Error 1053 - Cannot Start / Stop any services.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 10, 2005 10:09:05 AM

We have aproblem with our domain contoller in that we are unable to back it up.

On investigation I found that although the service in the Services MMC says
it has started, in fact it has not. Nither can we start our Symantec AV,
again in the services it says that they are all started.

When we try to Stop / Restart / Start ANY services it comes back with an:

Could not stop the Windows service name service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion.

I have never come across this problem before and was wondering if anyone had
any ideas we could try.

As I say, we are unable to run a virus scan, backup the server or do just
about anything other than access files from the shares.

Many thanks for the help in advance,

Neil
August 10, 2005 11:33:06 AM

Neil... I was having the same problem.
I know it sounds crazy BUT...
Check out the posts regarding the APC Powerchute software. Apparently some
kind of java certificate is outdated, makes the whole services panel go
crazy...
Additionally, there is help for remedying the situation, involving changing
the START value of the service in CURRENTCONTROLSET portion of the registry
to 4, which apparently is disabled. Good luck!

"Neil" wrote:

> We have aproblem with our domain contoller in that we are unable to back it up.
>
> On investigation I found that although the service in the Services MMC says
> it has started, in fact it has not. Nither can we start our Symantec AV,
> again in the services it says that they are all started.
>
> When we try to Stop / Restart / Start ANY services it comes back with an:
>
> Could not stop the Windows service name service on Local Computer.
> Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
> timely fashion.
>
> I have never come across this problem before and was wondering if anyone had
> any ideas we could try.
>
> As I say, we are unable to run a virus scan, backup the server or do just
> about anything other than access files from the shares.
>
> Many thanks for the help in advance,
>
> Neil

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:31:18 PM

Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/st...

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

Regards,
Torgeir

Neil wrote:

> We have aproblem with our domain contoller in that we are unable to back it up.
>
> On investigation I found that although the service in the Services MMC says
> it has started, in fact it has not. Nither can we start our Symantec AV,
> again in the services it says that they are all started.
>
> When we try to Stop / Restart / Start ANY services it comes back with an:
>
> Could not stop the Windows service name service on Local Computer.
> Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
> timely fashion.
>
> I have never come across this problem before and was wondering if anyone had
> any ideas we could try.
>
> As I say, we are unable to run a virus scan, backup the server or do just
> about anything other than access files from the shares.
>
> Many thanks for the help in advance,
>
> Neil

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
August 12, 2005 5:32:06 AM

Thanks guys for the advice.

It was in fact the Powershute software that was casing the problem.

We disabled it for the moment using the registry settings and the system
works fine.

We are in the process of installing version 7 so hopefuly we should be okay.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Neil

"Neil" wrote:

> We have aproblem with our domain contoller in that we are unable to back it up.
>
> On investigation I found that although the service in the Services MMC says
> it has started, in fact it has not. Nither can we start our Symantec AV,
> again in the services it says that they are all started.
>
> When we try to Stop / Restart / Start ANY services it comes back with an:
>
> Could not stop the Windows service name service on Local Computer.
> Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
> timely fashion.
>
> I have never come across this problem before and was wondering if anyone had
> any ideas we could try.
>
> As I say, we are unable to run a virus scan, backup the server or do just
> about anything other than access files from the shares.
>
> Many thanks for the help in advance,
>
> Neil

November 4, 2008 8:20:46 PM

I tried some of the solutions mentioned here
It took me quite a while to implement them and none of them worked.
After speeking with a professional he explained to me that I need to run three types of programs ona regular basis:
1. Antivirus
2. Defragmenter
3. Registry Cleaner

I use Windows Defender as an antivirus and the windows defragmenter to defragment the hard drive.
The program I used to clean my registry was PC-Kitchen's RegistryCleaner.

Andy
December 14, 2008 5:20:00 PM

had the exact problem
i solved it with nod32 and Ms-errors registry cleaner
Anonymous
February 19, 2009 10:24:52 AM

!