc? I pretty sure I'm going to have to
    >> > reestablish the DNS and DHCP services - or do I just install the services and
    >> > would System State restore pick that up, too?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

    It is true that there are no other DCs on the network. At this point I have
    the distinct feeling that any system information (computer and user accounts
    in AD, etc.) that I may have saved has been lost with the possible exception
    of .dns records in the old mirror partition. After spending some time in
    Minasi's book last night that one possibility came to light.

    If performing a reinstall of the system state backup causes the OS to freeze
    in all possible boot options would you say that the sytem state backup had
    some corruption? This is what happened when I gave up on authoritative
    restore and went to the Restoration Wizard while in DS Restore mode. I had
    finished with the basic re-creation of the boot partition and installation of
    the OS so there was a blank slate there as far as network configuration was
    concerned. When I rebooted after that the black screen with the progress bar
    across the bottom would proceed to the right of the screen and then ...
    nothing. All hard drive activity would end at that point and the system
    would just sit there.

    I'll look up dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix. You're supposed to use these
    after you complete dcpromo?

    It is certainly true that confusion reigns supreme in this instance. I've
    never had to deal with a failure of this magnitude in any of the past twelve
    years of running networks. I'd always had faith that the mirrored partition
    would pick up where the old left off - in a disk failure scenario - but
    mirroring also brings in corruption as this one apparently has. Both drives
    have tested good using several different scanning programs. It's supremely
    frustrating to find that actual details of recovery are incomplete when it
    comes to documenting the actual steps. I've always wished for a decent class
    on Microsoft server systems that I could attend here in the middle of west
    Texas but server failures are never planned and, thankfully few and far
    between ... so far.

    Thanks for your patience.
    Dana

    "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > > in ANY mode whatsoever. I did manage to get back to a bootable state with
    > > the repair function in Windows Setup but it's back to the original basic
    > > installation with no referance to the old domain.
    > >
    > > Is there a particular place on the drive or \WINNT that I should restore
    > > these particular backup files to in order for NTDSUTIL to find them?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > > "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> System state restore should restore everything if done correctly. You should not need to
    > >> configure anything except a bare running Windows. It is not necessary to promote
    > >> to a DC first in most situations, though you may have to run the state restore twice
    > >> if this is msbackup (it will usually crash out near the end the first time. Just boot to
    > >> DS restore mode and run it again.) Be sure to select overwrite-always for the

    If you can boot DSR mode OK but not normally, then AD corruption
    would certainly seem to be the culprit. (Otherwise that would seem
    to be a problem with the hardware enumeration.)

    If an in-place upgrade reinstall doesn't fix it, then you can
    try repairing the AD database: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258062
    or using esentutl as a last resort if that doesn't work.

    Not much past that point other than an older backup and/or rebuilding the
    domain by hand.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

Windows