Optimal stock timings and speed in RAM for Core 2 Duo?

Kanzy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
What are the optimal ram-timings and MHz in RAM for a C2D E6600 system? (I am talking stock timings as I am trying to figure out what RAM to buy, not how to OC it.)

On a forum I saw someone write the following:

”Rumor has it that Core 2 Duo runs fastest at 533 MHz RAM with low latency than with say 800 MHz RAM with high latency.” Can anybody verify this?

In any case, what stock timings and MHz do you think I should go for? And what manufacturer?

I am going to be doing a lot of gaming and am no millionaire, so price also factors in. :) I am going to be wanting 2x1 GB, and they are going to be put in a mobo with a 975x chipset, probably either Intel Bad Axe 2 or Asus P5W DL.

Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
”Rumor has it that Core 2 Duo runs fastest at 533 MHz RAM with low latency than with say 800 MHz RAM with high latency.” Can anybody verify this?
It's wrong. See for example this study:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1962&articID=472

For non-OCd C2Ds, DDR2-533 memory speed (in dual-channel mode) is a good start. You can improve performance by running faster memory bus speeds and/or faster timings (with the possible exception of CL5 or CL4 at DDR2-667), but performance gains will be incremental, due to saturation of the FSB. Since lower-end C2Ds OC very easily, the best route to improved performance seems to be to OC a C2D by increasing the FSB, and boosting the memory bus speed to match.