Overclocking e6600 on asus p5w dh deluxe.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
As I don't understand how to set up overclocking using Wusy's guide, I opted for the simpler solution by using the overclocking settings in the bios. I set it to overclock 20% reboot and it works fine. However when I set it to 30% overclock it merely reboots and reboots again and again. I am using a zalman 7900 cooler with 2 internal fans to help airflow. I have an asus 1950 pro graphics card and 2 gig of ddr2 800 corsair memory.
1. Why can't I get any higher than a 20% overclock?
2. How do the automatic settings in the bios compare to Wusy's guide in terms of effiency of overclock?
3. I notice that when I have clocked it at 20% the memory speed is reduced on the bootup screen. I can't remember exactly what speed forgive me, but its something alot lower then the 533 speed at stock speed.
Sorry for crap description of my question please bear with me on that.

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Dude, what's so tricky about doing it manually? I've always found auto overclocking to be really crap as well. It's probably being limited by CPU voltage, so you'll have to do it manually.

Set the memory speed to the exact same speed as the CPU (i.e. 266 mhz: or might be listed as 533 as the overall speed is double the FSB. Another way it might be listed is as a ratio, where it is 1:1, obviously: the point is that it's the same speed.) Also, don't bother with memory voltages or latencies, just leave them be. There is very little point oc'ing memory as far as I can see.

Make sure the HT link option is set to Auto.

Right, now bung the CPU voltage up to around 1.45v or slightly less if you're worried (I wouldn't be with the Zalman, mind you) about frying the CPU. Make sure the CPU muliiplier is at x9.

Right, now start bunging up the FSB incrementally. Go up in 5mhz steps if I were you, starting from around 300. Default is 266, but you should be able to get round about 350 quite easily, maybe even as much as 400mhz.

Eventually, your computer will start doing silly things. You won't do any damage provided you've done things incrementally and you don't use your system for anything substantial. Now, just push the FSB back 5-10mhz or so.

Now, test the system for stability at load. Get Prime95, run two copies at once, assigning each program to a different core, and stress test for maximum heat. Monitor your CPU core temperatures (you should have Asus PC Probe or something similar on your ASUS disc) and make sure they don't go above 60 degrees. (You can also usually set something in the BIOS to shut the comp down if the CPU gets too hot, which you might want to do) If both cores are stable after a few hours and not too hot, that's usually good enough for me.

You should be able to get 40-50% overclock, I'd have thought.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
If you are using the Asus overlocking features in the BIOS, don't. Simple as I can be, make your BIOS look like this:

dsc00205qk8.jpg

That will give you a 3.0 Ghz clock speed. Increase the FSB further and slowly up the vCore voltage if you want to go higher. Also for the memory voltage, set it at what the manufacturer says it should be at. Corsair rated mine at 2.1 volts, so that's what I set it at. If you want to do further tweaking, go into the chipset feature page and disable "Configuring DRAM Timing by SPD" and you can manually set your memory timings based on what your sticks are rated for, like this:

dsc00206pn8.jpg

Hope that helps.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Oh great. thanks jamie and nova. Sorry Jamie I didn't quite catch what was going on there and I'm sure you left a few things out which would be crucial to a successful overclock. Nova thats fantastic. So are you saying that that is all I have to do in order to overclock my chip? Nothing else? Not turn anything else off or on or change Pci speed? If not thats great I'll do it when I get in later tonight after my gig. If there is more (I'm sure there is which is why I was so confused by Wusy's guide) then please let me know via screenshots which are so useful. Stuff like turning off c1e and all that.
Thanks youre a star.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
That's all really. Just go back to Wusy's guide and disable all the extra features it lists there, like the fan speed controller stuff etc.