Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with Home network PLZZZ

Last response: in Networking
July 14, 2006 7:01:22 AM

I'm looking to setup a home network with my primary PC on the main level wired to the broadband modem. But the problem is that I want to have two kids computers (Just basic Pentium3) on the upper floor in the kids room.
What are my options to set this up. If I need these computers to be on the internet, my thoughts were that I will need to run an ethernet cable through the walls (Ouch!)
What would be the most appropriate approach, obviously I'm price conscious so I dont want to spend a fortune and would be setting it up myself.
Please help. Thanks

More about : home network plzzz

July 14, 2006 12:55:22 PM

Well... If you want cheap then run the wire. If you want expensive then buy a wireless AP and connect it to your router. Something like a DLink 2100AP and then buy 2 wireless cards to put into each machine. That will give you everything that you need. Will cost you around 150-200 for the complete setup.
July 14, 2006 5:30:59 PM

The cheap way will not be as cheap as you think. You will need a router...
Related resources
July 14, 2006 7:07:57 PM

A router costs 30-40 dollars. You can always get a wireless router for 60 bucks too.
July 14, 2006 7:53:16 PM

Depending on where the kids pc's are compaired to the base, it may not connect. So Wireless is not a slam dunk. Many people have problems trying to connect when they try to shoot through floors. It is a big signal killer.
July 16, 2006 12:29:00 AM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your advices. I also did some more research, looks like I have two main options:
Option 1)
Run ethernet wires from the main floor computer room through the walls into the kids room (or I can go outside the house and run wires up along the exterior wall from outside the house and come into the kids room)
Question: Since there will be two kids computers, will I need a router or switch to have 2 available ports for each wire? Also, which do I need router or switch?

Option 2)
Buy a wireless router and have the kids computers installed with wireless cards. Definitely less labor in this choice however, could have connectivity issues like the other person suggested.
Question: For signal issues are there any devices like signal boosters/amplifiers that might help, secondly why would I need an access point with the router as Mickey suggested.

Thanks again for your suggestions in advance,
July 16, 2006 1:07:36 AM

Question 1. You can run 1 cat5e cable, then use a cheap hub ($5-10). If you run the cable outside you will need one that is rated for outside use. If you decide to do the work your self, most hardware stores have long bits for going through floors or walls.

Question 2. More cost with wireless and lower performance. Will need two wireless cards or run set up a bridge, which is more expensive. The throughput with the wireless will be rather slow with 2 users. 54 - overhead = 37mbps / 2 = 18.5 best case snerio. Then this is cut in 1/2 due to 1/2 duplex. This is all based on a excelent signal. Floors are hard to penatrate.

AP have better electronics than combo router units. They do not have to share the cpu and ram with other router functions, making them more reliable and out performing there counter parts. Most come with high gain antennas, which penitrate obsticles better, with longer range.

If you have any cordless phones operating in the 2.4 ghz range, will cause interference with the 11g.

With that said. If the kids pc are directly above the router, you may not have any problem.

I have tried penetrating foors and they are hit and miss. Relocating the computer a distance of 1-2' can make the difference of connecting or not.