Win 2000 Pro Will Not Boot

My wife's computer has been working fine until tonight. When turn on it will
load up and boot seemingly normal until the Desktop is to appear, then the
screen is blue with the task bar (no icons) is on the left side of the screen.
All stops there, I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del and the dialog box appears, but it
has nothing listed in the task manager is.
I have turned off and rebooted several times.
Any Suggestions
George

Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
string value of;
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
found at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

The profile may be corrupt or these may help you.

No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"George Lawshe" wrote:
| My wife's computer has been working fine until tonight. When turn on it
will
| load up and boot seemingly normal until the Desktop is to appear, then the
| screen is blue with the task bar (no icons) is on the left side of the
screen.
| All stops there, I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del and the dialog box appears, but it
| has nothing listed in the task manager is.
| I have turned off and rebooted several times.
| Any Suggestions
| George

Dave
I finally got the computer to boot in SAFE MODE COMMAND PROMPT and I ran
CHKDSK/F. It took a few minutes to run, then I went to bed, when I woke up
everything seems to work properly.
I printed the info you sent me, that way if I have a problem in the future I
can try that method.
Where do I find HKLM\SOFTWARE\microsoft......., the registry is always HKEy?
Thanks
George
ps I will be out of town until this weekend.
George

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
> string value of;
> "Shell"="Explorer.exe"
> found at
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> The profile may be corrupt or these may help you.
>

> No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
>
> What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "George Lawshe" wrote:
> | My wife's computer has been working fine until tonight. When turn on it
> will
> | load up and boot seemingly normal until the Desktop is to appear, then the
> | screen is blue with the task bar (no icons) is on the left side of the
> screen.
> | All stops there, I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del and the dialog box appears, but it
> | has nothing listed in the task manager is.
> | I have turned off and rebooted several times.
> | Any Suggestions
> | George

HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE