Win2K Server shell

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 10, 2005 11:57:07 AM

Rebooted one of our Win2K SP4 servers and get only a blue blank screen.
Doesn't have SP4 Rollup installed. Mouse cursor shows and moves, but no login
prompt, no response to Ctl-Alt-Del. No activity on screen after 30 minutes.
Server however continues to work fine and all processes are running smoothly.
This is a Citrix/TS server. Remote Desktop Connection also gives blue blank
screen.

Remote access to event viewer shows no stop errors or warnings.

Can go into safe mode no problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : win2k server shell

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:53:59 PM

Warren Z wrote:

> Rebooted one of our Win2K SP4 servers and get only a blue blank screen.
> Doesn't have SP4 Rollup installed. Mouse cursor shows and moves, but no login
> prompt, no response to Ctl-Alt-Del. No activity on screen after 30 minutes.
> Server however continues to work fine and all processes are running smoothly.
> This is a Citrix/TS server. Remote Desktop Connection also gives blue blank
> screen.
>
> Remote access to event viewer shows no stop errors or warnings.
>
> Can go into safe mode no problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/st...

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: