Make a CD?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have tried to copy files onto a CD using windows XP - each time I try the
machine hangs - I just end up using my old Roxio software instead - any
ideas please.

Thanks in advance
24 answers Last reply
More about make
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third party
    program.

    "paul.hoyle" <paul.hoylewhowantsnospam@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have tried to copy files onto a CD using windows XP - each time I try the
    > machine hangs - I just end up using my old Roxio software instead - any
    > ideas please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third party
    > program.

    Not true. XP will not burn DVDs, but it will burn CDs in a DVD/CD combo
    burner.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    William Li, MS PSS, resolved an issue I raised about not being able to write
    to cd in a dvd writer with the Windows software. Li resolved the case,
    SRZ040916004051, with the conclusion that, since the included cd writing
    software in XP does not support writing to all-in-one drives like the pair I
    have on my system, that I could not write to a cd in either drive with the
    current version of the XP software. He advised third party software.

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third
    >> party program.
    >>

    > Not true. XP will not burn DVDs, but it will burn CDs in a DVD/CD combo
    > burner.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi

    See if the following article by MVP Alex Nichol helps you:

    "Burning CDs in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "paul.hoyle" <paul.hoylewhowantsnospam@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have tried to copy files onto a CD using windows XP - each time I try the
    > machine hangs - I just end up using my old Roxio software instead - any
    > ideas please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks to you all

    Colin my drive is a combo drive like yours - so I'll stick to the Roxio
    software.

    Cheers mate

    Paul

    > William Li, MS PSS, resolved an issue I raised about not being able to
    write
    > to cd in a dvd writer with the Windows software. Li resolved the case,
    > SRZ040916004051, with the conclusion that, since the included cd writing
    > software in XP does not support writing to all-in-one drives like the pair
    > have on my system, that I could not write to a cd in either drive with the
    > current version of the XP software. He advised third party software.

    > "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > >> If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third
    > >> party program.
    > >>

    > > Not true. XP will not burn DVDs, but it will burn CDs in a DVD/CD combo
    > > burner.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You're welcome. I use Roxio too. I also use Nero.

    > Thanks to you all
    >
    > Colin my drive is a combo drive like yours - so I'll stick to the Roxio
    > software.
    >
    > Cheers mate
    >
    > Paul

    >> William Li, MS PSS, resolved an issue I raised about not being able to
    > write
    >> to cd in a dvd writer with the Windows software. Li resolved the case,
    >> SRZ040916004051, with the conclusion that, since the included cd writing
    >> software in XP does not support writing to all-in-one drives like the
    >> pair
    >> have on my system, that I could not write to a cd in either drive with
    >> the
    >> current version of the XP software. He advised third party software.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> > Not true. XP will not burn DVDs, but it will burn CDs in a DVD/CD combo
    >> > burner.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > William Li, MS PSS, resolved an issue I raised about not being able to write
    > to cd in a dvd writer with the Windows software. Li resolved the case,
    > SRZ040916004051, with the conclusion that, since the included cd writing
    > software in XP does not support writing to all-in-one drives like the pair I
    > have on my system, that I could not write to a cd in either drive with the
    > current version of the XP software. He advised third party software.

    Interesting. Perhaps I misspoke. I have Nero and have XP burning turned
    off for both of my drives. Just for fun I turned it back on for each
    drive (not at the same time, I know that won't work) and XP wouldn't see
    a CD in either drive (a Sony DVD/CD-RW and a Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    combo). This is probably because of Nero, so I can't verify it, but I'm
    pretty sure I've burned CD's with the XP function on the Sony drive in
    the past. I could be wrong. I know there have been instances of
    spurious information emanating from MS tech support though.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You didn't misspeak, you misunderstood the term 'all-in-one'. You assumed
    that included a cd-rw/dvd-rom drive, but that kind of drive works fine. The
    all-in-one drives are dvd WRITERS (cd-rw/dvd-RW).

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> William Li, MS PSS, resolved an issue I raised about not being able to
    >> write to cd in a dvd writer with the Windows software. Li resolved the
    >> case, SRZ040916004051, with the conclusion that, since the included cd
    >> writing software in XP does not support writing to all-in-one drives like
    >> the pair I have on my system, that I could not write to a cd in either
    >> drive with the current version of the XP software. He advised third
    >> party software.
    >>

    > Interesting. Perhaps I misspoke. I have Nero and have XP burning turned
    > off for both of my drives. Just for fun I turned it back on for each drive
    > (not at the same time, I know that won't work) and XP wouldn't see a CD in
    > either drive (a Sony DVD/CD-RW and a Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo). This is
    > probably because of Nero, so I can't verify it, but I'm pretty sure I've
    > burned CD's with the XP function on the Sony drive in the past. I could be
    > wrong. I know there have been instances of spurious information emanating
    > from MS tech support though.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:31:38 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

    > Interesting. Perhaps I misspoke. I have Nero and have XP burning turned
    > off for both of my drives. Just for fun I turned it back on for each
    > drive (not at the same time, I know that won't work) and XP wouldn't see
    > a CD in either drive (a Sony DVD/CD-RW and a Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    > combo). This is probably because of Nero, so I can't verify it, but I'm
    > pretty sure I've burned CD's with the XP function on the Sony drive in
    > the past. I could be wrong. I know there have been instances of
    > spurious information emanating from MS tech support though.

    How a drive model is supported can vary from any burning program to
    another. And it can change as time goes by.

    Had to give up Nero a while back because my (then) new drive was not fully
    supported. While checking their site recently, I noticed that they now have
    full support for the drive. Current replacement is doing the job so am not
    in a rush to reinstall Nero but it's nice to know that I have that option
    once again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I am running into folks not realizing that I am talking about the
    dvd-WRITERS, not the cd-rw/dvd-rom drives (which are not a problem).
    Apparently they see 'dvd' and, knowing theirs reads dvd's and that they can
    still burn a cd with it using the Windows software, misunderstand the issue.
    You would think that a dvd-rewriter that could also burn cd's would be able
    to write cd's with the Window's software, but that is not the case. It sure
    surprised me. I like Nero and Roxio better anyway.

    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:31:38 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting. Perhaps I misspoke. I have Nero and have XP burning turned
    >> off for both of my drives. Just for fun I turned it back on for each
    >> drive (not at the same time, I know that won't work) and XP wouldn't see
    >> a CD in either drive (a Sony DVD/CD-RW and a Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    >> combo). This is probably because of Nero, so I can't verify it, but I'm
    >> pretty sure I've burned CD's with the XP function on the Sony drive in
    >> the past. I could be wrong. I know there have been instances of
    >> spurious information emanating from MS tech support though.
    >
    > How a drive model is supported can vary from any burning program to
    > another. And it can change as time goes by.
    >
    > Had to give up Nero a while back because my (then) new drive was not fully
    > supported. While checking their site recently, I noticed that they now
    > have
    > full support for the drive. Current replacement is doing the job so am not
    > in a rush to reinstall Nero but it's nice to know that I have that option
    > once again.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I have a combo CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM and have had no trouble burning CD's with the
    Windows XP burner utility.

    > If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third party
    > program.

    > "paul.hoyle" <paul.hoylewhowantsnospam@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I have tried to copy files onto a CD using windows XP - each time I try
    >>the
    >> machine hangs - I just end up using my old Roxio software instead - any
    >> ideas please.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The kind of combo drive you have does work. It's the all-in-one
    cd-rw/dvd-RW drives that appear not to be supported.

    "Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >I have a combo CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM and have had no trouble burning CD's with
    >the Windows XP burner utility.

    >> If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third
    >> party program.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "paul.hoyle" <paul.hoylewhowantsnospam@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>>I have tried to copy files onto a CD using windows XP - each time I try
    >>>the
    >>> machine hangs - I just end up using my old Roxio software instead - any
    >>> ideas please.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    mine is a CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM combo drive - so does that meen it should work for
    me - if so what do I need to do to make it work?

    Thanks

    Paul

    > The kind of combo drive you have does work. It's the all-in-one
    > cd-rw/dvd-RW drives that appear not to be supported.

    > "Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > >I have a combo CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM and have had no trouble burning CD's with
    > >the Windows XP burner utility.
    > >
    > > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >> If you have a cd/dvd alll-in-one drive, then you have to use a third
    > >> party program.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> "paul.hoyle" <paul.hoylewhowantsnospam@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    As far as I know that kind of drive should be fine with the Windows cd
    burning software. It is the dvd writers that are not supported and require
    something like Nero or Roxio.

    > mine is a CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM combo drive - so does that meen it should work
    > for
    > me - if so what do I need to do to make it work?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    >> The kind of combo drive you have does work. It's the all-in-one
    >> cd-rw/dvd-RW drives that appear not to be supported.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >> >I have a combo CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM and have had no trouble burning CD's with
    >> >the Windows XP burner utility.
    >> >
    >> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    > any

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:45:00 -0700, Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    > I am running into folks not realizing that I am talking about the
    > dvd-WRITERS, not the cd-rw/dvd-rom drives (which are not a problem).
    > Apparently they see 'dvd' and, knowing theirs reads dvd's and that they can
    > still burn a cd with it using the Windows software, misunderstand the issue.
    > You would think that a dvd-rewriter that could also burn cd's would be able
    > to write cd's with the Window's software, but that is not the case. It sure
    > surprised me. I like Nero and Roxio better anyway.

    Colin, I understand and was talking about a cd/rw/dvd-r/-rw drive. It was a
    challenge finding a software package that would work with it when I first
    installed it. Even the freebie that shipped with the drive did not support
    all features that the drive was capable of. Trialed many different packages
    before settling on one.

    Kind of feel like an old hand matching up burners to software. When XP was
    still a public preview, my older cd burner/dvd rom did fine. Changes
    included in the released version put a stop that. The few times throughout
    XP's history that I have been able to use the native software, I found out
    that I was happier with the third party burning software as well.

    It's nice that there are burning features within XP but as you point out,
    they're very basic and for cd burners only. I guess what I'm trying to add
    is that just because it's included doesn't mean it will be compatible with
    the installed drive. If you're lucky great. If not, time to shop software.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I was just commenting gratuitously that OTHER posters just were missing the
    point that cd-rw/dvd-rom drives are one thing and all-in-one drives another.
    No issues with your comments. Just venting.

    I have a pair of 8x dvd burners and couldn't understand why Windows wasn't
    letting me burn files to a cd in either drive. I knew I couldn't burn dvd's
    without third-party software, but thought cd's would work as they did with
    my old cd-rw/dvd-rom drives. Wrong. Thinking it was me doing something
    wrong, I submitted a request for assistance to PSS. William Li spent some
    time with me by email checking my system and educating me. I suppose the
    Windows software doesn't pass enough parameters to the all-in-one drivers.
    I expect MS will catch up with the dvd burners, at least with regards to
    burning cd's, by Longhorn. Anyway I sent in a wish request.

    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:45:00 -0700, Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >
    >> I am running into folks not realizing that I am talking about the
    >> dvd-WRITERS, not the cd-rw/dvd-rom drives (which are not a problem).
    >> Apparently they see 'dvd' and, knowing theirs reads dvd's and that they
    >> can
    >> still burn a cd with it using the Windows software, misunderstand the
    >> issue.
    >> You would think that a dvd-rewriter that could also burn cd's would be
    >> able
    >> to write cd's with the Window's software, but that is not the case. It
    >> sure
    >> surprised me. I like Nero and Roxio better anyway.
    >
    > Colin, I understand and was talking about a cd/rw/dvd-r/-rw drive. It was
    > challenge finding a software package that would work with it when I first
    > installed it. Even the freebie that shipped with the drive did not support
    > all features that the drive was capable of. Trialed many different
    > packages
    > before settling on one.
    >
    > Kind of feel like an old hand matching up burners to software. When XP was
    > still a public preview, my older cd burner/dvd rom did fine. Changes
    > included in the released version put a stop that. The few times throughout
    > XP's history that I have been able to use the native software, I found out
    > that I was happier with the third party burning software as well.
    >
    > It's nice that there are burning features within XP but as you point out,
    > they're very basic and for cd burners only. I guess what I'm trying to add
    > is that just because it's included doesn't mean it will be compatible with
    > the installed drive. If you're lucky great. If not, time to shop software.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:01:20 -0700, Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    > I was just commenting gratuitously that OTHER posters just were missing the
    > point that cd-rw/dvd-rom drives are one thing and all-in-one drives another.
    > No issues with your comments. Just venting.

    NP, Colin. Enjoyed the "chat" in this thread. :)

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Not the issue here. The issue is all-in-one drives (dvd burners) that the
    XP burn software does not recognize, even for cd's.

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > . This is probably because of Nero, so I can't verify it, but I'm
    >> pretty sure I've burned CD's with the XP function on the Sony drive in
    >> the past. I could be wrong. I know there have been instances of
    >> spurious information emanating from MS tech support though.
    > ====================
    > I have a Sony drive with Nero and just burned several data CDs last night
    > using the XP burn software.
    >
    > FS~
    > Completely FREE software:
    > http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Again, not the issue. The issue is trying to burn cd's on dvd burners with
    the Windows cd burner software. Doesn't work.

    >> As far as I know that kind of drive should be fine with the Windows cd
    >> burning software. It is the dvd writers that are not supported and
    > require
    >> something like Nero or Roxio.
    > ==============================
    > Or download the FREE CDBurnerXP Pro 3. It burns DVDs.
    > --
    > FS~
    > Completely FREE software:
    > http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    For the third time, not the issue. The issue is burning cd's with dvd
    burners with the Windows cd burner software. A cd-rw/dvd-rom drive is not
    an all-in-one drive because it is not a dvd-RW. That's DVD-RW. It doesn't
    work. A cd-rw/dvd-rom drive does work to burn cd's with the Windows
    software. But that is not the kind of drive in question. Understand now?

    > "Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >> I have a combo CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM and have had no trouble burning CD's with
    > the
    >> Windows XP burner utility.
    > ======================
    > The WXP onboard burning utility burns CDs with my old Rocah
    > CD-R/CD-RW/CD-DVD drive. I switched it to my new Sony CD-R/CD-RW drive
    > because it's faster. I don't burn DVDs.
    >
    > FS~

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Again, not the issue. The issue is trying to burn cd's on dvd
    > burners with the Windows cd burner software. Doesn't work.

    (Always.. Most of the time it does.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > For the third time, not the issue. The issue is burning cd's with dvd
    > burners with the Windows cd burner software. A cd-rw/dvd-rom drive
    > is not an all-in-one drive because it is not a dvd-RW. That's
    > DVD-RW. It doesn't work. A cd-rw/dvd-rom drive does work to burn
    > cd's with the Windows software. But that is not the kind of drive in
    > question. Understand now?

    I own three different "all-in-ones" - one external. All work for Windows XP
    normal CD burning(CD-R/RW) as well as DVD+R, +RW, -R, -RW and Dual Layer
    with the proper software.

    It's not that "all" all-in-one" drives have this problem, it's that SOME do.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > You didn't misspeak, you misunderstood the term 'all-in-one'. You assumed
    > that included a cd-rw/dvd-rom drive, but that kind of drive works fine. The
    > all-in-one drives are dvd WRITERS (cd-rw/dvd-RW).

    I didn't assume any such thing, which you would know if you had read the
    post you're responding to. I'm still not convinced that XP will not burn
    CDs in DVD burners by design. The fact that an MS tech support person
    attested to that fact doesn't matter much--they've been wrong before.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi, you have to update your Roxio Software and denn it will work

    "paul.hoyle" wrote:

    > I have tried to copy files onto a CD using windows XP - each time I try the
    > machine hangs - I just end up using my old Roxio software instead - any
    > ideas please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP