Beginning HDTV research, where to start?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 14, 2004 2:40:22 AM

Hello,

I'm going to be buying my first hi def tv soon and I'm just beginning my
research. Any tips on where to start. Thanks,

Jason
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 2:40:23 AM

Prepair to spend some time. I've assembled an Buyers FAQ (represents
about six months of research), it's still a work in progress, have a
look, the address is:

http://hdtv.0catch.com/

Email specific questions to this newsgroup. If you think it's
something that would fit well in the FAQ e-mail me and I'll try to
respond.

Good luck, it's wise of you to research before you buy. It amazes me
how many people "window shop" at best buy, pick a rear-projection set
they think is awesome and without knowing all the facts put down $1500
or more on something only later to learn all the details of HDTV.

-Jeremy

Jason <xzpqsw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94CABDE869AE6xzpqsw@204.127.199.17>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to be buying my first hi def tv soon and I'm just beginning my
> research. Any tips on where to start. Thanks,
>
> Jason
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 3:55:56 AM

Jason wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm going to be buying my first hi def tv soon and I'm just beginning my
> research. Any tips on where to start. Thanks,
>
> Jason

I started on this same process back in January and after collecting
information, decided to postpone buying a HDTV until after the next
round of new models came out in the spring and summer. The sheer
diversity of new display technologies that are on the market - each with
strengths, weaknesses, and cost tradeoffs, make picking a TV much more
complicated that it use to be.

You already got a recommendation for www.avsforum.com with I agree
with. Lots of useful info and discussions on there. I would also suggest
you stop by the bookstore and pick up a couple of magazine on home
theater, HDTVs, and the like. Sound & Vision, Home Theater, Perfect
Vision have been useful to read. Much of the stuff in there may be for
higher budgets than yours, but the reviews and articles can be useful to
get an overview of your options.

For info on the new DLP HDTVs, this is very good:
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html. There is also a simplified
overview on that site at
http://www.digiupdate.com/100_Selecting_HD_Display.html, but it is
useful as a starting reference.

Hope this helps.

Alan Figgatt
Related resources
April 14, 2004 4:45:55 AM

I'am about ready to do the same and I've been to Amazon.com,
CircuitCity.com, and Epinions.com for reviews for TV's I'm interested in.
Comparing different manufactures TV's is a hard thing to do but I would stay
away from off-brand stuff.
Stores are set up to show off the sets in a dark enviroment so be aware.
UB

"Jason" <xzpqsw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to be buying my first hi def tv soon and I'm just beginning my
> research. Any tips on where to start. Thanks,
>
> Jason
April 14, 2004 5:30:26 AM

Try www.avsforum.com. they have a good group of people there.
Clay
"Jason" <xzpqsw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to be buying my first hi def tv soon and I'm just beginning my
> research. Any tips on where to start. Thanks,
>
> Jason
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 9:19:05 PM

"Badger" <cferriola@1removenumbers2triad.3rr.4com> wrote in message

> Try www.avsforum.com. they have a good group of people there.
> Clay

I second that... that place is a gold mine of information about anything
A/V. If you want just SONY info go to www.agoraquest.com that's a nice
place too if you want that particular brand. Might even help for general
questions too.

--Brenden

!